Hacking [HELP] Update an EUR Retail card on a US 2DS with GW

nhamquamay123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I posted this question on the noob thread but have received no proper answer, so here it is.
I have a US 2DS with sysnand 6.0/emunand 9.9, an EUR retail card (Pokemon AS to be precise) and Gateway red card. My idea is to play the retail card in GW Classic Mode; however it seems to be impossible to update an EUR card through an US system. The update notice still pops up even though I have already installed the EUR update cia. I can't play online without it being updated.
Someone suggested unlinking the nands. It just doesn't work.
They say GW Classic Mode can't boot any illegal .cia files (including update cias). So does my update cia.
Is there any way to update my game? Thanks in advance.

RainThunder

Trophies
XP
Country
I posted this question on the noob thread but have received no proper answer, so here it is.
I have a US 2DS with sysnand 6.0/emunand 9.9, an EUR retail card (Pokemon AS to be precise) and Gateway red card. My idea is to play the retail card in GW Classic Mode; however it seems to be impossible to update an EUR card through an US system. The update notice still pops up even though I have already installed the EUR update cia. I can't play online without it being updated.
Someone suggested unlinking the nands. It just doesn't work.
They say GW Classic Mode can't boot any illegal .cia files (including update cias). So does my update cia.
Is there any way to update my game? Thanks in advance.
Try downloading the update from eShop, because Pokemon updates are region free. If it doesn't work, you can use rxTools + SaveDataFiler to backup your save files, then use that save on a ROM.

nhamquamay123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Try downloading the update from eShop, because Pokemon updates are region free. If it doesn't work, you can use rxTools + SaveDataFiler to backup your save files, then use that save on a ROM.
That doesn't seem to work. It keeps giving me error code 007-6106 if I download the update from eShop, or 009-6106 if I update the game directly without entering eShop. It might be internet problem, but I have my system right next to the wifi router so that seems to be false.
About the rxTools thingy, you meant that I can play the game through a ROM, then when the problem is solved, I can inject the save back to the card?

RainThunder

Trophies
XP
Country
That doesn't seem to work. It keeps giving me error code 007-6106 if I download the update from eShop, or 009-6106 if I update the game directly without entering eShop. It might be internet problem, but I have my system right next to the wifi router so that seems to be false.
About the rxTools thingy, you meant that I can play the game through a ROM, then when the problem is solved, I can inject the save back to the card?
I think the error occured because you installed an .cia update that is not from your eShop account. Try formatting your emuNAND using Gateway launcher, then download the update again.
And the answer for the later question is yes, you can import and export save file between ROMs and retail carts. However, if updating via eShop doesn't work, then you have to stick with ROMs until rxTools (or any CFW) support region free for retail carts.

Last edited by RainThunder,

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've had the exact same problem and I got really pissed off because one of gateway's advertised features is region free, but as it turns out you can't experience the full game since you can't get updates

ROMs are the only way to go. I moved my pokemon alpha sapphire save from my retail cart to a dumped ROM then installed the updates via CIA and used gateway mode to play

nhamquamay123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess I'm gonna use the ROM solution and wait. Hope that they'll fix this stuff in future releases.
Again, thanks for helping me out. :)

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can download the Eur update via eshop using a different region console.

Have you considered backing up your save file (I assume Gateway menu -> Patched Sysnand -> Savedatafiler would work for backing up a retail cart) then just playing your game through .3ds or .cia?

nhamquamay123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think you can download the Eur update via eshop using a different region console.

Have you considered backing up your save file (I assume Gateway menu -> Patched Sysnand -> Savedatafiler would work for backing up a retail cart) then just playing your game through .3ds or .cia?
Well, I guess that's the only solution now.
Another question, it is possible to transfer save between different region games, or they have to be in the same region? I already have the rom but it is US, not EUR (I've saved it in my computer just in case).

RainThunder

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I guess that's the only solution now.
Another question, it is possible to transfer save between different region games, or they have to be in the same region? I already have the rom but it is US, not EUR (I've saved it in my computer just in case).
It's possible. You have to play your US ROMs until you can save the game, export the save data using SaveDataFiler, then replace exported save's files with other region's files (in Pokemon, it's a file named "main").

Why don't you dump your EUR carts and use it on Gateway?

nhamquamay123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's possible. You have to play your US ROMs until you can save the game, export the save data using SaveDataFiler, then replace exported save's files with other region's files (in Pokemon, it's a file named "main").

Why don't you dump your EUR carts and use it on Gateway?
Because I already have a US cia rom in the other SD card (I have 2 sd cards). Besides, dumping carts seem to be too complex for me, and if you say so, then I have no reason to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free