1. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    the message is outated because it was written before d2x r53 existing.
    only hermes allowed port1, I just "quickly" added support for r53 to skip the error message without rewriting it.
    I did the same "quick update" for emuNAND with rev17. if you try to use emuNAND it might tell you only d2x is possible, but if you have all the requirement for old setup, it'll let you do it.

About the GPT and drive size, BillyBlaze (in usbgx thread) is currently doing lot of tests, it's really nice of him :)
    I don't remember how the other users with partition bigger than 2TB managed to do it. maybe as MBR. but GPT with same setup as MBR (fat32 64k/cluster) should work too, so I don't know what's different.

Last edited by Cyan, Apr 12, 2020
  2. DrJoe

OP DrJoe Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I just noticed the additional responses after I gave up for the moment... I'll go ahead and try the older version og USB Loader Gx and see. Can I just copy the app files over the existing ones (so I don't lose configs, covers, etc)?

Thanks,

Joe

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    I quote so you (normally) get a notification for the answer :P

You can replace and overwrite the loader (both dol and xml)
    the setting will still work, but if there is a missing setting (for example if 1272 added a new nintendont settings than 1271 doesn't have, but you had your loader set to that settings, then downgrading would crash the loader at some point, because that settings you still have in cfg file doesn't exist in the loader app itself.
    If you can, it's better to reset the settings (settings>reset) when you download.
    you won't lose covers or gamelist. only settings and fav, and categories, etc. (not categories list, just which game set to which categories)

About the GPT tests, he didn't have any success because his drive is seen as "512 byte /sector" emulation mode instead of real 4096B/sector
    having 4k means you can partition bigger than 2TB, if not you can't have any partition located past the 2TB mark of the loader will hang/free/crash.
    Only WD provide tools to edit that emulation state and reveal real 4k sector size to apps using the drive.

if you have WD, be sure to set (it'll probably reformat) the emulation mode on/off.
    apparently WD call it "emulation" when showing 4k. it should be the contrary, but try both.

Last edited by Cyan, Apr 17, 2020
    jeannotte likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Loader, drives, Games