Hacking Help us R4 team!!!

tropakeroro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
first sorry for my bad english im from spain.

well the Ds-X team its a SHI.... bad team...

we need help of another coders team.. like? R4 or another.

help us. somebody can mail R4 team?

hate2.gif
DS-X
hate2.gif

D

Deleted User

I can't imagine a team selling their own flashcarts improving the DS-X's firmware (if that's what you meant).

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, "let's put time and work into a competing product, with an architecture we didn't design and know nothing about!"

If you're ticked, bug them to open source it. That's the _only_ way you're going to see progress, and Guru sure isn't going to volunteer it out of the kindness of his heart. Lots of angry customers is often the only motivation.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm still wondering why people are calling that a copyright protection.

It's only a protection if it works. Somehow I doubt Nintendo is going to produce a protection on all their games which only foils the DS-X and none others. When every flash cart patched their products to override the so-called 'protection', there shouldn't have been any more games requiring patching. Personally, I doubt they pay that much attention to flash cards and the DS-X in particular. If they did, there would be more direct action mirroring Sony's with their PSP firmware updates or Apple vs. Iphone users.

For example, CD companies don't keep using the same protection on new albums after it's been defeated. Remember the one that could be circumvented by applying a black sharpie to the face of the disc? They didn't keep using that method after realizing that it didn't work.

This suggests to me that it's all coincidence.

XmemphistoX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the DS-X team is utter crap. For so much less you guys could get a product that is so much better. I feel sorry for all the guys who paid an arm and a leg for the 2GB version of it. Heck, I feel sorry for myself for getting the 512 meg version.

Neuromancer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm still wondering why people are calling that a copyright protection.

It's only a protection if it works. Somehow I doubt Nintendo is going to produce a protection on all their games which only foils the DS-X and none others. When every flash cart patched their products to override the so-called 'protection', there shouldn't have been any more games requiring patching. Personally, I doubt they pay that much attention to flash cards and the DS-X in particular. If they did, there would be more direct action mirroring Sony's with their PSP firmware updates or Apple vs. Iphone users.

For example, CD companies don't keep using the same protection on new albums after it's been defeated. Remember the one that could be circumvented by applying a black sharpie to the face of the disc? They didn't keep using that method after realizing that it didn't work.

This suggests to me that it's all coincidence.

Well, what Nintendo has done here is limit flashcart activity in the US. Now, a device that autopatches around any method of copy protection whatsoever is considered an illegal modchip. Therefore, even if every 8 year old out there knows how to crack the ARM7 protection, it still prevents US-based companies from releasing an ARM7 proof cart. Why else would it be so easy to circumvent? You can just take the arm7.bin file from an old game and the protection goes away? It's more of a copy protection joke than a copy protection scheme, I agree, but as a cart blocker it serves its intended purpose.

None of this changes the CHOICES of Team DS-X: They still refuse to fix the "FUTURE PROOF FLASHCART" that we all bought in good faith, and they still just grin and shrug whenever someone mentions their earlier PROMISE that "Updates will continue to be released in order to keeping clean list compatibility as close to 100% as possible". Now, as far as official DS-X history is concerned, the DS-X was never, ever, ever intended to run ROMS at all. The Datel Games N Music simply looks at the header and refuses to run any .nds file with a commercial header. I wonder why a homebrew-only cart like the DS-X has limited homebrew support and no anti pirate measures at all? Hmmm....

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Except that Nintendo has attempted that in the past and _lost_. During the NES era, Tengen produced a series of unlicensed games for the console by circumventing Nintendo's 10NES protection. 10NES utilized both a hardware solution and encryption key, which Tengen willingly duplicated (and through highly questionable means) in order to make their games work on the NES. Nintendo filed lawsuit against Tengen and they couldn't follow through.

So there is a clear precedence for circumventing that sort of protection in order to produce a third party product. Nintendo couldn't do anything to the flash card manufacturers.

Of course, that doesn't stop Nintendo from trying anyway, you can always sue somebody and whether you'll win is a whole other case. But if they were paying such close attention they would know that every one of them have circumvented it, so why haven't lawsuits been filed? R4 would have gotten a C&D months ago.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Except that Nintendo has attempted that in the past and _lost_. During the NES era, Tengen produced a series of unlicensed games for the console by circumventing Nintendo's 10NES protection. 10NES utilized both a hardware solution and encryption key, which Tengen willingly duplicated (and through highly questionable means) in order to make their games work on the NES. Nintendo filed lawsuit against Tengen and they couldn't follow through.

So there is a clear precedence for circumventing that sort of protection in order to produce a third party product. Nintendo couldn't do anything to the flash card manufacturers.

Of course, that doesn't stop Nintendo from trying anyway, you can always sue somebody and whether you'll win is a whole other case. But if they were paying such close attention they would know that every one of them have circumvented it, so why haven't lawsuits been filed? R4 would have gotten a C&D months ago.
Ya, but Atari won the most decisive lawsuite so that's all that matters. The one where even if you own a ROM, backing it up is illegal. It just goes to show you that they,as in the gaming industry, mostly sony, can get serious about stuff.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Roms are irrelevant to the development of the DS-X, unless they're planning to distribute them with New SMB already copied on (come to think of it, mine shipped with a copy of the Franklin game and an mp3, anybody else experience something like this?) We're talking about whether they can circumvent a (purported) copyright protection measure.

It would be more relevant to relate cases like DVD Jon and DeCSS. They attempted to prosecute him for publishing a DVD copy circumvention method, and failed.

Neuromancer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Of course, that doesn't stop Nintendo from trying anyway, you can always sue somebody and whether you'll win is a whole other case.  But if they were paying such close attention they would know that every one of them have circumvented it, so why haven't lawsuits been filed?  R4 would have gotten a C&D months ago.

Interesting, never heard about the Tengen incident before now. I'll have to google that. What I said about Nintendo's motive for the ARM7 protection is just my opinion/guess though. I don't have access to any secret info from Ninty or DS-X. As far as lawsuits go, the law I'm talking about only applies to the US, and the only flashcart manufacturer in the US (that I know of) is DS-X. I've never had an R4, so I don't know much about it, but I thought it was from a Chinese company?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It actually makes for a fascinating read. Tengen couldn't abide by Nintendo's draconian licensing terms so they essentially stole the information necessary to develop the workaround for NES10, etc. Read more on something like 1up, overview of Nintendo lawsuits through time, Wikipedia profile for Tengen, and plenty of other sources.

But that's pretty much what I meant, so far I haven't seen anything that actually _tells me_ arm7 is involved in any sort of copyright protection scheme, and from my general reasoning I suspect it's mere coincidence. The fact that arm7 has become synonymous with copyright protection appears to be rampant speculation.

R4's geographic location could be relevant, I've seen countless stories about commercial and political attempts to fight piracy over there. All the actual efforts I've ever seen though are aimed at bootleggers. Some guy selling bootlegs of Final Fantasy games or The Little Mermaid on DVD isn't the same thing as developing a third party backup/homebrew device, and all the actions from companies like Nintendo seem to suggest they don't perceive them as the same.

Again, I think it comes down to convenient excuses. We see a lot of those around here. And like you said, none of it changes the fact that we still had Guru running around telling people a much different story when DS-X went on market.

reveng

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It actually makes for a fascinating read.  Tengen couldn't abide by Nintendo's draconian licensing terms so they essentially stole the information necessary to develop the workaround for NES10, etc.  Read more on something like 1up, overview of Nintendo lawsuits through time, Wikipedia profile for Tengen, and plenty of other sources.

But that's pretty much what I meant, so far I haven't seen anything that actually _tells me_ arm7 is involved in any sort of copyright protection scheme, and from my general reasoning I suspect it's mere coincidence.  The fact that arm7 has become synonymous with copyright protection appears to be rampant speculation.

R4's geographic location could be relevant, I've seen countless stories about commercial and political attempts to fight piracy over there.  All the actual efforts I've ever seen though are aimed at bootleggers.  Some guy selling bootlegs of Final Fantasy games or The Little Mermaid on DVD isn't the same thing as developing a third party backup/homebrew device, and all the actions from companies like Nintendo seem to suggest they don't perceive them as the same.

Again, I think it comes down to convenient excuses.  We see a lot of those around here.  And like you said, none of it changes the fact that we still had Guru running around telling people a much different story when DS-X went on market.

This ones also a good read Accolade Vs Sega

http://digital-law-online.info/cases/24PQ2D1561.htm

R....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it