Help with my old monitor.

Moon164

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys, so I have an old Samsung P2270HN monitor, for some reason it has a problem that I had never seen before in my life.

When I put it in 1600x1200 resolution it is perfect without any problem.

But when I put any other resolution (720p, 1080p or whatever) the image is horrible, it gets ''hiss/noise'' in the image, the colors have a strong contrast, it's much less sharp and doesn't fill the whole Image.

For some reason any resolution that isn't specifically 1600x1200 gets this issue here (including my consoles like PS4 or Wii U)

Does anyone know the cause of this and how to solve it?

Example :

When I put it in 1080p or any other resolution :

Tbr6GXp.png

WVsx8n7.png

tNruWz0.png

When I put it in 1200p :

Us2DhJM.png

nN6bZ9T.png

Sx4TfU6.png

In the photos I don't think you can see that much difference, but believe me, it looks horrible when I put it in any resolution other than 1600x1200

QXNYleS.png

GHpZYWD.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1600x1200 is not a widescreen monitor so going for widescreen resolutions I am not surprised in the overscan (the clock and whatnot in the taskbar being chopped off).
That would also speak to the screen looking odd as the pixels don't scale evenly, much less by whole numbers that you want for the sharpest scaling. Can well see colours being a victim in that as colour calculations come separately in this.

Short version. Yeah use it at 1600x1200 or trade it for one more suited (I am sure you can find several wanting such a thing as high vertical real estate is desired, maybe not as much* as a higher res 16:10 or something but still desired). There might be an external conversion box that can redo resolutions but 99% of those, which even the basic ones will be more than a new monitor, will be for common resolutions to common resolutions and this is not that so expect even more expense and not to mention anything you do there will likely add enough latency to trouble things.

*might make for a nice portrait monitor though so maybe investigate that one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try different cable probably, These old Samsung syncmaster is ain't that good from corporates IT experience.
If it was every resolution then sure.
If it is just non standard/non supported resolutions for the monitor (which also has a TV tuner built in it seems) then outside of super swish borderline overclock stuff where you go faster rates and whatnot than is technically supported* I have never found a benefit from swapping out otherwise working cables.

*even then "take it away from the noisy earthed radiator" usually does better than fancier cable with more shielding or gold plated pins.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was every resolution then sure.
If it is just non standard/non supported resolutions for the monitor (which also has a TV tuner built in it seems) then outside of super swish borderline overclock stuff where you go faster rates and whatnot than is technically supported* I have never found a benefit from swapping out otherwise working cables.

*even then "take it away from the noisy earthed radiator" usually does better than fancier cable with more shielding or gold plated pins.

Overall this line of monitor is kinda shitty, I have few of these in my office, the optimal and maximum for this monitor is 1920x1080, I don't know it is probably his monitor if he already tried more than one HDMI cable.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I agree. I have 3 external scalers here, and am working on finishing the 4th one. In general they are expensive - and none of them would scale to 1600x1200.

So while a repair option might be available (dont know - out of my depth), there should be no good aftermarket external scaler options.

So trade it in, or buy another (used) one.

If you dont mind about 10% GPU overhead in games, and have access to a i1d3 ( https://www.shopfsi.com/i1D3OEM-p/i1d3oem.htm | OEM or not doesnt matter ) any current monitor with a larger than rec 709 color space ("targeting P3") can be calibrated to show perfect colors in SDR these days (not perfect blacks though... :) ) - thanks to https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/i-made-a-tool-for-applying-3d-luts-to-the-windows-desktop/ ) this might be another "nice to know" in todays market, while shopping around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.