Help with running an NTSC VC game on a PAL console on EMUNAND via USBloaderGX

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by MatsJn, Mar 31, 2013.

1. MatsJn
    OP

Newcomer MatsJn Newbie

Sweden
    A bit convoluted title perhaps, but it sums up what I want to do :)

So I have this NTSC WAD of "Ogre Battle 64 - Person of Lordly Caliber" that I would wish to start in USBloaderGX and have it run on my EMUNAND.

My Wii is a running 4.3E and has recently been "rehacked" using ModMii. IOS 249[56] and 250[57] was then updated with D2X cIos v10-beta52.

My EMUNAND are created from scratch using ModMii/UNEEK+DI and installed on my USB. My USBloaderGX is revision 1211.

And here comes the trouble I'm having,

If the WAD is in PAL and is installed on a PAL EMUNAND it works just like I want it to. But if it's not then all I get is the "you must use classic controller" prompt, a spinning N64 logo and then nothing.

I used to get a "corrupted system files" message, but then I copied my "cert.sys" from my actual NAND to my fake NAND and that seem to have helped abit.

If I boot the EMUNAND using NEEK2O and run the game that way it works perfectly.

I have gotten the same results using E and U emulated NAND, unaltered WAD and WAD edited by "freethewads", Full and Partial NAND emulation i USBloaderGX. WAD installed with "showmiiwads" and USBloaderGX.

Thank you for reading.

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    You said that using PAL game on PAL nand works fine.
    Why not use that one then?
    If the game only exists in NTSC, did you try making an NTSC emuNAND?

USBloaderGX doesn't support neek2o yet.

Some VC games works better with the old cIOS rev19.
    To use rev19 with emuNAND in USBLoaderGX, you need to set the path correctly (emuNAND path must be on the root of the first FAT32 partition on a 512b/sector HDD).

3. MatsJn
    OP

Newcomer MatsJn Newbie

Sweden
    Part for the NTSC version being superior due to PAL using slower fps, black bars and generally a slower game. And part I might learn something. If there's no way then fine, but I'm curious to why it doesn't work.

I've tried using an NTSC emuNAND, same result.

I'm not using neek2o via USBloaderGX, I'm using it to boot into emuNAND via system menu to check on the game that way.

Would trying another cIOS help USBloaderGX? The game runs fine if installed on realNAND (and started with USBloaderGX), if booted into emuNAND it also works fine. But the trouble is when the game in emuNAND gets called by USBloaderGX. So running the game is no trouble, running it with USBloaderGX is the trouble and I'm not sure where to look for the error, in the emuNAND, in USBloaderGX or in realNAND. I'm all or trying different things but I'm not sure where to start :P

Previously when I got an "system files corrupt" error when trying to start with USBloaderGX I was sure the error was in the loader settings itself, but turned out to be in the emuNAND.

Edit: Or am I approaching neek2o the wrong way? I assumed it was just an app to launch emuNAND but is it used in building the emuNAND aswell? Would uninstaling neek2o and using USBloaderGX to dump and manage a new emuNAND make any difference?

4. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    USBLoaderGX is launching the game itself, and using the cIOS to redirect all call from NAND to external path.

When you use neek (Neek2o), it's all the Wii which is in emulated state, the wii boots into Wii system menu, then the System menu (not the loader) launch the installed game as if it was a real NAND.
    Neek2o accepts arguments, so when you use a loader compatible with neek2o, it's not launching the channel but booting the emulated system menu with the game as argument, when the system menu is loaded and fully emulated, it uses the game passed as argument to launch it automatically.

Trying another cIOS could help, but it's not certain that it will work.
    set the path to the root of your drive, and dump your NAND (or create a new one).
    install the wad from either the loader or ShowMiiWads.
    in the game's settings, set the cIOS to rev17 or rev19 [base 38 or 56?]

5. MatsJn
    OP

Newcomer MatsJn Newbie

Sweden
    Well I would not have guessed the cIOS was the culprit here. It now works, wonderful.

For the record rev19[37] seems to work best and gives me the shortest loading times.

Cyan likes this.