Help with an Asian logogram...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Joey Ravn, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Joey Ravn
    OP

Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Aug 29, 2007
    First of all, I meant no offense by saying "Asian logogram". I can't tell wheter it's Japanese, Chinese, Korean or from any other language that use a "similar" ideograms/graphemes. So please, don't take it as a generalization... I'm not a master on the matter, and that's why I'm asking for help. I know this may sound unnecesary, but I've seen to many fights triggered by terms, I just want to be on the safe side [​IMG]

Well, I'm feeling curious about a certain character a girl in my class has tatooed on the back of her ear (you know, not actually her ear, but the place with bone below it). It's something like this:

[​IMG]

Bare in mind, I sketched that in 5 seconds while no one was watching in class [​IMG] But I think you get the idea... So, that's it. I want to know what that character means, if it does mean anything. I THINK it may be Japanese, because, to my noob eye, they look as they have far less "lines" than both Chinese and Korean characters.

Anyone can give me a tip on this? And yes, before you ask, it's pure linguistic interest. I study English Philology at the university [​IMG]

2. moozxy

moozxy hamboning

Jul 22, 2007
    It's not Korean for sure.
    I think it might be chinese, hold on a second and I'll ask my mum, she can read it.

Edit:
    It's Chinese and it means Friendship.

3. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    Seconds on it not being korean (though dunno much about korean). Could be Japanese (but hey, Kanji is chinese). But I only know about 4 kanji so can't say much about your kanji there [​IMG].

4. moozxy

moozxy hamboning

Jul 22, 2007
  5. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    n1 [​IMG].

6. blueskies

blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2003
    United States
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Could've just asked her. Would have been a nice in.

7. Joey Ravn
    OP

Aug 29, 2007
    Well, yes, of course. But it's more fun this way... and I'm not interested in her, just on her tattoo [​IMG] Maybe in the near future... but right now, all I cared about was her tattoo. Its meaning, to be more precise. You know, it's one of those things that you get on your mind and you can't get over it [​IMG]

So, thanks for the quick and precise answer!

8. arctic_flame

arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

Nov 4, 2006
    England land
    Yeah, it means friendship, and it's pronounced yǒu.

9. Glacius0

Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    He can still ask her, and now he can even prepare the next line to say when she answers. Good chance to impress her! [​IMG]
    Here, I'll help: "Friendship huh? Well then how about you and me getting friendly tonight, baby?" lol

10. Joey Ravn
    OP

Aug 29, 2007
    Yeah... I can imagine how would that go...

Me: So, 'friendship', eh?
    She: Yeah, how did you know.
    Me: Some people at an internet forum told me. I'm not stalking you, you know...
    She: *runs*

INSTANT WIN!! YAY! xD

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice