Homebrew Help with DSiWare Downgrade from 11.0.0-33U

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, so I am attempting to downgrade my Sister's Fiance's N3DS from 11.0.0-33U to 9.2 so that I can install A9LH on it, I have successfully downgraded 4 3DSs through this method already but this one has been in use for almost 6 months and has save data and games on it. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep all of his data intact and restore it to his device after I have installed A9LH on it. My working theory at this point would be as follows.

1. Backup the NAND and SD card of my A9LH N3DS, which for these steps will be called 3DS #1
2. Use TinyFormat on 3DS #1 so that my NNID doesn't become unusable
3. Perform a system transfer from his N3DS, which will be called 3DS #2, to 3DS #1
4. Follow Plailect's guide for the DSiWare donwgrade normally using a modded O3DS
5. Wait another week and transfer his data back from 3DS #1 to 3DS #2
6. Restore my NAND backup and SD contents to 3DS #1

Would this setup work to keep both 3DS #1 and 3DS #2 fully functional as they were before modding, or would I be forced to lose the data on one of them? And would the NNID on 3DS #1 be usable after the process?

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Stupid question: Why would you do a system transfer from 3DS #2 to 3DS #1, AND THEN do the downgrade process that involves another system transfer from the modded 3DS to the 3DS #1?

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could just transfer the data from 3ds #2 to #1, then buy fieldrunners on 3ds #1, inject the save then transfer back, but it would be safer to do it your way, it would just take an extra week. There's also a chance that Nintendo will release a system update within that week, so you just have to hope that doesn't happen. I'm not sure if you'll be able to log into your ID again on 3ds #1, but you should be able to if you used tiny format.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stupid question: Why would you do a system transfer from 3DS #2 to 3DS #1, AND THEN do the downgrade process that involves another system transfer from the modded 3DS to the 3DS #1?
Because my goal is to keep his NNID and NAND intact, which will require a NAND backup, which requires a firmware on 9.2 or lower, so I have to have his data on another console to keep his data safe from the transfer for the downgrade.

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Because my goal is to keep his NNID and NAND intact, which will require a NAND backup, which requires a firmware on 9.2 or lower, so I have to have his data on another console to keep his data safe from the transfer for the downgrade.

You don't need to do that if you have the backups on your PC or on a SD. When you're on A9LH you just use Hourglass9 to inject the backup, place the original files on the SD and done. You won't loose the A9LH. But with the NNID i'm not sure.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could just transfer the data from 3ds #2 to #1, then buy fieldrunners on 3ds #1, inject the save then transfer back, but it would be safer to do it your way, it would just take an extra week. There's also a chance that Nintendo will release a system update within that week, so you just have to hope that doesn't happen. I'm not sure if you'll be able to log into your ID again on 3ds #1, but you should be able to if you used tiny format.
You're absolutely correct, that would save me time and I believe several backups. Would it actually be any more dangerous than my original method though? As long as I have a NAND backup of 3DS #1?

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're absolutely correct, that would save me time and I believe several backups. Would it actually be any more dangerous than my original method though? As long as I have a NAND backup of 3DS #1?
It would be a bit more dangerous. The biggest risk of the process is the 9.2 downgrade, and formatting your system before doing it will make the chances of a soft brick extremely low, so keeping his data on another system will allow you to format before downgrading. I'm pretty sure you can only soft brick as long as you're using the right files, so that wouldn't be a big deal if the Dsiware save is injected because you could update using recovery mode, then try the downgrade again.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to do that if you have the backups on your PC or on a SD. When you're on A9LH you just use Hourglass9 to inject the backup, place the original files on the SD and done. You won't loose the A9LH. But with the NNID i'm not sure.
I'm a little confused, How can I get the backups of his DS without being on an older firmware or already having installed A9LH? His DS is unmodded, which is why I have to do this in the first place. My hope is to end up with 3DS #1 seeming as if it had never been touched by this whole process, and his 3DS #2 having A9LH, starting with unmodded 11.0 and ending with his NAND still present

Last edited by Franktron,

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm a little confused, How can I get the backups of his DS without being on an older firmware or already having installed A9LH? His DS is unmodded, which is why I have to do this in the first place. My hope is to end up with 3DS #1 seeming as if it had never been touched by this whole process, and his 3DS #2 having A9LH, starting with unmodded 11.0 and ending with his NAND still present

I though 3DS #1 was the one being modded. My bad.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I though 3DS #1 was the one being modded. My bad.
Not a problem, thank you for taking the time to respond at all.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It would be a bit more dangerous. The biggest risk of the process is the 9.2 downgrade, and formatting your system before doing it will make the chances of a soft brick extremely low, so keeping his data on another system will allow you to format before downgrading. I'm pretty sure you can only soft brick as long as you're using the right files, so that wouldn't be a big deal if the Dsiware save is injected because you could update using recovery mode, then try the downgrade again.
So would you suggest doing it this way, if nothing else for the saved time, or would you still follow the steps I came up with originally?

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not a problem, thank you for taking the time to respond at all.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So would you suggest doing it this way, if nothing else for the saved time, or would you still follow the steps I came up with originally?
It's up to you. You can also create a nand backup when his data is on 3ds #1 just in case something goes wrong on his 3ds so his data won't be completely gone, but you'll only be able to restore that backup on 3ds #1. You will have an 11.0 nand backup from the DsiWare downgrade, so if you somehow manage to get a hard brick (which should only be possible if you use the wrong downgrade files) you can restore that with a hardmod, but there's almost no chance of getting a hard brick. It doesn't really matter which way you decide to do it. With your way, it will take longer, but his system will be completely safe, and with the other way, you'll save time and have an 11.0 nand backup with his data on it.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's up to you. You can also create a nand backup when his data is on 3ds #1 just in case something goes wrong on his 3ds so his data won't be completely gone, but you'll only be able to restore that backup on 3ds #1. You will have an 11.0 nand backup from the DsiWare downgrade, so if you somehow manage to get a hard brick (which should only be possible if you use the wrong downgrade files) you can restore that with a hardmod, but there's almost no chance of getting a hard brick. It doesn't really matter which way you decide to do it. With your way, it will take longer, but his system will be completely safe, and with the other way, you'll save time and have an 11.0 nand backup with his data on it.
And you said you're unsure whether my NNID originally on 3DS #1 will be safe right? If you are unsure for this particular method, is there any method that you know of to guarantee that mine will remain usable?

Last edited by Franktron,

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And you said you're unsure whether my NNID originally on 3DS #1 will be safe right? If you are unsure for this particular method, is there any method that you know of to guarantee that mine will remain usable?
I'm not sure. You can call Nintendo and ask them to re-link your ID if you can't get it back, but I think Nintendo has caught on because they have been refusing to re-link IDs lately. Using tiny format would probably be your best option because it might allow you to use your ID, but I'm not sure.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure. You can call Nintendo and ask them to re-link your ID if you can't get it back, but I think Nintendo has caught on because they have been refusing to re-link IDs lately. Using tiny format would probably be your best option because it might allow you to use your ID, but I'm not sure.
Alright, thank you for all of your help! I will do a little more research and will try one of these methods in the next couple of days.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose it doesn't matter much anymore does it? With 11.1 out? Guess I'll just have to hope that a new 11.0 downgrade gets released since I didn't update to 11.1

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suppose it doesn't matter much anymore does it? With 11.1 out? Guess I'll just have to hope that a new 11.0 downgrade gets released since I didn't update to 11.1
The Dsiware downgrade does work on 11.1, but there aren't many homebrew launcher entry points that work on 11.1 right now, so you could wait for some of them to get fixed, or wait for a new entry point.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Dsiware downgrade does work on 11.1, but there aren't many homebrew launcher entry points that work on 11.1 right now, so you could wait for some of them to get fixed, or wait for a new entry point.
Oh sweet! I didn't know that the dsiware downgrade would still work. I'll just wait for one of the entry points to be usable and continue as planned.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sudden thought, would it be feasible to transfer 3ds #2 to a fresh Luma emunand on 3ds #1? That way I wouldn't be risking my nnid at all.

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sudden thought, would it be feasible to transfer 3ds #2 to a fresh Luma emunand on 3ds #1? That way I wouldn't be risking my nnid at all.
That would probably work. You should create a backup of your sysnand, then create an emunand, format sysnand with tiny format and do the downgrade that way. You could also format your emunand and do it from there, but if you do it from sysnand, you'll be able to check if you injected the save file properly. If the target system is still on 11.0, you can set up Steelhax and use that to downgrade because it works on 11.1.

Franktron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would probably work. You should create a backup of your sysnand, then create an emunand, format sysnand with tiny format and do the downgrade that way. You could also format your emunand and do it from there, but if you do it from sysnand, you'll be able to check if you injected the save file properly. If the target system is still on 11.0, you can set up Steelhax and use that to downgrade because it works on 11.1.
That should guarantee that my nnid remains safe and linked to 3ds #1 right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My phone is pretty secure the Chinese spies tell me it's really locked down and I probably...