Hacking Help with Trucha Bug restorer

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys complete noob to the Wii scene here but every console I've ever had I've chipped so had to get stuck in on my Wii.

Problem is:

I have a version 4.1E console with wiidrivekey installed. I haven't installed Bootmii as I can't install to boot2 coz of my boot1
I've installed the latest version of the homebrew channel using bannerbomb and am now trying to install CIOS38 rev14 via the installer so that I can run USB Loader GX
I've run TBR v1.0 to patch my IOS but here's where I have the problem.

I have all the required wads on the root of my SD card:
IOS15-64-v257.wad
IOS15-64-v266.wad
IOS36-64-v3094.wad
IOS38-64-v3610.wad

But I've also tried downloading them during the install after it failed the first time.

What happens is that I go through the first step by pressing B to skip the reload as it is already on IOS36
I downgrade IOS15
I run TBR again but when I try to load IOS15 it gets to the borttom of the screen then says "Don't be impatient, press any key to exit"
It doesn't give me the option to press 1 so that I can use IOS15 to patch IOS36

I've also tried the above but pressed A during the first step as I found here: http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios249
but it still gives me the same message "Don't be impatient, press any key to exit"

When I run TBR my IOS36 is stated as 3094 in the corner of the screen. I just can't get it to load IOS15. I've gone back in and restored IOS15 to try again but no joy. When I try to run the CIOS38 rev14 installer I get an Error -2011 which I know means I don't have a patched IOS

Can anybody help? I've been careful to search high and low before posting (past couple of days now) but I can't figure it. I understand there's a modded version of TBR for 4.2 consoles would this be likely to work? or maybe upgrade to 4.2 using one of the methods stated on the forum and try again? I can't test until this evening but would like to know whether it's worth doing an update or if there's a more serious underlying problem before wasting my time doing unnecessary stuff.

Your help/guidance would be much appreciated

Thanks guys

bosman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Run Trucha Bug Restorer

Choose IOS15 and press A. (Important)
Wait till it says Press 1 then press it.
Choose IOS36 menu. In there use these settings:
Install IOS to slot (36)
Hash check (trucha) YES
ES_Identity YES
Nand Permissions YES
Then press A on install patched IOS36.
Everytime it says "load IOS from SD", press right twice to make it say "load IOS from NUS" then press A.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901
1a, 1b, 1c from in here.

Don't rush it, be patient...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It says "Don't be impatient, press any key to exit" when you press a button while you should read what it tells. If you do not press a button during this, it's a bug. Please tell me what controller you are using in that case. (GC controllers could cause some trouble here)

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
bosman said:
Run Trucha Bug Restorer

Choose IOS15 and press A. (Important)
Wait till it says Press 1 then press it.
Choose IOS36 menu. In there use these settings:
Install IOS to slot (36)
Hash check (trucha) YES
ES_Identity YES
Nand Permissions YES
Then press A on install patched IOS36.
Everytime it says "load IOS from SD", press right twice to make it say "load IOS from NUS" then press A.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901
1a, 1b, 1c from in here.

Don't rush it, be patient...

Thanks for the replies guys. I've done 1a but it's at 1b where i get the problem. When I press A after changing the IOS to IOS15 it doesn't give me the option to press 1 to continue but comes up with the "Don't be impatient, press any key to exit". I've left it long enough to go and make myself a cup of tea and come back but it was still on the same screen with the same prompt. The second time I left it, it had gone back to the Homebrew channel (don't know if I pressed a key by accident or if there's a timeout on it).

Do you have any idea if it should take this long? Am I just being too impatient or should it have loaded it after 5 minutes?

Cheers guys. V. Frustrating...

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
It says "Don't be impatient, press any key to exit" when you press a button while you should read what it tells. If you do not press a button during this, it's a bug. Please tell me what controller you are using in that case. (GC controllers could cause some trouble here)

Hi Wiipower,

No i definitely didn't press a key after initially pressing A to load the IOS. I read the instructions that come up on the screen but after a few moments I get the prompt telling me to press any key to exit. I don't have a GC controller connected just the standard remotes.

It's frustrating because it's probably a simple problem but I've meticulously followed the guides I've found on the forums here and at first i thought i was doing something wrong but I know I've performed every step correctly and read every word of the instructions before continuing withut rushing in...
frown.gif

bosman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
vodaholic said:
Am I just being too impatient or should it have loaded it after 5 minutes?

I just did this about 2 weeks ago, doesn't take long at all, all under a 1 minute..

Something not right...

Only thing I can think of is your IOS15 hasn't been downgraded and hence when you select it to trucha IOS36 it bombs out on you.

Do you have a signcheck or IOS check after you do step1a to make sure IOS15 is in fact at version 257

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What's the last line you see?
It should be "See readme for some answers and details.". Also do you get this only with IOS15, or with the other IOS you have as well? (try some IOS between 9 and 14)

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
bosman said:
vodaholic said:
Am I just being too impatient or should it have loaded it after 5 minutes?

I just did this about 2 weeks ago, doesn't take long at all, all under a 1 minute..

Something not right...

Only thing I can think of is your IOS15 hasn't been downgraded and hence when you select it to trucha IOS36 it bombs out on you.

Do you have a signcheck or IOS check after you do step1a to make sure IOS15 is in fact at version 257

No I haven't done that. In all honesty i don't know how to although I'm sure it'll be easy enough to search it out on the forum. I have tried downloading the IOS during the process rather than using the one on the root of my SD card and it does state that it's changing the version to 257 but from what you're saying this is no guarantee that it's actually downgraded?

Dagnabbit!!!

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
What's the last line you see?
It should be "See readme for some answers and details.". Also do you get this only with IOS15, or with the other IOS you have as well? (try some IOS between 9 and 14)

The last line I see is "Don't be impatient, press any key to exit"

I haven't tried any other IOS because I didn't want to try anything outside of instructions I've read just in case I brick my Wii. I'd rather go with trusted advice than start experimenting until I know a bit more about what I'm actually doing. I've got the basics but I've always been careful about understanding what I'm doing rather than following instructions blindly. Like to know why and how what I do works rather than just doing it.

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slowking said:
You could try "trucha bug restorer mod". Maybe that would work better for you...

Right then, have popped home for lunch and tried the Trucha Bug Restorer mod. Left it on IOS36 and pressed B then downgraded IOS15 to v237, Run it again and selected IOS15 and pressed A. Last line on the screen "Don't be impatient, press any button to exit..."

This has been on the screen for the past 5 mins.

I haven't got a clue!!!

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I may have jumbed the gun here and done something silly.

I downgraded my IOS15 and used it to install IOS249 using CIOS38 rev14 installler. I've restored IOS15 and now USB loader GX works.

Have I done anything that can cause irreparable damage?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well if it works it works. Didn't think the cIOS installer would run on IOS15.
There is really no problem here. You have the cIOS installed. Just restore IOS15 and you are done. ^^

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slowking said:
There is really no problem here. You have the cIOS installed. Just restore IOS15 and you are done. ^^

Woohoo! Excellent news!!! Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated! Just one more question, I've been looking into preloader 0.29 as I can't install bootmii to boot2. I believe I can install it on 4.1E but will the hacks.ini work and will I be able to recover from a brick using it?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes, yes and only from banner bricks. preloader is not as powerfull as bootmii but it's better than nothing.

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slowking said:
yes, yes and only from banner bricks. preloader is not as powerfull as bootmii but it's better than nothing.

Fab news Slowking! Thanks again!

You guys have been life savers!!!

bow.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
To be able to install preloader, you need a fully patched IOS36 installed as IOS36.

Slowking said:

It works on IOS15 since rev14. Since rev14, it supports running from cBoot2 too.

vodaholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
To be able to install preloader, you need a fully patched IOS36 installed as IOS36.

Hmm, looks like I'll have to keep digging then. Have to find out why by bloomin' IOS36 won't patch!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
    S @ salazarcosplay: does update 19 really block it