Help with extracting and changing safety screen in Mario Party 8

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Soleyu, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Soleyu
    OP

Soleyu Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2008
    Ecuador
    Hi,

Well, me and my friends have a tradition, every once in a while we gather and play Mario Party 8 "Extreme", which is basically Mario Party turned into the most insane and stupid drinking game possible, and the latest scheduled game is fast approaching, so I have been thinking about adding a surprise to my friends in the game.

At first I though about changing the movie intro for one I made, but apparently it's not a movie but an animation made with the engine so that is not going to work. My next idea is to change the wiimote safety screen for another image, but I have absolutely no clue as to how do I go about it.

Google searching has been fruitless up to now, and though I'm sure that given enough time I might find something, I thought I'd ask the experts here, instead of losing hours.

My guess is using wiiscrubber to extract the safety screen and then insert a new one back, but I don't know exactly which file should I extract to get to that, or if I'm going about it a wrong way.

In any case, any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: If someone knows how to add a custom movie intro then that would be cool too, but I really don't know how possible is that.

2. Doux91

Doux91 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 23, 2014
    mario party extreme? is a hack of the mario party 8? ecuatoriano,
    i dont anything about graphics hacks but with an hex editor you can dump the image and edit it with photoshop, i dont know how to do it but im translating a game to spanish and i should learn graphic hacks because there a lot of menus in images, you should look for graphic hacks theme and maybe you will understand about it and you could do what you want to do

3. Andrezin0692

Andrezin0692 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2014
    Brazil
    Ilha Solteira
    I think if your wii is softmoded u could dump de disc img to your computer, open it up with wii scrubber and find out wheres the safety data, meybe its not so trivial... dont know

4. Soleyu
    OP

Soleyu Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2008
    Ecuador
    It's not a hack it just regular Mario Party 8, we just call it Extreme because of...you know what it's easier to explain if I tell you the rules.

Regular Mario Party 8, 15 turns, random map. Play a minimun of two games.
    Take a shot of pure Rum when:
    You lose a Minigame
    Someone gets a Star
    Bowser fucks with any player/players.
    At the end of the game you take a shot if you got in first place, two shots if second and so on.

Because we generally get thoroughly fucked up, we started calling it extreme (or anything that denotes who fucked up we get)

I will try and learn about graphic hacks, thanks.

My main problem is finding just where on the disc is the safety image so I can change it. I already put it through wiiscrubber, but I don't see anything that might be the image I'm looking for so I thought it might be inside some file, but exactly which one and where should I begin, I have no idea.