Help with rearranging folders/ directory

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by xtreme_power, Mar 10, 2007.

Mar 10, 2007
  1. xtreme_power
    OP

Member xtreme_power GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    When I turn on the R4 DS and select the games icon it will take me to 2 folders, games and music. Now obviously playing music in the games mode won't work so I just want to know how do you get rid of it? Also this is the same when I select the multimedia mode, the game folder also appears, how do I get rid of it? Was I meant to put the music folder in the moonshell section? Do I need to just delete music/games folders?

I got the latest firmware update and moonshell

Thanks

2. xtreme_power
    OP

Australia
    Also some random questions

1. Can I use the r4ds skins on moonshell? They're the same type right?
    2. What is the default volume setting for moonshell? Is it 100x?

3. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    If you don't want to use directories to seperate your games and music just delete those folders and put both in root...If you want to seperate them then just use the two folder there as is. You can give either of them the hidden attribute and they won't show in the R4 menu and depending on your moonshell configuration they'll show/won't show there either. As far as your questions:

1. No and no.
    2. Probably, too lazy to check, and you can set the default volume in the moonshell config.

4. xtreme_power
    OP

Australia
    I hide the music folder and when I went to the multimedia section it is now gone as well

5. xtreme_power
    OP

Australia
    Here's what I want

1. In game mode, I just want it to display the games folder
    2. In multimedia mode, I just want it to display music folder

When I hide music folder, it's not shown in games folder which is what I wanted, but when I go to multimedia section the folder is also hidden

What do I do?

6. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Go into moonshell (the middle button in the R4 menu) and click the little icon in the upper left of the touch screen. Go to the HiddenItem tab (drag the tab bar left or right if you don't see it) and uncheck the box for 'hide hidden files'. Now you can hide a folder in the R4 menu and still see it in moonshell. Leave 'hide system files' checked.

I find that the simplest thing to do is to put all the games in the root of the card (i.e. not in any folder) and the media files in hidden folders. That way the games button takes you directly to the games, and you can still get to the media files in moonshell.

If you really want to hide the non-music files in moonshell, that's not quite as simple, but it's possible. If all the games are in the games folder, you can hide them by giving that folder the system attribute. You will also need to give the _system_ folder and the _DS_MENU.DAT, _DS_MENU.SYS and _DS_MSHL.NDS the system attribute to hide them.

If you are using windows XP, you'll have to use the 'attrib' command from a command prompt. WinXP won't let you set the system attribute in the file/folder properties, but I think older windows versions did. If you aren't using windows, you'll have to figure it out yourself, or ask someone else.

I can type up detailed instructions for setting attributes from a command prompt if you need them.

7. arman68

Newcomer arman68 Advanced Member

Armenia
    I agree with the other replies so far: what you need to do is set the hidden attributes on your music folder. While you are at it, also do it on the _system_ folder and other system files. I also strongly recommend you get rid of moonshell and replace it with lmp-ng if all you want is listen to music.

To do that, delete the mnshell (or similar) folder, patch lmp-ng.nds with dldi and rename it to the same as moonshell. With the latest unstable version, you also need to copy the lmp-ng folder (make it hidden) with the skins inside. That way the middle icon will launch that music player.

You can skip your games at the root, or if you have lots of them, just keep your favourites at the root, and organise the rest in folder.