steve2606

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I have an American PSone, which is modded to play backups.

All the backups I have tried, do boot, but I am having some problems. For example, Crash 3, while it runs fine 90% of the time, experiences some temporary freezing where the psone doesn't seem to be able to load the data quick enough. It's worst when trying time trials, and you are moving through the level quite fast, the game will freeze, and eventually un freeze when it has loaded the necessary data. This obviously isn't meant to happen with the original.

I think the problem might be due to me only being able to burn the discs at 10x lowest. Perhaps the psone laser is having trouble reading the disc efficiently? Is there a way to change this?

I know it's not the brand, since Verbatim cd-r are usually recommended by most guides I have read.

I am using the playstation burn datatype setting on Alcohol 120.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, verbatim is good, but It was better back then when the verbatim surface color was dark blue. The PSone lens was very bad and needed a darker surface to reads data correctly.
Now verbatim surface color is the same as every other brands (but verbatim is still recommended).
I didn't know you couldn't burn at 4 or 8x anymore with newer disc.

I don't think there's much thing you can do about it.
try another software to see if you can burn at lower speed (though, burning at the recommended speed is usually better for disc quality), try another brand if you can find a darker surface color.
I think some shops are still selling black CD-R discs.

steve2606

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
Well, verbatim is good, but It was better back then when the verbatim surface color was dark blue. The PSone lens was very bad and needed a darker surface to reads data correctly.
Now verbatim surface color is the same as every other brands (but verbatim is still recommended).
I didn't know you couldn't burn at 4 or 8x anymore with newer disc.

I don't think there's much thing you can do about it.
try another software to see if you can burn at lower speed (though, burning at the recommended speed is usually better for disc quality), try another brand if you can find a darker surface color.
I think some shops are still selling black CD-R discs.

Hey thanks for reply.

I found some cheap black cdr on Ebay, so lets see how it goes. I wont be too broken up if they produce the same result. I didn't realise that black surface cdr's were sold.

Cheers.

steve2606

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jinnpan said:
http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-cdr-5...---p-18203.aspx

I use Taiyo Yuden/JVC and never had a problem.
Make sure you burn the disc at 4x or 8x

Hi,

Thanks for the info. But my drive only goes as low as 10x for some reason, regardless of what program I use.
unsure.gif

dccharcoal

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey jinnpan, you say they work flawless? I've been wondering if my blank CDs were the problem...

For me, gameplay usually works fine, but the little FMV type movies never work. I'm not sure if this is a common problem or anything. I'm also not sure if it's the program I'm using or the CDs...so I'm just asking for your opinion on whether you think these would help me out.

As a little example...Parappa the Rapper, the opening cut scene starts, I can hear the sound, but I can't see any video. I can see the border around where the video would be, but that's it, and after a while, it just freezes. Any advice you could give me would really help me out.

EDIT: Ah, never mind, I found a (most likely) temporary solution by leaning the console on it's left. Apparently puts the disc closer to the lens or something, not sure, but everything suddenly works! Might need to look into getting a proper cleaning thing or maybe even a new PS1 someday soon however...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It has nothing to do with the lens cleaning.

Unfortunately, the first (all?) batch of playstations were made using plastic elements for the motor's lens rails.
With the time and because of the frictions between each plastic element, it is degraded and there's slightly free joint/margin.

Putting the console on the side helps repositioning the lens in the correct position in front of the disc data thanks to the gravity
tongue.gif

It helps but with time it can become unable to read a disc at all, and need the optic bloc changed.

Mine is still working with a ~120° angle, just find the correct position for yours.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night