Help with bootup

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by dart91, Jun 4, 2010.

Jun 4, 2010

Help with bootup by dart91 at 8:59 AM (2,014 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. dart91
    OP

Newcomer dart91 Member

Pakistan
    Hi, I'm having an unusual problem with my EZ Flash 3in1 + Expansion Pack. I'm using it with the latest CycloDS stable firmware and have even changed the whole thing to match the CycloDS's settings. However, after the GBA rom boots up and the twinkling sound fades away, the screen turns black and there is an unusual sound (like a buzz or short screech) and then the whole screen stays black (all roms being used are legal)

I purchased this along with the CycloDS from realhotsuff. Please is there someway to overcome this issue? I don't want to have to resort to refunds or exchanges. Please help [​IMG]

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    That depends on if you have a 3in1+ or not. See the first link in sig and compare your board to what is listed. If your 3in1 board is green, it might mean the battery is dead by now. In which case you would have to go down to the mantainance section and use either the tape method or solder a new battery. You will have to find a local source for batteries with tabs to get from if you go that way.

If you believe it is a rom issue, it probably requires patching.

3. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    No. I´ve had a 3 in 1 (even taken out battery to see if it still worked) and a dead battery and it would boot up every rom I put, of course while it wouldn´t save upon starting. (Legally owned, through GBA Carts)
    The problems is, save function would NOT work at all, giving errors such "THE DATA COULD NOT BE WRITTEN", "SAVE FILE CORRUPTED", etc, if you were even trying to save during in game.

I think pal, you should try to choose between another loader, YSMENU even, and GBAexploader combo to see if it´s a bad GBA dump or a faulty 3 in 1.

If you manage to save and load successfully using the above`s indication then might be a trouble between hardware 3 IN 1 & CycloDS, so.. using another loader`d be wise.

4. dart91
    OP

Newcomer dart91 Member

Pakistan
    Saving's not the issue I think. ExpLoader works fine with the CycloDS, creating SAV files, however Rudolph's 3in1 Tools seems to get stuck at "FAT Initialize". Could this indicate something?

5. Coto

Chile
    Rudolph´s tool is older than GBAexploader so it should be normal not booting on newer 3in1 chipsets.

Maybe that very same problem occurs while you use internal kernel CycloDS when you try to load stuff directly to GBA. Do you want my opinion? Play safe and go for GBAexploader (latest) and try not to mess around too much with CycloDS. Sorry if i can´t aid you that much, since i don´t own a CycloDS but I had several GBA-3in1 issues before.

; )

6. dart91
    OP

Newcomer dart91 Member

Pakistan
    Same issue occurring if I try to load the ROM via ExpLoader (latest)

7. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    FAT Initialize issues are releated to the DLDI. You might have to turn off auto Stealth mode for this to work.

"THE DATA COULD NOT BE WRITTEN" error means your rom is too big.
    "SAVE FILE CORRUPTED" means the auto SRAM patching doesn't work, means you gotta use an external patcher.

As for the being to boot up with a dead battery, you assumed he got around to writing any rom to NOR in the first place.

8. dart91
    OP

Newcomer dart91 Member

Pakistan
    I did in fact. I wrote the ROM for Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (legal) to NOR and tried booting up but encountered the same issue.

9. Coto

Chile
    Yes, FAT errors refer to dldi problems, that´s true.

But, those "THE DATA..." etc were just example words, i don´t own a CycloDS so i´m trying to help using default settings for almost any slot 1 card.

-

dart91, if you burn to NOR a game, then restart DS and just boot up GBA Game directly from main menu (after some minutes while DS it´s turned off) .. still having a black screen and buzz sound?? If that´s the case.. and you´re having some probs even with GBAexploader at writing... rather than battery, you maybe have a defective chip.

My old 3 in 1 had that save issue due to dead battery, however i could run every rom, burn to NOR even play from it, however if i turned off my DS, took out gba flashcart, then reinserted it, then turn on, I ´ve had lost everything in memory, but still booted up gba roms and whatsoever.

A interesting issue.. a dead battery 3 in 1 while accessing GBAexploader will always ask for "the first time you use GBAexploader, press ( A ) to continue".

So possibly, if you don´t have that question everytime you access GBAexploader, but just just 1 time, it MAY NOT be a battery problem, but a faulty chipset.

Any way, try to post issues as much as you can

10. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Are you using 0.58b or the 0.58b0 of gba exploader? 0.58b has a NOR reset bug for the 3in1+.

11. dart91
    OP

Newcomer dart91 Member

Pakistan
    The latest version provided on Filetrip (the one set by default, 0.58b0)

12. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    What is your firmware on the cyclo on again.

13. dart91
    OP

Newcomer dart91 Member

Pakistan
    1.58 , the latest stable firmware

14. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Try the B2 beta or the 1.59 beta. I have the B2 beta running and tested gba exploader 0.58b0, it doesn't give me the fat error. I do remember that it has some issues with some brands of microSD cards if you use windows to reformat that at any given time.

Try also setting your save setting to normal like below:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

15. dart91
    OP

Newcomer dart91 Member

Pakistan
    The ROMs are opening but now I can't seem to be able to continue my games. I've created to SAVs for Megaman Battle Chip Challenge via PSRAM, but the saves are not there (in the game, they are on PSRAM) after I turn off my DS.

I think this may be the issue of the dead battery?

Posts merged

The ROMs are opening but now I can't seem to be able to continue my games. I've created to SAVs for Megaman Battle Chip Challenge via PSRAM, but the saves are not there (in the game, they are on PSRAM) after I turn off my DS.

I think this may be the issue of the dead battery?

16. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Your battery is most like dead ONLY if gba exploader continues to ask you to initialize the 3in1 every time you reboot the DS.

Things to check for gba exploader:
    A. The nds and ini file HAVE TO BE in the root directory.
    B. Make a folder GBA_SAVE and GBA_SIGN in the root directory if you don't already have them. Some flashcarts do not make folders for you.
    C. DO NOT set the attribute of the folders or ini file to hidden. It causes gba exploader to lock up on some flashcarts if you do.

17. dart91
    OP

Newcomer dart91 Member

Pakistan
    I get a "Initialize..." message for a second every time I activate the exploader after turning off and then turning on my ds

Also are you talking about the ExpLoader when you say nds file in the above post? If it goes into the root directory (where SOFTRESET) is stored, then how can I use it?

Never mind, the saves and roms are working properly now! =D

Thanks for the help everyone, especially you how_do_I_that =D