Gaming Help with RCM and Homebrew

Mega777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have tried and failed over and over to get homebrew and have had no luck.
I have tried the following so far

Ubuntu using Chrome and the web launcher with three separate usb cables and three different SD cards
Windows on three different pcs, with three different usb cables in every single usb port and three different sd cards
I have tried pretty much every payload possible and finally gave up and ordered a NS-Atmosphere and that has failed to work as well
My switch is below the revision serial number

So after all of that, I reformatted everything on my switch, and tried everything above again and got the same results as before, nothing

Im honestly at a loss as to what could be causing these issues, has anyone else had a similar issue or have any suggestions as to what could work?

Edit: Bundat ended up being right (I think) on the USB port. I borrowed a friends switch and the NS worked first try. Sorry for the long update times, I wanted to make sure I tried everything I could before commenting again.

Last edited by Mega777,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it is under the patched serial numbers? If so, post your serial number but not the whole thing (e.g. XAW1010XXX) as well as when you purchased the console.

Mega777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does not show up as an APX device, I have had other issues with it even detecting my switch, a lot of the reason I got the NS-Atmosphere
I'm assuming it is in RCM mode though because the power button does not turn the switch on and I have to hold the power button down to get the switch to turn on after trying to get RCM mode to work

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does not show up as an APX device, I have had other issues with it even detecting my switch, a lot of the reason I got the NS-Atmosphere
I'm assuming it is in RCM mode though because the power button does not turn the switch on and I have to hold the power button down to get the switch to turn on after trying to get RCM mode to work
...if it doesn't show up as an APX device, the console is not in RCM meaning payloads will never work. Judging by everything else you listed, the only thing left to assume is that your console is not entering RCM. While tinfoil is not recommended to use in inducing RCM, I would recommend using it now to ensure you are entering RCM. See the video posted below for a demo:

Mega777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...if it doesn't show up as an APX device, the console is not in RCM meaning payloads will never work. Judging by everything else you listed, the only thing left to assume is that your console is not entering RCM. While tinfoil is not recommended to use in inducing RCM, I would recommend using it now to ensure you are entering RCM. See the video posted below for a demo:

So after two days of trying different things, I am still stuck. My pc now does detect my switch but it throws "USB Device has malfunctioned" and my NS still does not detect it, no matter the jig or tinfoil menthod

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd separate troubleshooting this into two steps:
  1. making sure you are in RCM mode
  2. checking if payloads can be delivered
First, I suggest powering off your Switch from Horizon OS.
Then stick in the NS Atmosphere jig you have, and hold vol+ (while still powered off) and press the power button once.
You can let go of the vol+ button now.

You can try pressing the power button repeatedly and it SHOULD remain in a black screen.
Question #1: Is this the case for you? Does pressing the power button repeatedly at this stage do nothing?

I have tried the following so far

Ubuntu using Chrome and the web launcher with three separate usb cables and three different SD cards
Since you are using Ubuntu, we can do further tests to see if you are really in RCM mode.
After you have gone into RCM and connected your Switch to your PC, try to run "lsusb" and look for either "NVIDIA APX", or "Nvidia Device" or "Nvidia Corp.".

If you only find an "Nvidia Device" or "Nvidia Corp.", try running "dmesg" and checking if it was detected as an APX device. It should show something like:
Code:
New USB device found, idVendor=0955, idProduct=7321
New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Product: APX
Manufacturer: NVIDIA Corp.

Question #2: Are you able to find "NVIDIA APX" in your lsusb output? Or if you found only Nvidia Device/Corp in lsusb, are you able to find "APX" in your dmesg output?

Once you have 100% confirmed you are in RCM, you won't get out of it unless you inject a payload or hold your power button for like 20 seconds. So you can just keep trying to inject payloads. I suggest just sticking your NS Atmosphere dongle in.

OR if you wanna try sending the payload via PC, I recommend using hekate-ctcaer. It does not require a micro SD card inserted to work, so you can instantly rule that out.

Question #3: Are any of the payloads/dongles working after you are 100% confirmed to be in RCM mode?
Question #4: Can you also try pressing the power button again, do you still have a black screen?

---

If you answered "no" to question #1, #2, or #4, you are not in RCM mode.
  • Your jig is either bad/misaligned (common problem with eBay jigs, but the NS Atmosphere jig LOOKS like it's decently high quality),
  • your right pin 10 is broken (this is less common, but I've seen people post about this due to being rough with paperclip jigs/DIY jigs), or
  • you are doing something wrong while initiating RCM. I once read someone who held the vol+ and the power button for 20 seconds, effectively shutting down the Switch instead (due to holding the power button). Just press the power button ONCE while holding the vol+ button.
If you answered "no" to question #3:
  • your USB-C port on your Switch might be broken. I've actually encountered someone post about this (they bought a 2nd-hand "broken" Switch, and it turns out the problem was bent pins in the USB-C port)
  • all your USB-C cables AND the NS Atmosphere dongle are somehow broken
  • you got a patched Switch (despite the serial number... which is very unlikely, even more unlikely than the previous scenario, unless Nintendo is being sneaky with serial numbers on new patched units, and you are the first public case)
My pc now does detect my switch but it throws "USB Device has malfunctioned"
Based on this though, it really sounds like it's either a problem with the USB-C port on your Switch, or whatever chip/internal component handles that USB-C port. Or your cables/usb ports on your PC (but in that case, the NS Atmosphere dongle should've worked)

Last edited by bundat,
Reactions: Mega777

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended