NULL

[Help] Translation F-Zero Climax

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by Feroz El Mejor, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Ferryk

Ferryk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2019
    France
    Hello everybody !

Quick question regarding the translation, I've been fiddling with the Normmat repo (can't post links yet), mainly to be able to generate the translated rom on linux.
    Given that the last update is a month old, I assume that it is the correct repo, right ?

2. Ferryk

Ferryk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2019
    France
    Hello everybody !

Quick question regarding the translation, I've been fiddling with the Normmat repo (can't post links yet), mainly to be able to generate the translated rom on linux.
    Given that the last update is a month old, I assume that it is the correct repo, right ?

3. killvan

killvan Newbie

Newcomer
    May 16, 2019
    France
    Hello, I'm interested to translate the game in french, that's why I'm coming in this forum. Did you finished the english translation ? Is it possible to collaborate to offer this wonderful game to the French public ? Thank you for your reply, I hope I can play it someday in English already...

4. Ferryk

Ferryk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2019
    France
    AFAIK, the story bits seems to be done. I don't know how accent support will work if we want to support french, I'll look into it and I'll keep you informed.

5. Ferryk

Ferryk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2019
    France
    So, I looked more into it and it should be doable, but it will require some plumbing. At the moment the translated text is directly into the assembly files, it would be nice to separate the assembly from the actual translation to be able to generate translated ROMs into multiple languages.

6. killvan

killvan Newbie

Newcomer
    May 16, 2019
    France
    Salut ! Apparemment tu es français, comme moi, donc je me permets de te répondre en français : serais-tu intéressé par le projet de traduire F Zero Climax ? Personnellement je n'ai aucune compétence en hack, uniquement en traduction (US -> FR ) donc si de ton côté tu sais bidouiller un peu les roms, je serai ravi de m'occuper de traduire tout ce qu'il y a à traduire dans ce jeu ^^

TheMrIron2 likes this.
  7. Ferryk

Ferryk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2019
    France
    Hello again ! Here the current state of the english translation:
    - Pilotes/vehicle profies have been decoded and are ready to be translated.
    - Controls are translated.
    - The story episode are done 22 out of 51.
    Regarding the french translation, it will be a bit technically challenging, the game uses an encoding called SJIS (for Shift JIS) that is used to write japanese and english.
    In that case, we don't have access to the french characters that we would like to have access to like the accents and the c cedille. It could be a good first draft to omit those
    and to write the translation in pure ascii only. Adding to that hurdle, the current transation is directly into assembly files that are compiled and that replace part of the rom,
    with a system like that it will be a big hurdle to port the translation to multiple language and I'm convinced there is a better way to do it.

So here is what I think on how we should proced, I think I can work on getting what needs to be decoded, if you want to help with the translation,
    I think it would be best if we do that via github with a formalism like a ".txt" file per story episode. So, what do you think ?

PS: Je ne te reponds pas en francais car je pense que c'est plus utile pour tout le monde si les discussions publiques se font en anglais, notamment car lorsque tu cherches 'f-zero climax translation' sur google tu tombes rapidement sur ce forum.
    Merci beaucoup de vouloir aider ! :) Il y a beaucoup de trucs a faire et c'est cool de voir que ce jeu est presque pas encore tout a fait oublie ! ^^
    PSS: Du coup pour contribuer, regarde mon fork sur github (ca devrait etre le seul) et creer une issue a partir de la et on devrait pouvoir communiquer la bas.
    Je crois que nous ne pouvons ni l'un ni l'autre envoyer de message prive sur ce forum, si tu a d'autres methodes de communication je suis preneur.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

PSSS: Il y a 3 forks, le mien est celui avec un 'c' en premier dans le nom :)

8. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    "The story episode are done 22 out of 51."

@Ferryk So, are you saying this game has never been fully English translated by anyone yet?

9. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    No finished patches.

10. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    So the one on that Romhacking site only goes up to chapter 47?

11. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    According to the readme. The menus still have minor bits and pieces in Japanese.

12. Ferryk

Ferryk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2019
    France
    I don't know which site you are referring to, but the copy that I have goes only goes up to 22 and frankly it's not the best translation around, IE the wording could use some work.

Yes the menus still have to be translated. The pilote profiles are also not translated at all, however the technical work has been done on that front, all that is lacking is the actual translation.