Hacking Help with rudolph's 3-in-1 tool

haruk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, lately I've been having a problem with Rudolph's 3-in-1 exppack tool. When I go to save a game, then load up another game, I lose the first games save.
For example:
I save Game A
Load up Game B
Save Game B
Now I lose my save for Game A!

If it matters, I'm trying to load it up through PSRAM.
It's really annoying:( I spent 4 hours on megaman battle network, then lost it. :'(

edit: and yes, I patched it with the EZ4 client.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What slot 1 cart are you using?
Edit: I just realised you posted this in the R4 forum, so it's probably the R4. If not, please specify.

Does the 3in1 tool give you an error saying that the save will be lost?

Are the .sav files actually being written to the \GBA\Save folder on the slot 1 cart's memory?

You did create the \GBA\Save folder, right? The 3in1 tool won't do it for you.

You aren't also using GBALdr, are you? It will write over the area of SRAM that the 3in1 tool uses to store game information. If that happens, the 3in1 tool will think that there is no save to back up.

in the PSRAM menu, you need to press (B). "Backup data in SRAM into SAV file" before loading a second game
No you don't. The 3in1 tool should back up the save automatically every time you start a different game in PSRAM mode, or flash a different game to NOR.

haruk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Edit: I just realised you posted this in the R4 forum, so it's probably the R4. If not, please specify.
Yep, I'm using the R4!
QUOTE said:
Does the 3in1 tool give you an error saying that the save will be lost?
No, I never got that error except for when I deleted the Saves in my Folder just to see if that would fix it.
QUOTE said:
You did create the \GBA\Save folder, right? The 3in1 tool won't do it for you.
Yep
QUOTEAre the .sav files actually being written to the \GBA\Save folder on the slot 1 cart's memory?
Yeah, there are files showing up in the Save folder
You aren't also using GBALdr, are you? It will write over the area of SRAM that the 3in1 tool uses to store game information. If that happens, the 3in1 tool will think that there is no save to back up.
Nope

I actually used to have no problem running this, and I believe that the saves also got reloaded correctly when I switched games.

I'm gonna try reformatting my card to see if that helps, if not, I'm thinking it's maybe a defective 3-in1

edit:: Just reformatted and put it back on, and still having the same problem
frown.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you play a game from NOR, turn the DS off for a while (at least a few minutes), then play the same game again without going into the 3in1 tool, is your save still there?

If you play the same game from PSRAM twice in a row, is the save still there the second time?

One other thing to try: Play a game from PSRAM, and save. Turn the DS off then back on again as quickly as possible, then start a different game and save in it. Then load the first game again and see if the save is still there.

haruk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you play a game from NOR, turn the DS off for a while (at least a few minutes), then play the same game again without going into the 3in1 tool, is your save still there?

If you play the same game from PSRAM twice in a row, is the save still there the second time?

One other thing to try: Play a game from PSRAM, and save. Turn the DS off then back on again as quickly as possible, then start a different game and save in it. Then load the first game again and see if the save is still there.

1) Yep

2) Yep

3) Nope

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It would seem that the SRAM and the battery are working, but the 3in1 tool is failing to either write or read the save file properly.

If you have a hex editor, look at the save files and see if there is any data in them.

You could also try testing with GBALdr. If GBALdr can read and write the saves without problems, then it's a software issue with the 3in1 tool. If GBALdr also fails, the problem is probably the R4 or the microSD card.

haruk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did some more testing, it seems to be a problem with PSRAM as bfoos said.
I can switch games around fine when using NOR, also, if I save a game on PSRAM, load another game up with NOR, save it. then load the Game I saved on PSRAM it works fine.
So, I'm not sure, I'm thinking it's my 3in1 itself, because this used to work fine....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F