help with the bug in the R4 that causes problems with saves

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by seventhsage, May 13, 2009.

1. seventhsage
    OP

Newcomer seventhsage Member

United States
    Sorry if this has been answered before, but here's the situation:

I recently played and beat Chinatown wars for the ds on my R4. I wanted to go back through it with some cheats (not the built in cheats, using cheat.dat or usrcheat.dat, I heard there's a helicopter involved, so i wanted to try it out. I went to

http://cheats.gbatemp.net/

and downloaded the newest cheat database (i used cheat.dat first) and i replaced it in the _system_ folder (see i did my homework) It failed to work, so i went to the web and found out about the _ds_menu.dat file and that i had to patch it using the program on nasu's site. went there and downloaded the new file (customr4 or something like that) it didn't work, so i found the pre-patched one that narin posted here

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2384

and downloaded it. I also deleted the sys file and let the r4 re-create it like reccomended. Still nothing, so i replaced the cheat.dat file again and tried once more. still nothing. Let me be clear, it's not that some games aren't showing all codes it's that a lot of my games aren't showing any codes at all. here's what i've got

advanced wars - dual strike
    air traffic chaos
    contact
    contra 4
    dragon quest heroes - rocket slime
    dragon quest V - hand of the heavenly bride
    Front mission
    Lost magic
    magical starsign
    master of the monster lair
    neves
    pokemon ranger - shadows of almia - this one was before i updated the cheat.dat file
    soma bringer (translated)
    soul bubbles
    suikoden tierkreis
    super robot taisen og saga: endless frontier
    valkyrie profile covenant of the plume
    yu-gi-oh 5ds stardust accelerator
    fire emblem - shadow dragon
    grand theft auto - chinatown wars
    megaman battle network 5 - double team

the ones bolded are showing no codes whatsoever. I'm not even getting the little box that says cheat(y) It should be noted that all games are either (e) or (u) except for the yugi-oh one, it's (j)

I have checked and I know that these are on the games list (except for the yugioh game, not sure about it.) If anyone can help me i'd be greatly appreciated.

and to the mods... if i posted this in the wrong section or it's already been answered, i truly appologize, i did search the site and did whatever i could find. HELP PLEASE

2. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    CLICK HERE on my SIGNATURE!
    post there if you have any problem

3. seventhsage
    OP

United States
    apologies, my first post and all, I didn't know where to post. Thanks, this is quite helpful

-jason

4. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    hey,
    your problem is because of the r4 bugs and just delete games that you don't play as stated in the FAQ

5. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I'd bet that copy of Dragon Quest V is patched.

EDIT: and GTA too.

6. seventhsage
    OP

United States
    yeah, i patched them myself. the code database is set to work with the patched version, so no problem there, when i deleted all of the (j) games from the cheat.dat file, it worked better. Now the only one not showing up is fire emblem, and i don't use cheats on that one anyway. I'll keep it fixed this time. I'm just looking for a good way to maintain my own database.

-jason