ROM Hack Help! Translating Rockman EXE OSS (Operate Shooting Star)

MegaStarforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello to all users. Sorry for my bad english because english isn't our native language.

Well, I am trying to translate a game titled "Rockman EXe Operate Shooting Star" (Jap. Game) using Crystaltile2

The game is identical to Megaman Battle network (The conversations, story, chips, characters, Alll in all. Except the part where the Second megaman appeared) which is already localized so the hard part to translate is the scene where the second megaman appeared, and the prologue.

The game is a crossover of 2 different rockmans. I'm a beginner in this field (of translating) but I find it nice to do. ( maybe i can help other people)

When Click the NDS File System, all i can see is files that have a file extension of .bin (Almost of them)

I don't know what file extension does the text of the game have. I tried to split all the file systems to check whether one of those files have the text. But I can't find any even a single word that can be read.

Is there any solution about this?

Kuroko Shirai

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Eh? While English is not our native language, majority of the stuff in this country is flooded with English (unless you live in the province :P) and it's still considered as one of our "official" languages.

You might want to have an hex editor that supports Japanese text (provided that your computer already supports Japanese text). You can try MadEdit for this one. Then, you can start searching to where the text files are. (also, don't forget to set the encoding via View -> "Current Encoding name" -> All Encodings -> Windows Japanese or Unicode UTF-8

MegaStarforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well thank you for replying kuroko shirai. BTW I am using Crystaltile2, would that application be the solution to my problem? I hope so. Im not used in using hex editing applications so, just asking.

Kuroko Shirai

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Well thank you for replying kuroko shirai. BTW I am using Crystaltile2, would that application be the solution to my problem? I hope so. Im not used in using hex editing applications so, just asking.

Depends on how you use it. I'm sorry, but I cannot offer any advice about CrystalTile2 as I never got along with said program (I don't even know how it works XD). I've been too dependent with Tinke and well, I'm messing with another game, so the file structures for Rockman EXE OSS might be different from what I've encountered with the game I'm working on.

However, I think you can extract those from using CrystalTile2 and then using a hex editor to view the text files... *shrugs*

MegaStarforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I looked at the file structures of Rockman EXE OSS, well as far as i've known a specific (i guess) file must be exported from the rom to the computer to be decompress to locate the text so that you can edit it. The problem is I don't know what file is it and almost all files have .bin extension, which I know it cannot be decompress.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I looked at it... that has to be the largest amount of overlays I have seen in a DS game (1114.... the average is about 6 and the high end rarely touches 150) and most of them were compressed (which means the DS binary specific LZ although http://gbatemp.net/t...ba-compressors/ should handle it and crystaltile2 seems to manage decompression at least) and aimed at different memory locations.

The main problem with overlays though is that it they are loaded into the memory which means you have to handle the memory locations (which again vary a bit between them all) which involves actual memory management as opposed to simple file level stuff. Also I decompressed a bunch of files and you have loads of text as graphics in both 4bpp and 8bpp with what looks like a fair bit of layout as well as at least 5 fonts I saw.

To this end I can not say I would suggest it as a hack to learn with. By all means find a game to hack and we will help you as best we can (not sure how many people we have around here that speak Filipino or Tagalog but the hacking side is doable).

Reactions: 1 person

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh? While English is not our native language, majority of the stuff in this country is flooded with English (unless you live in the province :P) and it's still considered as one of our "official" languages.

You might want to have an hex editor that supports Japanese text (provided that your computer already supports Japanese text). You can try MadEdit for this one. Then, you can start searching to where the text files are. (also, don't forget to set the encoding via View -> "Current Encoding name" -> All Encodings -> Windows Japanese or Unicode UTF-8

Crystaltile 2 does support Japanese encoding. You can use it for translating, too.

For the OP, if you don't know what a .bin file is, I suggest learning some romhacking before taking on the task of "translating" a game. Almost every single DS game has .bin files, so it's awfully common.

FAST is right. I suggest choosing an easier game to practice on, maybe even one already in English.

Good luck :)

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The main problem with overlays though is that it they are loaded into the memory which means you have to handle the memory locations (which again vary a bit between them all) which involves actual memory management as opposed to simple file level stuff.
Not really, he just have to take care of not making it bigger for overlapping purpose. That's the only trick here ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: BORN 2 GAME FORCED 2 PAY