Help with Golden Sun TLA

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by The Composer, Mar 22, 2010.

Mar 22, 2010

Help with Golden Sun TLA by The Composer at 12:21 AM (1,015 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. The Composer
    OP

Member The Composer GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    Today I bought a Golden Sun The Lost Age cartridge for 5 bucks. The game is used and it has a problem. The thing is it doesn't work, so I bought it thinking the issue could be repaired.

When I put the game in a GBA SP, sometimes the Game Boy Logo has the word Nintendo like glitched. Sometimes it works and then I get a weird screen, not from the game. It's looks like those chocolate bricks from Super Mario Bros.

Now, I borrowed a triwing to a friend, and I opened the cartidge. I also have the first Golden Sun game and I compared both chipsets, and they are very similar, which is more than enough proof (beside it's game label, Nintendo original plastic cartridge, etc).

What I want to know is how can I clean the chipset or even better, identify the possible problems, so I can make the function. The guy I bought the game from, said that he had a gba cleaning kit in which he put the cartridge, and then it made the game work. So the game has been seen to work, but I don't know how I can fix it.

MAJOR EDIT: I used a toothbrush to clean the board and chipset, and now I don't get the glitched Nintendo logo or those 'chocolate bricks'. Afer the GameBoy/Nintendo logo loads fine, I get a black screen.

Dang, it's like it's about to boot.

Any help, please?

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    contacts are either dirty or rusted or it has been dropped in water or something.

You would have to open the shell to see if there is visible damage to the PCB.

3. Prime_Zero

Member Prime_Zero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I agree, but if the lable looks like its in bad shape it might be water damaged hopefully the pin's just need cleaned.

4. The Composer
    OP

Chile
    The label is perfectly fine. It doesnt seem that the game were dropped on water. At any rate, I want to know what can I use to clean the chipset contact.

Also, how can I know if the chipset is internally damaged?

5. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

well its obviously a contact problem...

garbled nintendo logo, and sometimes not.

to clean it out.. a thinner is good to go to clean the contact, and a used toothbrush to brush the contacts.

if the board or the chipset itself is damaged. the game wont boot or even the garbled nintendo logo wont show up

6. The Composer
    OP

Chile
    ._.

What can I do if that is the problem?

7. stuffnflufff

Member stuffnflufff GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you know you can also contact Nintendo and get a repair done on it... just saying.