Homebrew [Help wanted] collaborate to port EasyRpg Player on PSP

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Some time ago I published a post on the following website:
https://community.easyrpg.org/
to ask if there was a version of EasyRpg Player (a free RPG engine to play old and new custom RPGs created with RPG Maker 2000/2003) for PSP or if they were going to create one anyway. Below is my post and the answer I was given:

Question:
"Hi everyone. I am new here. I registered specifically to ask about the PSP version of EasyRpg player.
Has the project been abandoned permanently? If so, it’s a pity because as of today the PSP is more alive than ever. Just visit the PSP section on GBAtemp to see how many translation projects are active and how much participation there is on a daily basis. And a possible PSP version of EasyRpg would be greatly appreciated by many, including myself.
I, on behalf of many users of that site, hope that someone will take this project to heart and, if the hardware will allows it, finally allow us to play old and new custom RPG games on our little, beloved console.
Excuse my clumsy english and my perhaps impetuous manner: it’s the enthusiasm that drives me so much…hehehe.
Thank you."

Answer:
"Hello. Sorry for not responding. Must have missed this one.
Besides @carstene1ns nobody of us has a PSP or PS Vita to do any testing and afaik c1 is not working on this anymore / has no time.
So is kinda on hiatus until some motivated developer (also from outside of our dev team) finds time to port it to the PSP. If you should know anyone who can help please tell them to contact us."

So, as I've been told, I'm asking if any developer, programmer or anyone with the necessary skills is interested in contacting the staff of that site to work with them to port EasyRpg Player on our beloved console.

Thanks for your attention.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just looking. Am barely able to figure out how to do other things with my PSP. Like recently had put an ISO movie on my mem card and play it. Anyway, was looking in the PSP section and found this. What exactly is the EasyRpg Player?

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What exactly is the EasyRpg Player?
Hi. :)
As I wrote in the opening post, it's a homebrew engine that allows you to play custom RPG games created with RPG maker 2000/2003. It is already available for Windows, Android, 3DS, Switch and what not. Obviously these are simple (old school) role playing games, very appreciated by nostalgic gamers, of the 2D type, popular in the 80/90 for NES or SNES, with top view (e.g. the first titles of Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda etc.)
Obviously they are looking for developers with adequate computer and programming knowledge, to port this engine on PSP.

Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. :)
As I wrote in the opening post, it's a homebrew engine that allows you to play custom RPG games created with RPG maker 2000/2003. It is already available for Windows, Android, 3DS, Switch and what not. Obviously these are simple (old school) role playing games, very appreciated by nostalgic gamers, of the 2D type, popular in the 80/90 for NES or SNES, with top view (e.g. the first titles of Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda etc.)
Obviously they are looking for developers with adequate computer and programming knowledge, to port this engine on PSP.

oowww Dragon Warrior sounds like a neat game to play.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I also recall there being a functional RPG Maker 2000 player for the PSP...
I don't know which one you're referring to, since you haven't posted any links or files, but even I found an old version of an eboot on archive(dot)org by an anonymous japanese author, but more than half of the games I tried didn't work with it. Among them the recent Saint Seiya Densetsu (the one I'm most interested in), a titanic 1.7 GB game that with easyRPG on Android works fine (except for the movies).

Pomegrenade

photon readings negative
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know which one you're referring to, since you haven't posted any links or files, but even I found an old version of an eboot on archive(dot)org by an anonymous japanese author, but more than half of the games I tried didn't work with it. Among them the recent Saint Seiya Densetsu (the one I'm most interested in), a titanic 1.7 GB game that with easyRPG on Android works fine (except for the movies).
Yeah I just checked for it on my PSP, the link is also on archive, this is the one i'm referring to:
https://archive.org/details/rpg-2-kpp-012-b-04.7z

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is exactly what I was talking about....:)
Most of the games I had tried didn't work; it wouldn't load some background images or some bgms, and at some point it would crash.
I think it doesn't support (read) file names containing some special characters (e.g. accented ones) and so it doesn't load them during the game: maybe because the author is japanese and didn't consider them important, Who knows...:unsure:

Pomegrenade

photon readings negative
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Most of the games I had tried didn't work; it wouldn't load some background images or some bgms, and at some point it would crash.
I think it doesn't support (read) file names containing some special characters (e.g. accented ones) and so it doesn't load them during the game: maybe because the author is japanese and didn't consider them important, Who knows...:unsure:
I see, yeah, I used it to run Ib and like u said some of the assets wouldn't load, music was buggy, I couldn't save, and eventually it crashes.
We really do need EasyRPG on the PSP haha. Is there still an old working build we can track down? If not I can do some digging...

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Pomegrenade

photon readings negative
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reactions: Nikokaro

Pomegrenade

photon readings negative
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some time ago I found this, which dates back to 2011, but on my PSP 3004 it only loads the home screen, and then crashes. Maybe you'll have better luck with this...:unsure::
https://archive.org/details/easyrpg-psp-0.2.1-testing.7z
Yep it does the same for me, I can try and track down a working build, but like you said, there is a reason they didn't continue developing it at the time. It seems the project just needs to be revisited, so a stable version can be released.

dahepo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
That app only works with RPG Maker 2000 games. Saint Seya Densetsu was made with RPG Maker 2003, so it cannot work with that interpreter. And as you guessed - it was made with Japanese encoding in mind (shift-JIS iirc) so non-ASCII characters can trip it up.

As for EasyRPG on PSP, there's two builds: a test one by carstene1ns from like 2014 which only ever worked on PPSSPP, and an even older test build that *might* work (if I remember right), but you need to import the RPG Maker RTP and convert all the .xyz assets to PNG. There might be other steps too, those are the ones I remember.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for your input and this accurate information, some of which I had already surmised. I always hope that some developer, better sooner rather than later, will take the project to heart and step up to collaborate to complete it.
...an even older test build that *might* work (if I remember right), but you need to import the RPG Maker RTP and convert all the .xyz assets to PNG...
Couldn't you post the link for this old build with instructions for using it, if you can still find both? :)

dahepo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
The only link was at blog.easyrpg.org/2011/05/may-progress-report/, but it 404'd ages ago. I tried to check if I still had the file on my PSP, but no luck with that either.

• Sad

dahepo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
Some time ago I found this, which dates back to 2011, but on my PSP 3004 it only loads the home screen, and then crashes. Maybe you'll have better luck with this...:unsure::
archive.org/details/easyrpg-psp-0.2.1-testing.7z
This version works by the way, I just tested it. You can only run the smallest games with it though, otherwise the PSP runs out of memory and crashes.

Attachments

• 20220115185707.png
    20220115185707.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220115185746.png
    20220115185746.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 96

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This version works by the way, I just tested it. You can only run the smallest games with it though, otherwise the PSP runs out of memory and crashes.
I know im replying to an old tread but we can try a memory disk to bump it up to 128 mb of ram to let bigger games run on it. if i get the source code to it, (and finish learning some code as well have free time) i can try to add the mem disk and get it working with newer games but i wont promises anything as i am a scatterbrain.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i can try to add the mem disk and get it working with newer games but i wont promises anything as i am a scatterbrain.
Lad, were you able to do what you had in mind? Did you make any progress? Remember that there are many of us here waiting for good news about this: don't disappoint us. 😘
Mmmm........I just noticed that you haven't been around here for a few weeks: well, as soon as you come back you will find this message from me waiting for you. 😉

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lad, were you able to do what you had in mind? Did you make any progress? Remember that there are many of us here waiting for good news about this: don't disappoint us. 😘
Mmmm........I just noticed that you haven't been around here for a few weeks: well, as soon as you come back you will find this message from me waiting for you. 😉
Well im back for now, i havent started but ill try to, Im VERY NEW TO CODING (Still learning C++ and C) "Ive started by fucking with HTML and scratch" So im new to this. But ill try, also after i understand this and get it working, ill update you all. ill try to mess around and see what i can do but due to the hardware i have at hand (Crappy Ailenware with a fucked up 710 as a GPU) ,but hey ill try to do my best.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well im back for now, i havent started but ill try to, Im VERY NEW TO CODING (Still learning C++ and C) "Ive started by fucking with HTML and scratch" So im new to this. But ill try, also after i understand this and get it working, ill update you all. ill try to mess around and see what i can do but due to the hardware i have at hand (Crappy Ailenware with a fucked up 710 as a GPU) ,but hey ill try to do my best.
By a strange coincidence, now that you're saying this, I've recently owned a 3ds and just started using EasyRPG Player there. Anyway this project may be of interest to many other users. This is not to discourage you, but if you don't have any experience with it it will be very difficult for you to succeed in this task. Maybe you could contact the developers of the software on their site and get some suggestions.
Anyway, I wish you good luck in this commendable and valiant initiative of yours. 😉

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: