Help with Pokemon Games (RTC patches and link cable issue) on EZ Flash 4

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by sp957, Aug 1, 2014.

1. sp957
    OP

sp957 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Hi,

I was wondering if somebody can help me out here. Basically, I am having trouble getting my Pokemon games to work.

My issues involve RTC for Emerald, and saves being destroyed when trying to trade via the link cable on Fire Red and Leaf Green.

I've seen some RTC patches for Pokemon games. They aren't really necessary for Fire Red or Leaf Green, but they could be useful for Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald. So I found an Emerald patch. Patch was successful. But I still can't grow berries. So I think I did it wrong? Does anybody have a known working patch for this game?

As far as Fire Red and Leaf Green.... I am unable to trade with another Green/Red player using the link cable. When I try to, my game just gets deleted. Is there a patch that can fix this? A while ago I was told to make sure to get a clean rip, which seemed to work for Emerald (I was able to trade on that one with no issues) once I found a good rip. I got it from TheIsoZone. But I can't find a rip of Leaf Green or Fire Red that will allow me to trade via the link cable. I tried TheIzoZone rip, but that didn't help. Anyone else know where to find a good rip, or where to find a patch to fix this issue?

btw, I transfer the roms via the EZ Flash 4 client I don't mess with the options. I just let the client fill in that information, and I just press "send".

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    On berries they do not grow when the game is not powered (you need 24 hours of game playing time, not just 24 hours of real time to have passed like on the original cart), trying to do that outside of a system with a clock is quite difficult.

I have never seen saves destroyed by trading before; any problems usually amount to "it doesn't work". The clean thing is usually as soft reset patches tend to mess up the timing for link cable (no idea why really), using as clean a ROM as you can then dodges this.
    I did once make a patch you can try for leaf green (probably the US version).
    http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?p=69108#p69108
    Patch the ROM, don't use EZ4client after you do and just transfer it to your cart. Also make a suitable save file (if you have an existing one then try it). I do not know if it works but keep a backup of your saves.

Also best not to name ROM sites around here.

3. sp957
    OP

sp957 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Thanks man. I didn't know RTC patches meant a full 24 hours. That's a while lol.

I'm going to see if I can get this Leaf Green and Fire Red to work.

4. sp957
    OP

sp957 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    So what exactly does your Leaf Green patch do? Just add RTC?

And should I use a 1.1 or 1.0 V of a Leaf Green rom?

Lastly, how would I find a suitable save file without using the EZ Flash 4 client?

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    The leaf green patch is a save patch made with EZClient (the program for the old EZ1 and EZ2), for some reason its patches, despite being more extensive, seem to work with link cable more than the EZ4client set. Leaf green did not have RTC so there is no need for patches there.

I was unaware of any 1.1 versions of US leaf green, or indeed any version of leaf green. None appear to be listed on the databases I would have used and if there is one and a dump somewhere then I would not have had it.

Save. You just need a file of suitable size, I usually just copy a file of suitable size, rename it and let the game's save management zero out everything. Alternatively I make one with a hex editor.

If you have already got a save from a now corrupted game then rename accordingly and go with that.

6. sp957
    OP

sp957 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Alright. I just did this. But when I started Leaf Green, I got the "save file has been deleted" message. Does that mean I did something wrong?

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Started the first time? Sure, it means it detected some kind of corruption in the save.

If it happened when you saved and started again then it is bad, if it saved fine normally but still corrupted after linking then we get to look further into this.

8. sp957
    OP

sp957 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Yea it was the first time.

Did a couple of save tests, and it looks like it keeps saves so far.

I will let you know what happens after I do a link trade.

Thanks again.

9. sp957
    OP

sp957 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Hmmm. might be something wrong with my EZ Flash IV.

I got the "BAttery is dry or first time in" message. When I laoded Greed it said "the save file is corrupt, the previous save file will be loaded".

I haven't gotten that Battery dry message after I play another game. So i just hope it is something wrong with Leaf Green.

EDIT: It might be coincidence, but it looks like I only get that "Battery is dry or first time in" error after I just played Leaf Green, shut off the gameboy, and turned it back on.

Anyway, I just bought a Leaf Green for 20USD. Not a terrible price, and I can count on it always keeping my saves and stuff.