help with a boot issue

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
my computer got infected with a virus a little while back and i was only able to salvage my windows xp(used to dualboot with vista)
now i couldnt get rid of the virus on vista since it wouldnt boot(it disables task manager and apparently vista wont run without it) so i just formatted the drive that had vista

now at boot it still gives the option of loading vista(but its not there) and i was wondering if i could get rid of that

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Try this
QUOTE said:
After playing around with Vista for a few days, you may want to remove it from your system, and reclaim the hard drive space. Microsoft has made this step very simple as well.

1. Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
 2. Ensure you have the Vista DVD image emulated or in the DVD drive.
 3. Go to “Start” and “Run”. Type in “e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force” (without quotes, and replacing e: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).
 4. Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
 5. Format the partition/drive where you had Vista installed.
 6. Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP drive’s root folder (C:), these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.
 7. Optional: Restart to ensure it still works.
 8. Use your partition software to merge your partitions together.

And now you have returned your computer to its previous state, without Vista and without the new bootloader.
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060622/...l-boot-with-xp/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.