Help With Drivekey Modchip Install for Update Blocking

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by elmoreas, Jan 15, 2010.

1. elmoreas
    OP

Member elmoreas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am installing a modchip so I can be sure that my system will not update on me and cause problems cause of HBC and the mods I have made with it to my system. I have not done any pirate mods and this modchip is not for backups as I do not support piracy it is just for the update blocker hardware, I don't trust the software and I want to be sure. Its like my having a NAND backup and bootmii installed as boot2 but also owning a savemii, I am just really paranoid about protecting my Wii, because of all the money I have dumped into it via DLC. Anyways I just wanted you all to know that so you know you are not helping me pirate but to protect my system. I went with Drivekey because it is the easiest to install chip that comes with an update blocker and it appears to be very user friendly, plus it got high marks on a couple of websites that I read about it on. I know there are better chips but this is the one I went with mainly cause it is easy to install. The link for the installation instructions is http://www.wiidrivekey.com/install.php and I am fairly confident I can do this with no problems, "knock on wood", but the instructions left out one major thing and that is what I need help with so here is my question. Where do I actually mount the chip inside the case, once it is connected? Do I put it in the gap in the middle of the drive board, or on top of the metal shielding in the little recess, or underneath the metal shielding, or where? I know to insulate it and to use electrical tape to do that plus to do the actual mounting, I just do not know where to mount it. In case you cannot tell from the pictures the chip is about 1 1/4 inches long by 1 1/8 inches wide by 1/8 inches thick, The ribbon cable inside is longer than the one provided but not by much, the one provided is 3 inches long the one inside is about 5-6 inches long so I cannot mount it too far from the drive ribbon wire clip. If anyone has any experience installing a modchip and knows a good place to mount a chip, where it is out of the way and will not interfer with the Wii's opperations and will not come in contact with the circuitry (though insulated), while still in range of the length of the ribbon cables I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me in detail where you mounted your chip and how. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps.

Sincerely,
    Elmoreas

2. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Canada mods has a lot of very good videos on installing and where to put it. They took time to make great tutorials and its the one I followed.
    Just so you know there is not much room to put the chip and you will have to insulate it and put it there on top of everything......your not going to find a place thats "out of the way." Theres a dvd drive holes that let the drive breathe and you cant cover them, they show you in the video.

really its a waste just for update blocking, I have two wii's and one has no chip, just usb loader and my kids have tested it for 100's of hours....no games have ever updated on their own and preloader wont let them.....you really are paranoid. lol

3. elmoreas
    OP

Member elmoreas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah I know I am paranoid but I have 165 Wii Ware and VC titles on this Wii and I cannot afford to have it brick, for a mere $45 I want a piece of hardware installed that will prevent any updates from bricking it. Plus if I ever do decide to buy a game that is released only in another region I can now play it. Which I may do now that I can, but only a legit disc as I don't pirate or do the backup thing on the Wii. BTW I am done with the install now and it went fine, I found a good vid and found a place to put it and it works great. But you are right I am paranoid about this Wii but I totaled up the other day and I have $1140 in points on this Wii so I think I have the right to be. [​IMG] Heck I bought a savemii and NSMB for this Wii, just in case something happens to it. But anyways it is protected now and I can rest easy. Thanks for your help. The vids were interesting and would have been helpful if I had not already completed the job before you posted. But thanks for the effort I appreciate it greatly. Talk to you later.

Elmoreas