Homebrew Question Heroes of Might & Magic II & III on switch ?

Mc_Burt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would like to know if it is possible to play Heroes of Might & Magic II or III on the switch and via which emulator?
I search but I don't find information on it.
Thank you :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Heroes of Might and Magic II is on Gameboy color (and more, but only GBC seems to be an option for Switch, unless DOS box works fine too?).
it's probably easy to find a GBC emulator with retroarch or lakka.
I don't know if GBA emulators can run GBC too. (maybe mGBA or VBA next?)

Heroes of Might & Magic III is apparently on Android, Linux, Dreamcast (and more but these 3 are working on Switch)
Reicast is a Dreamcast emulator homebrew (nro), so you can use atmosphere or your preferred cfw.

Android is now possible very easily with LineageOS, and a dedicated SD card. you boot your switch into a Nvidia Shield.
Actually, while in Android, you probably will find lot of GBC emulators on google appstore to play Heroes of M&M II

There's also L4T linux for Switch (another dedicated SD card), if you want to play the linux version of the game, but you might need to know how linux work, and how to install the game.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Mc_Burt

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Both are games that have had source remakes (for others playing along if the game is not featured on https://osgameclones.com/ or similar then chances of it being playable outside of any console ports that it might have had are slim, unless it is really old and you can use DOS emulation instead) but nothing I am aware of specifically for the Switch, and I don't expect we will see a rerun of the GBA, DS, xbox, Wii and PSP where things were being ported left, right and centre.

Anyway neither have been specifically ported to the Switch or ARM Linux that I am aware of. The recreation of 3 does have an android version and I see there is an android port for the Switch these days so that would be the best route.
https://wiki.vcmi.eu/Installation_on_Android

The recreation of 2 is lagging behind 3 these days (3 did get insanely popular, which is a pity as 2 gold is probably my favourite version of all of them) and is stuck on PC right now ( https://github.com/ciplogic/fheroes2enh for a more updated fork), though it does appear to use SDL so it might be a better candidate than some others. There is a version of heroes 2 for the GBC but... yeah.

If you fancy kicking it a bit more old school then some of the ports of King's Bounty might do something for you, and should be more readily emulated. I have never tried said ports though so I have no idea how that plays out, and a quick search says some are fairly substantial changes. Also King's Bounty is a bit different to Heroes.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to know if it is possible to play Heroes of Might & Magic II or III on the switch and via which emulator?
I search but I don't find information on it.
Thank you :)

There are I and II called

Heroes of Might and Magic I-II Gold Switch and I think it is homebrew. Just let you know.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I am not sure with the translation (I am french). You mean it will be available on switch ?

That's ok. I am Portuguese and I use my own English grammar.. not with the translation, heh.

No. It was from another system but someone already hacked it and it can be playing on Switch. You can google it. Just type the name that I gave it to you above.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Concerning HOMM 1&2: Whatever "RELEASE" you find online is just Retroarch DosBox core bundled with the games.

Yes, you can play many old MS-Dos games on your switch using Retroarch+Dosbox SVN core. This is old news, and I tested Heroes of Might and Magic 1 & 2 on Dosbox-SVN months ago and yes they worked great.

There's no need for any release or anything. Just grab Retroarch and the DosboxSVN and run those and any other MS DOS games that way. System Shock works too by the way.

Here's my old Tweet from March 24 about Dosbox running those games on Switch:
https://twitter.com/rsn8887/status/1109885752555515904?s=20

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BTW any illegal Piracy "Releases" of HOMM that you find online are not by me, I never released any pirated version of HOMM. It is just somebody wrongly putting my name on it. And all they did is bundle the game with Retroarch Dosbox, nothing else.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
That tweet is old, cd music in HOMM2 is supported if you use the DosBox imgmount command to mount a .cue/.bin version of the game where all audio is already inside the single .bin.

I bought the game from gog.com, it works fine but they botched the cd audio, they separated into several .ogg files that don't work on Switch. However midi audio works fine if you use their release.

Attached are my config files that I used with the gog release for the game, you can adapt them to your system if you want. It helps to configure and install the games on Windows/Macos Dosbox first and then transfer them to your Switch when you already confirmed they are working (correct sound/music setup etc.).

Note those .conf files need editing with a text editor to adjust to your path.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nothing to do with old news. He is new and I am telling him to get it if he really wants it. It is not necessarily to say this is old news. SMH.

Just don't point him to something I never released, which says "Publisher: rsn8887 m4xw" on it which is a lie.

Attachments

• HOMM1_2_DosboxSVN_Config_Files.zip
    708 bytes · Views: 176
Reactions: Zense

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
No problem there was no way to know. I just wished those sites wouldn't put my name on piracy "releases" that I never did.

You can read in the small print that it is just a bundle of dosboxSVN and the game files, and it says there they put rsn8887 and m4xw names on it because we worked on DosboxSVN core. That doesn't mean we are the "Publisher" of the bundle of emu+roms though. It is annoying someone would put our names on there without asking.

Last edited by rsn8887,

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Heroes of Might and Magic III never got ported to the switch right? only Heroes of Might and Magic II did via the 'fheroes2' project?

If that is the case, what would be the best way to play HOMM3 on the switch currently, without having to install Android or Linux?

I found this https://vcmi.eu/ which got a recent update but it doesn't appear to support the HD Edition of the game which I would prefer..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended