Hacking Question Help With Moving From SX OS to Atmosphere

00diabolic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think you have the Same issue I did, Try this. Keep in mind the 3 Terms

OFW (Original FirmWare tied directly to the System Nand)
SysNAND (Emunand Installed on the System itself NOT the SD Card)
Emunand (People refer to this as the version on the SD Card)

In Hekate when using the Migration tool it only looks at the SD for it, if you have SysNAND it will not see that, so to adjust this boot into the SX Settings power on with the Dongle while holding "+" go to Options -> Emunand then select "Move Emunand to SD" after thats done your Migrate option in HeKate should work. (that is if I think your dealing with what I just did.
Thanks for this. I recently switched from SXOS to Atmosphere. I used this guide: https://rentry.org/mys8q
At the end of the guide it says simply to migrate emuMMC with hekate but that option was always grayed out even after going to create one with Hekate. So now I am creating one within SXOS and see the option is available.

1. Not sure why creating with SXOS makes the difference however?

2. I also dont understad does atmosphere launch into the emuMMC automatically. I thought when I go to launch it would say like launch atmosphere via sysnand or via emuMMC?

3. When I launch atmosphere and go to albun it crashes? Why is that happening? How do I fix that? FIXED, missing HBmenu..

4. How do I actually launch the emuMMC, again when I run hekate i just see the CFU option, should the emuMMC be there, like it detects atmosphere on both drives? I did copy the atmosphere folder over to the emuMMC folder to see if that made a difference, no change. UPDATE: I discovered you know your in emuMMC by the E in settings next to atmosphere version. I guess I still dont understand can atmosphere but launched in sysnand and if so how?

Last edited by 00diabolic,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this. I recently switched from SXOS to Atmosphere. I used this guide: https://rentry.org/mys8q
At the end of the guide it says simply to migrate emuMMC with hekate but that option was always grayed out even after going to create one with Hekate. So now I am creating one within SXOS and see the option is available.

1. Not sure why creating with SXOS makes the difference however?

2. I also dont understad does atmosphere launch into the emuMMC automatically. I thought when I go to launch it would say like launch atmosphere via sysnand or via emuMMC?

3. When I launch atmosphere and go to albun it crashes? Why is that happening? How do I fix that? FIXED, missing HBmenu..

4. How do I actually launch the emuMMC, again when I run hekate i just see the CFU option, should the emuMMC be there, like it detects atmosphere on both drives? I did copy the atmosphere folder over to the emuMMC folder to see if that made a difference, no change. UPDATE: I discovered you know your in emuMMC by the E in settings next to atmosphere version. I guess I still dont understand can atmosphere but launched in sysnand and if so how?
  1. Might be a glitch
  2. The answer is no but technically it depends on how you launch into Atmosphere. There are 2 ways of booting into that CFW which are fusee and Hekate. Fusee simply loads Atmosphere and only chooses emuMMC if everything is configured properly which is not ideal. Hekate allows you to choose if you want to boot with or without CFW and between sysMMC and emuMMC
  3. You need hbmenu.nro on the root of your SD card
  4. In Hekate, there should be an option for CFW - sysMMC (or sysNAND depending on how outdated your hekate_ipl.ini file is)

00diabolic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
  1. Might be a glitch
  2. The answer is no but technically it depends on how you launch into Atmosphere. There are 2 ways of booting into that CFW which are fusee and Hekate. Fusee simply loads Atmosphere and only chooses emuMMC if everything is configured properly which is not ideal. Hekate allows you to choose if you want to boot with or without CFW and between sysMMC and emuMMC
  3. You need hbmenu.nro on the root of your SD card
  4. In Hekate, there should be an option for CFW - sysMMC (or sysNAND depending on how outdated your hekate_ipl.ini file is)
Thanks for all the info. I got pretty far along and figure out the launch option always uses emuMMC if it finds it on the drive and the migrate option in Hekate is for SXOS emuMMC setup.

SO the only remaining questions are.

1. I believe this is impossible but ill ask anyway. How can I boot using Hekate Into SXOS on 11.0.0? Is there a way to get Hekate to see the SXOS on either another emuMMC or on sysNAND? I currently only have a emuMMC with atmosphere on 13.00. I can create another emuMMC for SXOS on 11.0.0. It seems only StardustCFW can allow you to dual boot either one, why not Hekate?

2. Will AutoRCM continue to work? I know AutoRCM is still on because I am required to boot using my SXOS dongle but I dont want to mess that up? Booting with vol+ gets me to the SXOS menu for changing that and I dont believe atmophere or hekate can change that but I just want to make sure.

3. When I am booted into emuMMC does any of the sysNAND memory get used, say you have a game installed on sysNAND? Does it get read at all? What about booting into sysNAND, do games installed on emuMMC get seen, Since emuMMC installs are inside a hidden partition or a SD file that is not looked at by sysNAND, but the opposite might be true?

4. I was on a sysnand only system for a long time and mine is on 11.0.0 and wonder if I can take it back to something lower (I used ChoidujourNX to do all of my updates). What do I have to do to take sysNAND back if I want to. I think it involves using my original backup of 4.0.1 which I believe is challenging process but I know my fuses are not burnt.

Last edited by 00diabolic,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the info. I got pretty far along and figure out the launch option always uses emuMMC if it finds it on the drive and the migrate option in Hekate is for SXOS emuMMC setup.

SO the only remaining questions are.

1. I believe this is impossible but ill ask anyway. How can I boot using Hekate Into SXOS on 11.0.0? Is there a way to get Hekate to see the SXOS on either another emuMMC or on sysNAND? I currently only have a emuMMC with atmosphere on 13.00. I can create another emuMMC for SXOS on 11.0.0. It seems only StardustCFW can allow you to dual boot either one, why not Hekate?

2. Will AutoRCM continue to work? I know AutoRCM is still on because I am required to boot using my SXOS dongle but I dont want to mess that up? Booting with vol+ gets me to the SXOS menu for changing that and I dont believe atmophere or hekate can change that but I just want to make sure.

3. When I am booted into emuMMC does any of the sysNAND memory get used, say you have a game installed on sysNAND? Does it get read at all? What about booting into sysNAND, do games installed on emuMMC get seen, Since emuMMC installs are inside a hidden partition or a SD file that is not looked at by sysNAND, but the opposite might be true?

4. I was on a sysnand only system for a long time and mine is on 11.0.0 and wonder if I can take it back to something lower (I used ChoidujourNX to do all of my updates). What do I have to do to take sysNAND back if I want to. I think it involves using my original backup of 4.0.1 which I believe is challenging process but I know my fuses are not burnt.
  1. You can try chainloading SX OS from Hekate
  2. AutoRCM has nothing to do with CFW
  3. emuMMC and sysMMC operate independently of one another. They don't share any software; only the hardware they use. If it makes it any easier, you can think of emuMMC as a second console on your SD card
  4. You can downgrade with either an eMMC backup or simply installing a lower firmware version. Remember that there is actually no such thing as downgrading or upgrading; you're simply installing the firmware you wish to run

00diabolic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
  1. You can try chainloading SX OS from Hekate
  2. AutoRCM has nothing to do with CFW
  3. emuMMC and sysMMC operate independently of one another. They don't share any software; only the hardware they use. If it makes it any easier, you can think of emuMMC as a second console on your SD card
  4. You can downgrade with either an eMMC backup or simply installing a lower firmware version. Remember that there is actually no such thing as downgrading or upgrading; you're simply installing the firmware you wish to run
Thanks for the clarifying.
1. How do i setup the chainloading? Is that with fusie and its ini file? I set fusie to point to what if SXOS is running on sysnand, or to what if I make a emuMMC of sxos from sysnand. I just want to be able to use SXOS on occasion mostly for XCI loading.

2. I did understand about AutoRCM, I was just worried Hekate could alter the setting somehow.
3. Yeah I get that. emuMMC is basically a virtual machine on the sd card that hekate tricks via exploit into booting up.
4. Yeah the downgrading thing I basically understand and that is why I was worried about AutoRCM getting turned off and burning my fuses on the sysnand. I heard that choiNX has some potenial issues with how the backups were made and downgrading can be difficult. Not sure I even will ever do it just want to make sure I dont mess up while setting this up..

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the clarifying.
1. How do i setup the chainloading? Is that with fusie and its ini file? I set fusie to point to what if SXOS is running on sysnand, or to what if I make a emuMMC of sxos from sysnand. I just want to be able to use SXOS on occasion mostly for XCI loading.

2. I did understand about AutoRCM, I was just worried Hekate could alter the setting somehow.
3. Yeah I get that. emuMMC is basically a virtual machine on the sd card that hekate tricks via exploit into booting up.
4. Yeah the downgrading thing I basically understand and that is why I was worried about AutoRCM getting turned off and burning my fuses on the sysnand. I heard that choiNX has some potenial issues with how the backups were made and downgrading can be difficult. Not sure I even will ever do it just want to make sure I dont mess up while setting this up..
  1. You can do that or just put any payload you want to launch in the /payloads folder then then boot that from Hekate.

JpTetro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you have the Same issue I did, Try this. Keep in mind the 3 Terms

OFW (Original FirmWare tied directly to the System Nand)
SysNAND (Emunand Installed on the System itself NOT the SD Card)
Emunand (People refer to this as the version on the SD Card)

In Hekate when using the Migration tool it only looks at the SD for it, if you have SysNAND it will not see that, so to adjust this boot into the SX Settings power on with the Dongle while holding "+" go to Options -> Emunand then select "Move Emunand to SD" after thats done your Migrate option in HeKate should work. (that is if I think your dealing with what I just did.
I don't have that option, in Options -> Emunand, I only have Create Emunand or Delte Emunand .. any idea why ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn