Here is the real reason to upgrade to 4.2!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mk123a, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2009
  1. mk123a
    OP

Newcomer mk123a Advanced Member

I'm all for the latest and greatest but what does this update achieve in terms of anything. Lets look at what we know this update does:

Cons
    - Tries to kill homebrew b/c sysmenu 4.2 tries to delete channel titles HAXX, DVDX, etc.
    - Updates all IOS'es to be trucha free.
    - Stubs all the CIOS locations (missed out on 250 though thanks to Wanin, silly Nintendo)
    - Lack of Preloader hacks/ 0.29 needs to be updated to address the HAXX -> J0DI change
    - Region locks your Wii. You can't run import games legit or backup from the Disc Channel. Pal backups on NTSC wii show up as an invalid disc and this was with me regionfii'ing the game and turning region free on my modchip. Need to use Gecko OS to circumvent.
    - Updates your boot2 to boot2v4 --> like LU64+ wii's, leads to known reports of bricking on unmodded wii's
    - Error #003 -- Unauthorized devices detected if you update your region changed Wii

And Finally the real reason too upgrade to 4.2

Pros
    - Show your love and support to Nintendo by giving up all your nice and shiny homebrew because we all know homebrew is BAD /sarcasm
    - Because tweaking and #@#&(@& around the Wii is fun, only to test how inefficient Nintendo is and how easy its to circumvent their shoddy attempts @ ending homebrew.
    - Because we like getting massive headaches and laughing at n00bs who brick their Wii's cause their lil bro/sis/mother/father/grandmother updated their wii's for them ---> right....

Yea if you haven't realized it by now...THEIR IS ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON TO UPDATE...
    and don't tell me its because you like the newest and shiniest firmware...oooh that 0.2 looks so much more nice than 0.1 next to that 4.

I guess ppl are lucky that Nintendo didn't do a good job at this update..

2. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    True, but still useless topic.

3. mk123a
    OP

Newcomer mk123a Advanced Member

nice useless reply...just addressing the issue to why I see also these constant posts of why ppl want to upgrade to 4.2, even after knowing it does shit and causes more problems.

4. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    I'll take this opportunity to ask a question, instead of making a new topic.

I'm hesitant to update the homebrew channel, because I heard a lot of apps don't work properly from 1.0.5. Is there a good reason why I should update HBC, if I plan on staying at 4.1u for now?

It sounds like there's been some worthy improvements to HBC, and I get prompted for the update every time. I'm hearing users say that they have two versions of HBC, so I was wondering how this is achieved, or how you swap between the two. Thanks.

5. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    youu dont swap between the 2. one is temporary.

when HBC got updated, they changed the title id from HAXX to JODI, which means apps that use a return to homebrew channel feature wont work because its going to the wrong id.

the fix is by giantpune

it installs a version of hbc that automatically redirects to the new title id, leaving you with a temporary 2nd hbc channel.

6. jazvdb

Member jazvdb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Honestly NO,

yeah after uprgrading, you will have lots of problems, like apps not loading (its IOS249)

The new HBC has nothing worth uprgrading to....

there is really no reason to ugrade (as of now)
    I regreted upgrading coz i lost lots of things and the reason i did it was to "get over with it"

7. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    i disagree.

the updated HBC is wayy better than the old one in almost every, despite the title change error.
    but any app that is worth keeping will get updated.

theres no reason to upgrade to 4.2 but there is for HBC and bootmii

8. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    way to point that out CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! [​IMG]

9. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    The OP is right, I mean I was on 4.2 and went back to 4.1 as there is no point to go to 4.2... Nada, nothing, nix....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.