Hacking help with a (maybe) bricked wii, black screen on wads, can't load emuNAND...

tglaria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Well I have a Wii which's been stored for quite a while and wanted to start using it again.
I was already softmodded and had usb-loader GX CFG Loader running from a SD card and loading games from an HDD.
I formatted an HDD and put games in it but the drive wasn't detected in the loader.
No biggie, I'll just try a pendrive, same thing.
Ok, I'll just play with some other things while I find myself a new drive, let's start a channel (Yoshi's Story), the game starts but I get a black screen after 5-10 seconds. I tried this several times, but I get the same thing.
Tried running other channels that used to work (Megaman 9, Lost Winds) and nope, can't get them to work, a message appeared: The Wii can't load the game, there was an error, remove the disc, reset the console and RTFM. ...

OK, let's just try with an emulated NAND.
Using ModMii I created a NAND to load the files from an SD card (the emulated NAND would be on the SD, not on the USB drive; used NEEK v96) and used nswitch 2.2 to load this... but I get a black screen with white text stuck in "Loading Bootmii IOS!".

So....
what could this be?
I would like to load an emulated NAND from the SD card if possible so I could install/play with some wii channels, and run a USB loader, but can't and don't know why.

I do have Bootmii as boot2.

Here's my Syschekc output:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.1U (v449)
Priiloader installed
Could not detect the drive date!
Homebrew Channel 1.1.0 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 34915825
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: Chile (20)
Boot2 v2
Found 108 titles.
Found 51 IOS on this console. 3 of them are stubs.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864, Info: rev 4633): No Patches
IOS52 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247[57] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248[56] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 10/03/2016.

Ideas?

Last edited by tglaria,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you running the channels you mention from EmuNAND the whole time?

You didn't mention how your storage drive is formatted.
Did you make sure you're using the right NEEK kernel? It requires a different one depending on whether you have the dumped filesystem on USB or SD.

Freezing at BootMii IOS on nSwitch usually means it can't access the drive it is trying to use (must be MBR/FAT32, first partition and primary) or the NEEK filesystem is in an invalid folder. (neek2o should be in /nands/<some folder name>/)

NEEK/EmuNAND are not the same thing. NEEK is a complete reboot into a virtual environment and EmuNAND is part of the cIOS and runs in normal mode.

tglaria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
[/QUOTE]
Are you running the channels you mention from EmuNAND the whole time?
No, in fact I haven't been able to load the emunand. Using nswitch with the NAND in the SD, the application freezes when the phrase "Loading BootMii IOS!" appears.
I didn't have an USB drive to try yet.
You didn't mention how your storage drive is formatted.
I'm using an SD card formatted in FAT32, windows didn't allow me to slect the cluster size (it's a 256MB card).
It is MBR, single partition and primary.
Did you make sure you're using the right NEEK kernel? It requires a different one depending on whether you have the dumped filesystem on USB or SD.
I'm using SNEEK+DI every single time.
Freezing at BootMii IOS on nSwitch usually means it can't access the drive it is trying to use (must be MBR/FAT32, first partition and primary) or the NEEK filesystem is in an invalid folder. (neek2o should be in /nands/<some folder name>/)
I guess I'll just have to try with a usb pendrive.
I built the nands using ModMii which creates the correct folders.
I'm putting the neek2o in "/nands/pl_us" inside the SD card just as the ModMii application did/told me/built.

NEEK/EmuNAND are not the same thing. NEEK is a complete reboot into a virtual environment and EmuNAND is part of the cIOS and runs in normal mode.
Ok, then I've been trying to use NEEK, not emuNAND.

All these are problems with the NEEK filesystem, right?

Is there any thing that should be fixed in my IOS list?
I'm having problems loading WiiWare games.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try setting USB Loader GX to point to the /nands/pl_us/ folder in Custom Paths>NAND Channel Emulation and then use the option to copy SYSCONF at the bottom of the settings for Features. That will copy your real NAND's configuration file to the NAND filesystem and may get it to boot. It does take a while (possibly 2 minutes or more) for neek2o to start up the first time.

Your SysCheck looks fine, but nothing that affects NEEK would show up on it.

tglaria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Try setting USB Loader GX to point to the /nands/pl_us/ folder in Custom Paths>NAND Channel Emulation and then use the option to copy SYSCONF at the bottom of the settings for Features. That will copy your real NAND's configuration file to the NAND filesystem and may get it to boot. It does take a while (possibly 2 minutes or more) for neek2o to start up the first time.
Sorry, my mistake, I meant to say that I had CFG Loader, don't know why I wrote Loader GX. Anyway, I can load that one.
I'll give it a go.

Your SysCheck looks fine, but nothing that affects NEEK would show up on it.
And anything that looks wrong that might cause my WiiWare channels to not load/load with black screens?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, my mistake, I meant to say that I had CFG Loader, don't know why I wrote Loader GX. Anyway, I can load that one.
I'll give it a go.

And anything that looks wrong that might cause my WiiWare channels to not load/load with black screens?

If they're installed on your real NAND I think you have to patch your system IOSes to restore the Trucha signing bug if they aren't titles you bought on that Wii.

tglaria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If they're installed on your real NAND I think you have to patch your system IOSes to restore the Trucha signing bug if they aren't titles you bought on that Wii.
I "formatted" the NAND creating a new one using Ohneschwanzenegger and restored using BootMii.
Ran the hackmii installer using the bannerbomb exploit and installed HomeBrew Channel.
Then with ModMii I selected to reinstall the System Menu 4.1U, so several IOS were installed/updated with the trucha bug (as you can see in the first post, Syscheck output).
Then reinstalled a couple of WADs, but still I'm getting a black screen and frozen console.

About the Neek2O, nothing new, I made the SD card + USB stick with MomdMii, selecting UNeek+DI, putting all the files in the SD Card and USB FAT32 single partition formatted pendrive. All I'm getting is a frozen screen with the message of "Bootmii IOS!" and blinking blue light in the DVD Drive (I let it run a lot more than 2 minutes).

Soooo,... I've got no idea what to do now.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you launching the titles in question from the SM/real NAND or NEEK?

If you don't have a valid ticket for the title and you're running from real NAND it won't work unless the IOS it runs under is patched to restore the Trucha signing bug.
If you're trying to run it from NEEK then it should always work.

Based on your OP SysCheck you don't have Trucha on the IOSes that games run on so you will either need to patch them to get them to work from the system menu or use EmuNAND or NEEK.

tglaria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you launching the titles in question from the SM/real NAND or NEEK?
From real NAND, I can't get NEEK to load/boot.

If you don't have a valid ticket for the title and you're running from real NAND it won't work unless the IOS it runs under is patched to restore the Trucha signing bug.
If you're trying to run it from NEEK then it should always work.

Based on your OP SysCheck you don't have Trucha on the IOSes that games run on so you will either need to patch them to get them to work from the system menu or use EmuNAND or NEEK.
That would explain it.
Now should I just patch all the IOS my WADs are using or could I change the WADs to laod from another IOS (236 maybe)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans