[Help Wanted] Gurren Lagann English Patch

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by PhantomGhost, Jul 23, 2019.

1. PhantomGhost
    OP

PhantomGhost Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Hello!

I’m looking for a hacker and translation checker to help with an English translation project of the Gurren Lagann NDS game. (YGRJ)

The game was previously hacked by @Illidanz and an image unpacker was also created by @Noitora but unfortunately, those tools no longer exist. Illidanz did however leave a detailed write-up of the game here!

Thanks to his dump, I’ve currently translated about 90% of the script. The only lines left are from the ‘alternative ending’, which I haven’t got to just yet as it requires another playthrough. (I've been hoping to kill two birds with one stone and playthrough the translation to test it as well as finish the remaining sections.)

I’ve also edited all of the graphics, though I did notice two images that appear to be missing from the dump. There’s also one or two images that could probably do with a touch up if anyone happens to be so graphically-inclined, but here’s a mockup I made!

[​IMG]

Now for what needs doing…

Translation Checking (JPN > ENG)

Clue is in the name here. I’d love to get a second opinion on a few things, nothing too tedious. (At least, I think so!)

Hacking

Whilst the priority would be for text & image inserter/extractors, I did have a few other humble requests to improve the quality of the translation patch.

The first would be increasing the amount of text seen on screen. Here’s an example from Illidanz’s work, including his edited font.

[​IMG]

There’s not a whole lot of room for text here, especially when you consider that the English translation is about 2x as long as the original.

I think that the font could be condensed a little further, which shouldn’t be too hard. Although, I was wondering if it might be possible to actually squish everything down a bit more, and add a third line to the text box. (There are two shapes of screen-width text boxes like this, but the height is similar.)

Without that, the translation will need to undergo a massive overhaul to reduce it’s length, but I’m prepared to do that if this option isn’t technically feasible.

The current script dump seems to be missing the line “叫び続けろ”, a minigame description for a few skills. That’s the only missing string I’m currently aware of, though.The dump does also contain debug text, which I assume is from a debug menu that be worth figuring out how to access?

The other requests are to do with the images. There’s one bugged scene I noticed that could do with fixing, but the rest would be up to your discretion.

Some of the text bubble dialogue images (example pic in my mockup), exist but don’t appear to be used, which might be nice to add back in. The other was that there’s a mix of static and animated character sprites, which looks a bit jarring. If it’s possible to add extra frames, I thought it'd be cool to see if there was a sprite animator interested in expanding those!

And, I think that’s everything for now! Please don’t hesitate to message me about anything.

Thanks for looking! :D

Last edited by PhantomGhost, Aug 25, 2019
    Momo333, Illidanz, RedL and 4 others like this.
  2. PhantomGhost
    OP

PhantomGhost Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I’m delighted to say that the project has made great progress, thanks to Illidanz’s expertise!

Here are some (actual!) screenshots of what’s been achieved;

[​IMG]

There's a little bit more that needs to be finished up and polished, meanwhile we're still looking for a translation checker (JPN > ENG) and a sprite artist!

Translation checking was covered in the above post, so I’ll go into more depth about the sprites!

We’ve determined that it should be possible to add extra frames of animation to the character sprites featured in the game. The reason we’re looking is that whilst some characters have lovely idle animations, others only stand there and blink, and the combined effect can be jarring.

[​IMG]

In other words, this is a ‘just for fun’ hack, and a chance to show off your skills! The characters lacking animations are; Dayakka, Rossiu, Old Coco, The Black Siblings, Viral, Gimmy & Darry pre and post-time skip, so it’d be entirely up to who and how you’d like to breathe some life into these iconic personalities.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Momo333 and Illidanz like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted