Hacking Help- updating to boot9strap from A9LH on older CFW and more

astrogrrl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

I am thinking I need to upgrade to boot9strap but my old 3dsXL with CFW is in a bit of a mess. I had everything working great but then accidentally formatted the SD card by mistake and had to go back to a basic setup which I never got round to fixing up. I do not have any CIA installed and now the method I used to use to get homebrew - freaky forms deluxe will no longer work. So I am a bit stuck as to where to start.

My 3ds is at Sys 11.0.0-33E and does not have a NNID from what I can see. Also in some weird foresight I purchased the game legend of Exidia on this console and was hoping I might be able to use it to put custom Firmware on other Higher firmware 3DS - However I was confused as to how the system transfer works without a NNID and if that would still work - Do you just restore the source system after the transfer to be able to use it again?

I also have a 2nd 3ds XL that I put CFW on quite awhile ago but never got round to doing anything with - just the basic guide that is on Sys 11.3.0-36E

So do I need to somehow update these first o then switch to boot9strap?

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The old system needs the NNID, the new one can't have one since it gets transferred.
If you want to wipe and factory reset the old system you can continue to use it.
In order to do a system transfer both systems need to be on the latest firmware and connected to the internet so it can contact Nin and transfer the licenses.

I suggest you mod the systems/upgrade the systems to b9s 1.2 before you update to 11.6 as 11.4> will need a hard mod or a DS flash card for NRTBootHax.
3ds.guide if your friend.

If you need a helping hand during this process feel free to ask.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install b9s on both, then upgrade both fully. Then you are free to system transfer, ctr transfer, or whatever it is you want to do. If you had an NNID before but did a system format while online, all you need to do is register your NNID on the new console. a system transfer (ctr transfer) is only useful if you have a backup of your SD card from before the format, and you want to use that backup on the new console. If you lost everything and need to download it all again, there is no point in the system transfer. All tickets purchased with the NNID will be available in the eshop for you anyway. Unless you had pre-bundled software... then you might want to system transfer. Although... there are certain places to download any and all pre-bundled versions of software anyway...

either way, make nand backups once you have b9s installed. Then you can't go wrong.

Hope that wasn't confusing...

Last edited by urherenow,

astrogrrl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Install b9s on both, then upgrade both fully. Then you are free to system transfer, ctr transfer, or whatever it is you want to do. If you had an NNID before but did a system format while online, all you need to do is register your NNID on the new console. a system transfer (ctr transfer) is only useful if you have a backup of your SD card from before the format, and you want to use that backup on the new console. If you lost everything and need to download it all again, there is no point in the system transfer. All tickets purchased with the NNID will be available in the eshop for you anyway. Unless you had pre-bundled software... then you might want to system transfer. Although... there are certain places to download any and all pre-bundled versions of software anyway...

either way, make nand backups once you have b9s installed. Then you can't go wrong.

Hope that wasn't confusing...

I am pretty sure that 3ds (the one with "legend of Exidia" never had a NNID and that the game was bought just before you needed one, there is also still $8 credit on it). Could it still be used for the system transfer to Hack a 3ds on 11.6?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty sure that 3ds (the one with "legend of Exidia" never had a NNID and that the game was bought just before you needed one, there is also still $8 credit on it). Could it still be used for the system transfer to Hack a 3ds on 11.6?
If you can do the DSi inject thing, then yes. Do the inject before updating and performing the system transfer.

https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware)

astrogrrl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also if you
If you can do the DSi inject thing, then yes. Do the inject before updating and performing the system transfer.

https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware)

I am still not sure how it will go because I do not actually have a NNID on the console - will it still transfer over the legend of Exidia game needed to perform the hacking? Also what does it then mean for the source 3ds - Can that somehow be restored to be the same as it was before the transfer or does it then need to be reset. I know you can transfer back - but that will not work for me as the system I would transfer to is a new model. I am not sure how it would work doing the option of calling nintendo since there was no NNID to restore. Basically I want to know if both system can then have the legend of Exidia on them and technically be the same console or once I transfer it does the source need to be started as a fresh unit?

astrogrrl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You never need an NNID to buy games -only to download free demos and use Pokémon bank etc. You don't need an NNID to transfer either. If the target has one it has to be signed out before the transfer.

Ah, ok thanks, that will be why it never had one. So this console would be fine to use for DSi ware exploit using Legend of Exidia once I upgrade it to boot9strap without any issues? I am so torn with what to do with my consoles, I have a few that I have left on lower Firmware (between 11.2/11.3 and even one on 9.4) since I was not sure if I would want to hack them, but it has been hard as it has meant since then I have not been able to do certain things on them like Pokebank Etc.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Ah, ok thanks, that will be why it never had one. So this console would be fine to use for DSi ware exploit using Legend of Exidia once I upgrade it to boot9strap without any issues? I am so torn with what to do with my consoles, I have a few that I have left on lower Firmware (between 11.2/11.3 and even one on 9.4) since I was not sure if I would want to hack them, but it has been hard as it has meant since then I have not been able to do certain things on them like Pokebank Etc.
Yes everything should work.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you make a nand backup of the source before the transfer, you can restore that backup again after the transfer and then both will have that game, yes. You will probably lose any game you already have on the target system though, if any (can't remember and it's 2am. Need sleep...).

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you make a nand backup of the source before the transfer, you can restore that backup again after the transfer and then both will have that game, yes. You will probably lose any game you already have on the target system though, if any (can't remember and it's 2am. Need sleep...).
If you also make a backup of the SD card before the transfer you can copy the saves back. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte