Hacking [Help Wanted] Try that dangerous downgrade method...

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard rumors of people downgrading by corrupting vs0 (can someone link to the source of the rumors?). Regardless if the original poster is lying or not, there is a possibility that if you corrupt vs0, safe mode would allow you to install any FW version. If that's the case, it means you can downgrade with hardware: connect the nand to your computer, corrupt vs0, and downgrade.

Of course I don't want to test this theory but if anyone wants to risk their vita for science... Use VitaRW and delete ALL of vs0 (do NOT touch os0). Let us know what happens.

Last edited by yifan_lu,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Would it be possible to dump the entire NAND of a Vita by hardware and restore it later on in case something bricks?
Might be asked before but couldn't find it that quickly.

D

Deleted User

So let me get this straight; someone would delete the entire contents of vs0, and then attempt to use a lower-firmware PUP update file afterwards?
You said there was some hardware involved. ("downgrade with hardware"), through corrupting the vs0 partition by connecting the NAND to a PC. That bit I don't quite understand, as I would have already deleted vs0 before-hand using VitaRW, so there is nothing really to corrupt...

If someone could give me a brief explanation about that, that would be really appreciated.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to dump the entire NAND of a Vita by hardware and restore it later on in case something bricks?
Might be asked before but couldn't find it that quickly.
You would have to hardware mod first and dump the nand encrypted. If you dump from software it is decrypted already.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, at least on a PSTV, I can't do it at all. Denies me every step.
The thought may still be valid, as it involved editing XMLs and using a proxy, so we have agents working on that.

Still good to know we can break vs0 without too much harm it seems.
Had to hold power 30 secs to hit safemode, though.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic http://forum.hackinformer.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=783, while mistranslated, the guy affirmed he was able to downgrade his Vita by semi bricking the console and then doing some hex edits and charles, now with this method we can bypass half the instructions, could this work?
No I think they were mistaken. If you brick a vita DURING an update from 3.60 to 3.61 you can install 3.60 again. If you brick it AFTER a successful update then you can only install 3.61. I think the poster only witnessed the former result.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some further testing from @xy2_ revealed that Safe Mode and Recovery Mode are separate, and Safe Mode may be slightly more liberal than Recovery.
The method outlined on HackInformer may be possible, after all?

However, they can't test further, it seems, so that sucks.

sammikins_th3_kitt3n

♾️Neurodivergent🏳️‍⚧️trans🍼crinklefur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
try this

1. download these files
https://mega.nz/#!yQVACArR!2KK4lNrsPO_gnoh1q6EDgFXRDEJru5O6WcCcGvknq1o
2.add the psp2updat.pup from 3.60/full/ to your qcma update folder as well as a web hosting server on your ip
3.edit your psp2-updatelist.xml so it says this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<update_data_list>
<region id="us">
<np level0_system_version="01.600.000" level1_system_version="03.600.000" level2_system_version="03.600.000" map="03.600.000" />
<np_d level0_system_version="01.600.000" level1_system_version="03.600.000" level2_system_version="03.600.000" map="03.600.000" />
<version system_version="04.600.000" label="3.60">
<update_data update_type="full">
<image size="133676544">*your ip server address here*/3.60/full/PSP2UPDAT.PUP</image>
</update_data>
</version>
</region>
</update_data_list>
4.enable flight mode on psvita and select "system update", then select "update by connecting to a pc"
5. it will show the new version screen with "version 3.60" so go through the steps for a normal update
6. the system update will start and then go to an error stating "This system software cannot be used with this system (c1-6562-9)"

if anyone could reproduce this maybe try hex editing the update pup or something. i don't know how hex editing works though.
icon_e_sad.gif
i am sure however if we all band together we can get a working downgrade!
icon_e_smile.gif

simplyphat is my hackinformer account

Reactions: AlexTCGPro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.