Hacking Help with an almost unusable Wii, many questions

Bluespheal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a Wii that was working flawlessly a couple of years back, then I got a message saying that some data was corrupt after pressing A on the start screen, I managed to bypass this by entering maintenance mode and playing from there, however, recently I've had an unusual problem, every time I try to access maintenance mode, it lingers on a black screen 90% of the times I try to play, so I thought it was time for me to take a more serious approach rather than just go around the problem. I thought of formatting the system, but I'm afraid that my games will get lost, this wouldn't be a problem if the Wiishop hadn't stopped working, so I'm wondering if hacking my Wii can somehow solve this, would it be posible to make and restore a backup of my games or even "re-download" them somehow?

I've looked trough some topics, but I'm lost on what could be accomplished with hacks, and I'm also lost on where to start.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest using bootmii and backing up your current nand and re-installing an old one if you made a previous backup in the past. It should restore the system to when it was backed up before, (maybe)

Just make sure Priiloader is installed to, or else your screwed if anything goes wrong.

If you have bootmii as boot2 then you have practically no risk of doing this since you can always boot into bootmii, but if you have bootmii as an ios then I would get in touch with someone (other than me.) Becuase restoring the system is dangerous.

Forgot to also mention this but installing a previous nand backup will get rid of your digital wii games. There could be a way to back them up but I have no clue.

Last edited by petethepug,

Bluespheal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
thanks for the response, problem is that I have to yet hack my Wii, and even worse, the system seems to be corrupt badly, I can't even access the settings menu if I were to format it, are there any alternatives or any other instances where something like this has happened?

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the response, problem is that I have to yet hack my Wii, and even worse, the system seems to be corrupt badly, I can't even access the settings menu if I were to format it, are there any alternatives or any other instances where something like this has happened?
If you format the system following these instructions; https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/1613545/how-to-fix-corrupt-wii-sytem-files it should fix the problem. But since you said you can't acsess system settings you may have problems.

What error do you get when trying to acsess the system settings?

Also I haven't seen any recent examples of the system & settings being corrupted yet.

Last edited by petethepug,

Bluespheal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
none at all, it just lingers in a black screen, this same thing happens when I turn on the Wii and enter maintenance mode, although it only happens 90% of the time, the other 10% I can play anything I want except Megaman 10 and Pokemon Ranch, entering the Wii settings as I've mentioned just shows a black screen and I have to shut down the Wii, Data Management kinda works, but after some time (maybe a minute) it just freezes and I have to shut it down.

I've read that semi-bricks are kinda like what I'm experiencing.

Bluespheal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
really? maybe I can save some of my data and format it the, but if I can't access the settings menu, would it be even possible to format my Wii?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, that does sound like a nand going bad, you can use Giantpune NandBinCheck in order to check your nand.

You can also use bootmi to check it, but try to dump you nand, and softmod your wii, to see if that helps.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than saying the obvious at this point, buy a new wii or one in working condition. I don't really know what to say at this point, there might be a Homebrew app you can use to acsess the system settings somehow, but I can't find one.

All you can really do at this point is softmod your wii and look & see if your missing any important IOS's via MMM Multi Mod Manager (The main system files of the Wii.) and make a list of your IOS's via Syscheck HD & use Bootmii to backup your NAND.

If there is something crucial missing in the system files IOS's You could be able to recover it. But other than that I don't think there is a fix unless you can somehow get into the system settings & format your wii.

You can also send the console into Nintendo IF the system is not modded and has never been modded. For a service fee though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a Wii that was working flawlessly a couple of years back, then I got a message saying that some data was corrupt after pressing A on the start screen, I managed to bypass this by entering maintenance mode and playing from there, however, recently I've had an unusual problem, every time I try to access maintenance mode, it lingers on a black screen 90% of the times I try to play, so I thought it was time for me to take a more serious approach rather than just go around the problem. I thought of formatting the system, but I'm afraid that my games will get lost, this wouldn't be a problem if the Wiishop hadn't stopped working, so I'm wondering if hacking my Wii can somehow solve this, would it be posible to make and restore a backup of my games or even "re-download" them somehow?

I've looked trough some topics, but I'm lost on what could be accomplished with hacks, and I'm also lost on where to start.
It might be fixable by installing BootMii and flashing a new NAND generated with ohneschwanzenegger to it. If the NAND chip is going bad, that might not fix it, though it should in theory cause bad blocks to be remapped so they are no longer used, but if there are too many bad blocks, there won't be enough of a reserve to remap all of them.

Make a NAND backup beforehand, you can recover your games from it, and it might be useful for other things, plus it contains the keys you will need for ohneschwanzenegger. And back up all your saves with Save Game Manager GX as well (it has a batch backup function)
If it's just simple corruption then that should fix all the problems. If it's more than that, YMMV.

Just for good measure its a good idea to dump the keys separately with xyzzy as well, it might dump certain keys that Bootmii's NAND backup doesn't.
I believe ohneschwanzenegger supports either a xyzzy key dump or a Bootmii one.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1