Help with Gamecube backups.

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Menacie, Oct 2, 2006.

Oct 2, 2006

Help with Gamecube backups. by Menacie at 6:12 PM (3,044 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Menacie
    OP

Newcomer Menacie Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Right here's the scenario, I've installed a Xeno GC modchip on my Gamecube and it works fine, as I tested Prince of Persia: Warrior Within out and it worked fine, no DRE's, nothing.

Now, I try making back ups with Verbatim Mini DVD-RW, Verbatim DVD-R, and DataWrite DVD-R and Tesco DVD+R.
    I've wasted around 15 discs and no backups work, I've tried all sorts of programs like IMGBurn, Nero, CloneDVD, Alcohol 120% etc.

Any ideas?

2. kristianity77

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    yes, i had EXACT same problem and my gamecube would ONLY, and i stress ONLY read ritek G4s. These are available off ebay.

3. Menacie
    OP

United Kingdom
    Poop, shame I don't use eBay. [​IMG]

4. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Mine is like that, so I bought a full sized lid and full sized ritek G04, its much cheaper.

EDIT: and only use IMGburn.

5. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    yeah, here are a couple things you can try:

1) different better media like g04 or g05 from ritek.
    2) I'm not sure what firmwares xeno uses but the viper chips have gcos and original cobra bios to try with different media compatibility
    3) Adjust the pot and get it within the right specs

FYI, I've never had a DRE and I've only used ritek g05s on backups with nero on the latest cobra bios. And I did adjust the pot while I was installing the chip. It's not rocket science if you know how to use a multimeter/fluke meter.

6. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I was thinking if the Wii will accept anyway GC discs but will have a larger drive slot capable of standard sized dvds then with the right mod it would be easier to play GC backups on the Wii, and also cheaper since standard sized dvss are cheaper, am I right ?

7. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    You´re right. But I don´t think that find the right MOD would be that easy.

@Menacie- Are you burning at low speed? You should not burn faster that 2X.

8. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    I use full-size Verbatim +Rs. I had to tweak my laser though. Try G04s first if possible (G05s never worked at all for me).

9. [Jez]

Newcomer [Jez] Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Have a decent burner, my Pioneer 111d + verbatim minis = everything I burn plays on my GC with a xeno installed. Also try EVERYTHING else before tweaking the pot

10. bryehn

Member bryehn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    i have good luck with fugifilm minis, and verbatim minis. i load isos with GCOM and have only had 2 discs fail on me out of 60+.

11. mcsquared

Member mcsquared GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    well i always used to use datawrite full size, never had a prob, now i use mini dvd-rs 4 for a quid from poundland, work great, no probs and dont have to bother taking the lid off. waiting for fifa 07 to appear tho so i can 'test' it:(

12. vancitypimp

vancitypimp Newbie

Get a better burned and burn games at the lowest settings. Do a scan of your burned disks using Nero CD-SPEED or DVDInfo Pro for PI/PO errors. If you get results below 95, then it means it will have trouble being read in GCN.

13. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Same for me. MY GC loves Ritek G04 Minis burned with Nero on a Pioneer DVR-109 at 4X. Tweak laser as a final option.

14. Menacie
    OP

United Kingdom
    Got 3 Traxdata Mini DVD-R's today with G04 Dye, burned Paper Mario and Super Monkey Ball, no problem, I'll let you know if my 3rd burn goes successful, shame these Traxdata mini dvd-r's are a pain in the arse to find in the UK.

15. mcsquared

Member mcsquared GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    get yourself to poundland mate, 4 for a quid of johnny no name 4x mini dvd-r for camcorders, works great on my GC and not 1 bad burn or error yet. worth trying for a quid

16. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    You may have to tweak the laser. I have a q00b modchip in mine but mine only reads the minis datawrite reds, ridata and budget (Only the orangy ones the yellow ones are total crap). How are you burning the games? Are you using Nero to burn them? The .GCN files I always check to see if they need panning out (Can't remember the name of the program) if you don't nero throws up an error.

17. Menacie
    OP

United Kingdom
    Using IMGBurn.

18. Kirby102

Member Kirby102 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Ritek G04s? I have heaps of them, most of my games are them anyway.

But yeah, you got to tweak your POT, it helps alot, and you could extend your laser's durability too which is beneficial. It's about 180-210 ohms that you have to set it to, but I followed this site:

http://modthatcube.pxn-os.com/main.htm

It should help you. [​IMG]