Help with Card Selection =p

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by mash25, Nov 9, 2007.

Nov 9, 2007

Help with Card Selection =p by mash25 at 10:31 AM (1,490 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. mash25
    OP

Newcomer mash25 Member

United States
    hi guys, i would like to start out to say ive came to like gbatemp alot for information. But being a newb im not really sure what im reading sometimes.

What im looking for is a my first flash cart. What im looking for is a flash cart that has good support and great compatibility with NDS and old system emulators SNES/NES/Gen etc. Ive been looking at the Acekard RPG and the m3 simply. I really want the best on the market. No slowdowns and great compatibility. There seems to be alot of choices.

I see alot of people on the net swear buy an r4 + 3 in 1.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    If you want no slowdowns at all, you will need a card with internal memory (Though Tony Hawk is the only game that will ever slow down dramatically). Acekard RPG has both external and internal - so you may want to consider that; but it lacks fundamental functions that some people may find integral to a device (eg. soft reset)

3. roadbusta

Member roadbusta GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Apparently, Cyclo DS is really good (read the GBA temp reviews), albeit expensive. But it is pretty hard to order one. There seems to be a shortage.

Also, you might want to wait until someone reviews the m3 real. That card looks as though it has potential.

4. 4saken

Australia
    It's the same as the G6R (except with different forms of memory). You will probably enjoy other GUIs over the Real interface (it's horrible).

5. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    a good suggestion is R4 or CycloDS, both equally strong only tht cylcoDS has SDHC support (for memory cards 4gb onwards) but R4 has great popularity ensuring good support
    Note: Next firmware, R4 promised to give SDHC yet unlikely.
    Acekard is a good choice but at the moment it's not the best since it's unstable in some ways like in 1 or 2 games (or maybe many) it causes corruption of data or removal of everything in the card(seriously)
    So if u want the R4 which is cheaper than the cycloDS, then get it or else if u want SDHC but still cheap get the M3 DS Real which ensures both (ie. SDHC and good compatibility)
    Another internal memory choice would be G6 Real which has excellent rom compatibility but lacks some features others have
    Hope that helped a little
    P.S I bought an R4 recently though don't have it on hand, and am happy about it, but Cyclo could also have been a substitute for it (maybe even better)

6. mash25
    OP

Newcomer mash25 Member

United States
    from what im seeing is that the Cyclo Ds is made in Euro as opposed to HK? Seems to look better in quality. Could you use Cyclo + 3 in 1?

I also see its offered in Black or in White and is on backorder. Color shouldnt matter i would assume since its a slot 1 cart? just a prefrence?

7. 4saken

Australia
    The CycloDS Evo is not made in Europe.

Yes you can use the CycloDS Evo with the 3in1

8. mash25
    OP

Newcomer mash25 Member

United States
    okay thanks. Such a hard choice.

R4 vs Cylco DS

anyone able to tip the scale? as in which is better

9. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    R4 vs Cyclo DS (neither)

My choice would be Acekard R.P.G. vs. M3 Real

10. mash25
    OP

Newcomer mash25 Member

United States
    ive read acekard is having a few issues. im guessing its good once firmware upgrade ? cyclo Ds is soldout everywhere

11. 4saken

Australia
    CycloDS Evo is sold out everywhere and I don't think you will be able to order it soon (3rd batch may be completely pre-ordered).

M3DSR is very cheap, and fairly efficient (though support for itdoesn't seem to be that great, and the GUI is fairly buggy and lame (7 icons wth))

12. mash25
    OP

Newcomer mash25 Member

United States
    can i really go wrong with a r4? I just want something that has good support and works great.

13. 4saken

Australia
    R4 support is minimal, though it has most functions already (or they can be added/avoided, eg. ARM7 Fix)

14. mash25
    OP

Newcomer mash25 Member

United States
    i went with the r4. the m3 stuff is to new and hasnt been reviewed alot or i cant find alot on it. I wanted the CycloDs but its expensive and hard to get. this is my first slot 1 ever. hope i made a good decision.

15. 4saken

Australia
    M3 itself is not a new team, they are part of GBalpha, which has been manufacturing and developing GBA and DS things for a long time now.

16. mash25
    OP

Newcomer mash25 Member

United States
    well i see alot of people happy wit da r4. ill shall see when i get it. i ordered from www.nxpgame.com they shipped in less then 12 hours. Pretty nice. I hope to recieve maybe tuesday or wed.