Help, WiiConnect24 Not Working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by jaxxster, Feb 13, 2007.

Feb 13, 2007
  1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    So i recently formatted my wii's system memory and ive set it all up again but when i try to use news or forecast channel it says wiiconnect24 is off but in the wii settings, wiiconnect24 is defiently on. I can post a video if anyone wants.

P.s. I tried taking my wii apart the other day and removed the battery would this cause any issues (the batterys back in the wii now though)

Thanks.

2. HopOnRocks

Newcomer HopOnRocks Advanced Member

Canada
    Are you sure you have your wireless router setup properly?
    Is the Wii connected to it? I heard the best ports to open on a router are either 1, 6 or 11.
    Maybe when you took out your battery you lost your wifi settings as well.

3. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    I can connect to the shop channel and the internet channel but no forecast/news. It says wiicoonect24 is off but its not, funny thing is when it's actually is off it gives me an error message as to where it does not when wiiconect24 is on. Is my wii fked?

4. Strat

Newcomer Strat Member

Australia

Mine does this as well if I turn 'standby' off and leave wiconnect on. Not sure why. I assumed it happened to everyone?

5. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    Standby is on aswell. I dont understand why its being weird. i dont wanna take it back to the shops cos ive got a modchip on the way. Damn wii!

6. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    did you try turning off standby, wiiconnect24 and then reenabling them both again? i had this problem too but that was cause standby wasn't on. Maybe turning them both off and back on will help you.

Another thing sometimes browsing wii news i get teh same error, but i just keep retrying and eventually it works. I'm using a USB Connector and it's pretty tempermental, sometimes the wii will pick it up and othertimes it won't, but once it connects properly it works fine. So if you're usin a connector too just give it a few goes and see if the error goes away.

good luck, you wouldn't wanna take it back cause it might be a while til you get a new one

7. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks, Tried it and still no luck [​IMG] If it isnt working tomorrow i'll just have to cancel my modchip order n wait till i can exchange my wii.

8. jaxxster
    OP

United Kingdom
    Haha, I fixed the problem. I went into the kitchen and one of the microwaves were on (my rooms next to kitchen and my wii is pretty close to the microwave) It wasnt cooking just had the clock on, so i turnt off the microwave, formatted my wii again and now all is working [​IMG]

9. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    ^ that's messed. Explanation? anyone

10. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well, I suppose having a microwave running near to the Wii might have some disruptive effect on the wireless connection - microwave ovens operate at a much higher frequency on the electromagnetic spectrum than wireless networks.

However, an oven is supposed to be shielded so that the waves can't escape, and it simply being 'turned on' shouldn't mean anything.

So I have no idea. Maybe the guy should get his microwave checked out.

11. jespertje

Newcomer jespertje Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I also have this problem, but it aren't microwaves, I think I send it to nintendo

12. dre111nl

Newcomer dre111nl Newbie

Netherlands
    Yes, same overhere. It also took me some time to discover that. But it is strange.... [​IMG]
    And my Wii is brand new, without a mod ..... but not for long any more [​IMG]

13. ih8crouch

Member ih8crouch GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I and a friend of mine have this problem and unless, some1 is constently warmin things up in the microwave im sure its a bummer of a bug...has any one had this problem and had it solved by ninty or found a solution else where...just to go over my problem incase you did not know, i can connect to wii shop, the internet channel and the vote channel but when ever i try the weather or news channel it says my wiiconnect24 is off(it is on)...no combination of off or on with the standby mode or wiiconnect24 will make the news and weather channel work.

help appreciated

cheers

[​IMG] play station poo

14. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    I have the same problem too, is just says that wiiconnect24 is turned off then its on (I'm pretty sure that there werent any microwaves nearby) so i hope nintendo fix this with update or something...
    maybe i'll try to email nintendo about this thing.

15. StoneRoses

Newcomer StoneRoses Member

Thailand
  16. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    That worked with my wii.

17. StoneRoses

Newcomer StoneRoses Member

Thailand
    That's sick.

It's cleary software bug. Nintendo should fix this problem ASAP

18. [Truth]

Member [Truth] GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    i fixed my wii with the method of wiinewz.
    and now the weather and the news channel are working, but only if i turn wiiconnect24 AND "stay connected on standby" ON.
    is this normal, or do the channel normaly work when the standby mode is turned off?

19. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    It's normal that you have to have stand by ON. Or im not sure if its normal but everyone else has it like that.

20. drz

Newcomer drz Member

Australia
    Just for the record, I modded my Wii without turning off WiiConnect24, and had to reset the date and everything after putting it back together. (I had also tested it while still disassembled, with the battery out.) I don't seem to have any problems with Forecast, News, or Everybody Votes.