ROM Hack Help translating Otometeki Koi Kakumei Love Revo

jueru2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I'm hoping to translate the text for Otometeki Koi Kakumei Love Revo, but I can't figure out how to get the text off the rom. I've been fiddling with CrystalTile2 but I just can't seem to figure it out, and I haven't had any luck finding a guide I could understand.

As you can probably tell I have no idea about hacking roms or really any kind of programming.

So if someone could please get me the text off this game or tell me how to use a program to do it, that would be wonderful.

If I manage to translate most of the text decently, then I'll probably start looking for a programmer.

Since I only know a little bit of Japanese, I'm planning on using several different online translators to do the actual translating, I'll then either pick the best translation or use them to write a better one. I'm actually starting to learn Japanese again, so with any luck this will help with that.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
play the game with a emulator that can either save screenshots or avi use the screenshots, avi to type text to search for
in CT2 open the rom go to tbl code page and go through the code pages one by one using the search - find function ... changing the code page with every lack of success

next thing this game has alot of compression. so try decompressing it with some form of tool (yeah CT2 has decompression stuff but try other tools first my experience with CT2 is that it has undesirable results)

you mught want to leave this game as an open translation and work yours with the korean version of this game
I'm trying to download the other version now... just to see how they compare

which is pretty much identical file system wise...
so if I were you I would do a file compare and look at the differences between the korean veersion and the japanese one
As those differences are where you will likely need to work
Yeah for sure - decompress and use Emeditor to tell you the code page

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rastsan said:
next thing this game has alot of compression. so try decompressing it with some form of tool (yeah CT2 has decompression stuff but try other tools first my experience with CT2 is that it has undesirable results)

As far as I tried, I didn't detect compression in this game. It just doesn't use Shift-Jis table so you won't be able to simply read text from Hex Editor program.

Anyway, if anyone wants to try, the file in script/main4.bin is the dialogs when the game starts. (When the heroine starts to talk about her past.) You can use this table to read partial text.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mhd2otgtjmj/...oveRevo.tbl.txt

To use the table on CrystalTile2:
1. Click 'TBL' menu (The 4th menu from the left.) and then 'Select TBL' (the topmost one.) Then browse to 2031LoveRevo.tbl.txt file you just downloaded and click Open.
2. Ctrl+T to change to user defined table. You should see some Japanese text.

(You can only read some parts of the sentences. I think the game used a more complicated table file which I couldn't figure out yet. Hopefully someone will be able to work on the table thing and help you hack the game. I'd love to play this game in English too.
biggrin.gif
)

A picture showed the real text and the text I got using the above table file. (I think my table doesn't correctly map the Kanji's but I really couldn't figure out how.)

loverevo.png

jueru2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks sedicius.

I'm sorry rastsan, I didn't really understand what you are saying, I honestly have no idea how to use CT2 or even what other programs are available. The only reason I have CT2 is that it was the only one I could find. I did use an emulator to record an avi, but I couldn't figure out what you said to do next. Can you recommend an easier to use program to get the text?

Jjjewel thanks for your help, I agree, I think the game did use a more complicated table file as when i do that all I see is a lot of jots and generally one Japanese symbol per line, often repeated for several lines.

Thanks for your help rastan, jjjewel.

HernanZh

Trophies
Website
www.heigames.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
jjjewel said:
A picture showed the real text and the text I got using the above table file. (I think my table doesn't correctly map the Kanji's but I really couldn't figure out how.)
You should take a look at the font and compare it to your table. You should be able to tell where your table doesn't match the characters.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
What I meant for you to do next was to use the avi to watch for characters(japanese characters) that you either type down or slowly search for and find in a table file and then use that relative search for in crystaltile2's hex mode

there is compression run a search a lot more than I would have thought too...
code pages - english uses 1251
japanese (mostly 932)
and so on - code pages are what computers use to translate one language to another (like table files)
one language has its own unique set of symbols another language has it own code pages (like table files), list those symbols in a way that can be easily recognized by computers one code paqe for hebrew another for vietnamese another for korean another for thai, and so on change the code page to see the file in a different language (or at least see the file in that languages symbols) sorta like using a bunch of different tables just inbuilt into crystaltile2

okay Emeditor (A multilanguage support word/programmers notepad) is telling me that script/main4.bin is utf 16Le encoded and after trying a relative search I could only find partial text
so find the UTF 16LE table file and that will clear up your troubles mostly - yikes

what I meant in my earlier post was to to go to the same tab you would enter your table but goto code page then select a code page use the search tab and then the find function and see if you can find the text - and when you don't (or do stop) - try the next code page and so on I haven't tried this yet as I expected you to crack this yourself

That table might just be a little off jjjewel did you make the table or download it
as where you downloaded it should have the another table that could work here

It might just be the UTF16 BE file instead... anyways EMeditor can read the text just fine
the problem with emeditor is that you can only use it to dump the text
you still need to make the table file to reinsert the translated text

hmm - but then you might get lucky and just do the strictly reinsert by offset method and forget the table file for reinserting and keep your translation byte for byte (letter for letter)

if you are new to this read the documentation on how to through romhacking.net or here on gbatemp they are both good enough to get you started

If you are still confused post again

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^
^
Cool! I tried Unicode encoding in CrystalTile2 and could read all the text.

Anyway, jueru2003, the Japanese Rom doesn't have the slim (half-width) English font. So you will have to deal with the font too sooner or later. (Don't worry if you don't know what I'm talking about now. You'll soon learn when you get to it.
happy.gif
) Good luck.

rastsan said:
That table might just be a little off jjjewel did you make the table or download it
as where you downloaded it should have the another table that could work here
I got that table from the game's NFTR font data. (You can use CrystalTile2's NFTR Editor or maybe Darthnemesis's NFTRedit to make the table from NFTR file.) Anyway, seems like we don't need special table for this.
smile.gif
(I think I'm too obsessed with Shift-Jis. Any Japanese games that don't use Shift-Jis will scare me and I would assume that they used a very complicated encoding or encryption. Hahaha.)

jueru2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I've tried using unicode in crystaltile2 and have found the text.

I'll figure out what to do about the font later one when I've got at least a file or two translated.

Thanks for your help!

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean to dig up an old thread, but since somebody made a translation request for this game recently, I just wonder if anyone's still interested in translating this game.

I have 3 versions of this game in Japanese, Korean and Chinese, so you can translate from any of these languages to English.

If someone can translate this game, please let me know. I can take care of the non dialog texts like items, activity descriptions, etc. and the graphics but I won't have time to translate the main dialog scripts.

Here's a bit more info on what I've tried so far.
https://sites.google.com/site/tokimemogs1/u...ng-projects/001

(The script extraction/insertion doesn't work perfectly yet. I'll work on it if someone's willing to translate the scripts.
wub.gif
)

There might be a problem with the keywords input at the end of the game, but I don't think we have to worry about that now. (It uses hand writing recognition. I don't know if we can change the keywords into English or not.)

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had a problem with getting a good ending in this game, but without knowing Japanese you might.

EDIT 6/27/2011: To make things clear outside of PM, we've decided not to do this, as we have enough games to translate already.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, if you girls already translated it, then I'll leave it to your group then.

I thought no one would pick up the request, so I just asked.
happy.gif

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
miruki said:
You should rather translate the PC version tho, since it's fully voiced and has high res graphics.. XD

(I could ask my lovely programmer dude to take a look at it btw)

I don't translate PC games >_>

I may have some time to translate DS games, but certainly not lengthy PC games XD

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
miruki said:
You should rather translate the PC version tho, since it's fully voiced and has high res graphics.. XD

(I could ask my lovely programmer dude to take a look at it btw)
I tried cracking the PC version with crass (a program) but nothing came out of it. If you got any info on the PC version, please let me know too. At least I don't think there's any font problem with PC version as it uses normal computer font.

I think there's PSP version with full voice too. They should just remake DS version with full voice. XD

AmuletCross

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um this is really late but... I know some Chinese, except I have no clue how to change the text in a rom or anything like that, I think I can help translate the scripts...

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah.
wub.gif
I can extract Chinese scripts for you to translate.
biggrin.gif

I've been working on this game for quite a while. My original plan would be to work on Ren, Masaki, Souta, and Toru first. I've got some amount of translations done for them.

So, you can decide whether you want to help with these 4 guys' scripts or you want to work on the other guys. Please PM me or post here in this thread.

This is the progress I've made so far.
https://sites.google.com/site/tokimemogs1/u...vo-side-project

[youtube]http://youtu.be/BizXSJp-xhA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/9mfdwzKip3s[/youtube]

P.S. I still have another project to take care of, so I might not be able to work on this game much until I get the other one done.
P.S.2 I'll need some editors to edit my English later.
happy.gif

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AmuletCross said:
Alright thanks, I'll help with the guys scripts and I can also edit the script later
biggrin.gif

Which one do you want to translate? Please let me know and I can send you some extracted Chinese scripts with the instructions.

By the way, I used the Korean version not the Japanese version. And I've modified a lot of things which made the patched game not compatible with the original rom.

In short, anyone wants to play the patched game must start from a blank save. You can't use your old save from the original game.

Also, I can't release any patch until I've decided all the keywords. (It's some technical thing. But, we won't run beta-testing until I'm done with keywords.
happy.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte