Hacking Help with extracting saves from NAND backup

beta4attack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so my Wii got fully bricked and I lost all my saves, and now I wanted to put those saves on another Wii with that GX save thingy but I can't extract the saves at all. I get errors every time I use any kind of nand extractor:
NAND Gamesave restore: "The selected folder doesn't appear to contain any save data" (Although the folder DOES contain the nand backup with the saves)
Wii NAND extractor: All files and folder appear in "???" and gives the error "Can't open file for writing: *insert file location*"
ShowMiiWads: "Can't open file: insert file location*"

I really need help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance and sorry for the noobish question.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So... no BootMii, then? To check if it works, download the files from ModMii (download page 2) and copy the folder to the root of your sd card.

Although, it depends on the model of your Wii console and how old it is, to determine whether or not you have bootmii installed as boot2.

beta4attack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So... no BootMii, then? To check if it works, download the files from ModMii (download page 2) and copy the folder to the root of your sd card.

Although, it depends on the model of your Wii console and how old it is, to determine whether or not you have bootmii installed as boot2.
What if it doesn't have boot2 access? I don't think it can, but I will check as soon as I can, but it's unlikely to be boot2 compatible.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why bring up irrelevant questions that have more to do with fixing a console than the original question the OP asked? The OP wanted to extract game saves from a NAND backup, that's it.

OP, could you elaborate on how you initially got the NAND backup, whether or not you've done anything to it afterwards, and the format it is currently in?

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Certain applications, tools and people have their limits to what they can do or know to a certain extent. -_-

Savegame Manager GX... is one of them, as you have to at least play a game once in order to copy a save from another wii.

If it were possible and NeoGamma could be accessible from the bricked wii, I would of suggested using the "pink fish" disc to backup your saves and then run it on the other console to restore the saves on there.

I would suggest trying to see if bootmii loads on startup, if it doesn't then I don't know what else to say than that. Download the files required from ModMii (download page 2), make sure the bootmii folder is copied to the root of your sd card, insert it into your console's front slot and turn your console on. If you see something on the screen, then bootmii works.

As for extracting saves from a nand dump... to be honest... I wouldn't know were to start, really.

beta4attack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well... Just check if bootmii works, if it doesn't... then say hello to your new paperweight.
Nope. As I thought, it didn't work.
EDIT: Okay, now boot2 works. Derpy me, I didn't install it in the first place :lol:

Why bring up irrelevant questions that have more to do with fixing a console than the original question the OP asked? The OP wanted to extract game saves from a NAND backup, that's it.

OP, could you elaborate on how you initially got the NAND backup, whether or not you've done anything to it afterwards, and the format it is currently in?
Yes, ummm *is kinda forgetful* Oh yeah, I remember now! I did my backup via Bootmii and all I did after it was keep it in the Wii's SD card and after a while I took it out and made the copy that I am currently working with.

Certain applications, tools and people have their limits to what they can do or know to a certain extent. -_-

Savegame Manager GX... is one of them, as you have to at least play a game once in order to copy a save from another wii.

If it were possible and NeoGamma could be accessible from the bricked wii, I would of suggested using the "pink fish" disc to backup your saves and then run it on the other console to restore the saves on there.

I would suggest trying to see if bootmii loads on startup, if it doesn't then I don't know what else to say than that. Download the files required from ModMii (download page 2), make sure the bootmii folder is copied to the root of your sd card, insert it into your console's front slot and turn your console on. If you see something on the screen, then bootmii works.

As for extracting saves from a nand dump... to be honest... I wouldn't know were to start, really.
You need to play the game once to do that? Oh, well, I still have all the backup disks of the game so I can play them once each no problem.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And you've tried extracting the Bootmii NAND with those different apps you mentioned in the OP, but none of the apps was able to decrypt the NAND? Does this point to a common problem of...missing keys, or an incompatibility with the operating system, or something like that?

Did you copy keys.bin to the same folder your nand.bin was in? Did you give those programs the common key?

Hopefully, someone more familiar with those error messages will see your thread, so they can pinpoint what exactly the problem is.

beta4attack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And you've tried extracting the Bootmii NAND with those different apps you mentioned in the OP, but none of the apps was able to decrypt the NAND? Does this point to a common problem of...missing keys, or an incompatibility with the operating system, or something like that?

Did you copy keys.bin to the same folder your nand.bin was in? Did you give those programs the common key?

Hopefully, someone more familiar with those error messages will see your thread, so they can pinpoint what exactly the problem is.
The key.bin is in the same folder. But I actually never gave it to the program as it never asked or I found an option for it.

DaMan4169

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Wii NAND extractor work just fine for me, have nand.bin and keys.bin in same directory, didn't need Common-Key. ShowMiiWads can extract a bootmii dump so lets try that one.

First create a new folder and COPY (never work from only copy of a NAND dump) nand.bin, keys.bin, ShowMiiWads.exe into it. Open SMW, be sure to "accept and take risk of WAD editing"or you will have to delete the SMW.cfg and try again. Click tools, create Common-Key, once that is done, click tools, extract boomii dump. Point to the nand.bin you copied into your newly created folder. It will take a couple of minutes, during which SMW may quite responding but when the not responding message goes away, it will have created a folder "nand-extracteda"
Copy Copy NAND_GaveSave_Restore.exe and its titles.txt into taht same folder you've been working from. Open NGR. use your nand-extracteda as location of NAND dump and your working folder as destination for saves. Click get saves, select all, click the ">", select all, create. It will create a "gamesaves" folder in your working folder. Gamesaves are now extracted.

I'm assuming you need that folder with the SaveGame_Manager_GX_Rev113 on SD card to put onto a different Wii but I'm not sure......and like previously said you need to have played the game once on your working Wii to restore a gamesave.

While I've never restored a gamesave I did just use these programs to extract my saves from a bootmii dump on my Win7 machine with .NET 4.0 installed.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a new problem now: When I use "extract Bootmii dump", the program closes on me, instead. What gives, really? Am I doing something wrong?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM