Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bought a Linksys Router is it Wireless? And how can I hook it up?
Ok I got a Linksys Router Model BEFSR41 ver.4 I am not sure if its a router or a wireless router. Will this router work on my Nintendo DS or PSP? Also I can not hook it up to my computer because on my computer I don't have a Ethernet plug. I get on the internet by using a USB instead of ethernet on my Modem cause my Modem exepts both Ethernet and USB. But my Linksys doesn't have a USB port so I can't put my USB in it.

Also I got those yellow ethernet cords so I take that cord and put it in my router were it says Internet and hook the other side into the Modem but then it also has 4 other cords on the router were you hook up the computer to it but my computer doesn't accept ethernet ports are there any other kind of ways to hook it up?

Like can I hook it up by doing this connecting the computer and the Modem together using the USB then put a ethernet connector into the linksys Internet cord and put the other side also into the Modem?

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
For starters: stick the code into Google and read the manufacturer's description. Or failing that, the instruction manual. This is not a wireless product.

How many computers are you trying to connect to the internet?

There is no way to connect this particular router to your computer in it's current state. You will need to get an Ethernet network card installed in your PC.

Otherwise, if you're going to take it back to the shop and get a Wireless router instead, you can get USB Wireless adapters (they look like little USB sticks) which would make your computer work with wireless.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dam. I can't find any of those Wireless USB adapters. But I changed the router and got a Wireless and how can I connect it if my computer doesn't have a ethernet cord any other way?

Psyfira

Trophies
XP
Country
jakob95 said:
I don't want to get the adapters I already got my wireless router is there anything I could do now?
You need both.

The wireless router connects to the internet and sends the wireless signal around your house.

The USB adapter lets your computer recieve the signal, and thus communicate with the world through the router.

Most new computers have them built in already, but older computers (5 years+) need an add on like this. Seeing as you don't even have an ethernet port I'm assuming your computer is rather old and hasn't got a wireless card built into it either.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to get Internet on my Nintendo DS and PSP also Wii. And I already got a Wireless Router but my computer doesn't have the stupid ethernet port so I don't know how to connect my Linksys and my Computer together.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would personally check around for used wireless routers, holding the reset button clears all of the info on it.

In fact just go ahead and return the one you purchased and get a cheapo linksys

You can go ahead and use WEP so the NDS can access it. I think PSP can do wep and wpa not 100% sure though.

c0pE89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you really need to get a ethernet card and pop it in your pc that would solve all this and a cheap one is like 10 bucks

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I recently bought a Sagem xg-703a wireless USB. When I put it in my computer it makes my computer wireless so it can catch connections which works good(Though I already have my own Internet Modem DSL). Can I make this chip work like a wireless router or something so I could make it Wireless? I want to connect my Nintendo DS to it will it work or not? I gave the Wireless router back to the store.

Will I be able to connect my DS to this or I needed that router?

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the dongle to find the signal you need. as long as its WEP and you have the password or one without a password and you are set.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TTDSman18 said:
Use the dongle to find the signal you need. as long as its WEP and you have the password or one without a password and you are set.

What do you mean. I set up all the connections but I can't find it on my DS whats wrong maybe this device doesn't work with Wifi or something maybe its just for you to find access points not like a router for other connections to go to it.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I setup all the connections and stuff on the Dongle. Now when I use my DS to try to look for it I find my connection that I made when I press on it to connect it fails to connect and says Unable to connect to Access Point. Confirm Nintendo WFC Connection settings and access point settings.

Psyfira

Trophies
XP
Country
jakob95 said:
Well I recently bought a Sagem xg-703a wireless USB. When I put it in my computer it makes my computer wireless so it can catch connections which works good... Will I be able to connect my DS to this or I needed that router?
Congratulations, "catch connections" means you are picking up a neighbour's router and are stealing access on their internet connection. Which isn't very nice.

Before you do anything else, read these pages (yes, read them properly):
Nintendo's step by step guide to getting a DS online
Practically Networked - Step-by-Step: Creating a Wireless Network:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Now after reading all of that you tell me; do you need a router?

(see also: Nintendo Wifi Support)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: