ROM Hack [HELP] Updating to Luma 9.1 on a 2DS with out-of-date system version

Flubman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a hacked 2DS over a year ago, played around with it a bit, and didn't touch it for about a year. During that time, Nintendo released a new update, and now I can't update the game I just got. I heard that 9.1 Luma is compatible with the latest 2DS/3DS update, but I still have Luma 9.0, and the system won't allow me to do anything that requires an Internet connection. How do I update Luma without getting banned/bricking my 2DS?

EDIT: According to the settings screen, my 2DS is on version 11.6.0-39U.

Last edited by Flubman,

Darukeru

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
1.- Install LumaUpdater on your 3ds.
2.- Update luma to 9.1 using LumaUpdater.
3.- Update the 3ds to the latest firmware.
4.- ????
5.- Done!

Flubman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.- Install LumaUpdater on your 3ds.
2.- Update luma to 9.1 using LumaUpdater.
3.- Update the 3ds to the latest firmware.
4.- ????
5.- Done!
I think I already have LumaUpdater. The problem is that my 2DS won't let me do anything that requires an Internet connection. This includes updating Luma.

Darukeru

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's compatible, I've the latest Luma versión (9.1) and the latest firmware version (11.9) installed, don't worry. If you're a freeshop user just don't use it anymore (I don't know if it still "works" in the first place).
Thanks.

Okay, I did what you said. But should I update my 2DS to 11.9? I know 9.1 is compatible with 11.8. But what about 11.9?

Reactions: Flubman

Flubman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's compatible, I've the latest Luma versión (9.1) and the latest firmware version (11.9) installed, don't worry. If you're a freeshop user just don't use it anymore (I don't know if it still "works" in the first place).
Thanks, but I would like a second opinion. Can someone else verify this?

Also, is there anything else I need to update like FBI or anything?

Last edited by Flubman,

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks, but I would like a second opinion. Can someone else verify this?

Also, is there anything else I need to update like FBI or anything?

I can also confirm that I have latest Luma (9.1) on latest firmware (11.9) and everything works.

FBI update is recommended, but not necessary.

Flubman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can also confirm that I have latest Luma (9.1) on latest firmware (11.9) and everything works.

FBI update is recommended, but not necessary.
Thanks.

Why is an FBI update recommended? I tried to update it using my computer, but apparently, that didn't work.

EDIT: I should probably mention that the copy of the game I got is the UK version, and my 2DS is American.

Last edited by Flubman,

hiroakihsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why is an FBI update recommended? I tried to update it using my computer, but apparently, that didn't work.

Recommended because of possible bug fixes/new features in the latest version.
What do you mean it didn't work? What exactly did you do?

EDIT: I should probably mention that the copy of the game I got is the UK version, and my 2DS is American.

I believe you would need to find the CIA file of the update for the region of the game (UK) and install that.
Also, just out of curiosity...Why is it that your system won't allow you to do anything that requires an Internet connection? Is the wifi broken on your 2ds?

Last edited by hiroakihsu,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Freeshop won't work on any system version

Reactions: Lacius

Flubman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recommended because of possible bug fixes/new features in the latest version.
What do you mean it didn't work? What exactly did you do?

I believe you would need to find the CIA file of the update for the region of the game (UK) and install that.
Also, just out of curiosity...Why is it that your system won't allow you to do anything that requires an Internet connection? Is the wifi broken on your 2ds?
I copied and pasted the 2.6.0 files directly onto the SD card.

I don't think it's broken. It played MHXX multiplayer just fine. I think it's because the 2DS isn't updated.

EDIT: Okay, so I updated my 2DS, but FBI still won't update.

That's a problem, but more importantly, how do I install the CIA update file?

Last edited by Flubman,

hiroakihsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I copied and pasted the 2.6.0 files directly onto the SD card.

That's a problem, but more importantly, how do I install the CIA update file?

Copy FBI.3dsx into the "3ds" folder on the root of your sd card (Replace over old file if needed).
Copy FBI.cia to the root of your sd card.
Do you have homebrew launcher installed on your 2ds? If you do, launch that, and then launch FBI, and install FBI.cia
In the unlikely case you don't have homebrew launcher installed, follow instructions on https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup to install that.

Flubman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copy FBI.3dsx into the "3ds" folder on the root of your sd card (Replace over old file if needed).
Copy FBI.cia to the root of your sd card.
Do you have homebrew launcher installed on your 2ds? If you do, launch that, and then launch FBI, and install FBI.cia
In the unlikely case you don't have homebrew launcher installed, follow instructions on https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup to install that.
I tried that, but it didn't work.

Honestly, I don't care about FBI so much as I care about updating my game. I got the CIA file for the update. How do I install it?

EDIT: Okay, I got FBI to work, but I still need help with updating the game.

Last edited by Flubman,

Flubman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need FBI to install it.

How does it 'not work'? You'll need to give us more info if you want assistance.

How do I install the game update with FBI? The method I used to update MHXX relied on that QR code site that got taken down.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I install the game update with FBI? The method I used to update MHXX relied on that QR code site that got taken down.
You can use the eShop to install game updates. Alternatively, you can download the CIA file for the update you want and install it with FBI.

Edit: Ignore my first part. I forgot about the internet disconnectivity problem.

Flubman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the eShop to install game updates. Alternatively, you can download the CIA file for the update you want and install it with FBI.

Edit: Ignore my first part. I forgot about the internet disconnectivity problem.
I solved the Internet connectivity issue.

I don't think that the eShop will work because I'm in a region that's different from the region of the game.

Also, I understand that I use FBI to update the game, but I don't understand how.

Last edited by Flubman,

hiroakihsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Copy the game update cia file to the root of your sd card.
Launch FBI, go into your sd card directory, then select the game update cia file to install it.

Have you tried it?

I don't think it would work, since eshop will only have the US updates (since his/her 2ds is US region).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?