Homebrew [Help!] System is demanding to update my soft-modded Wii

The Rewster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently soft-modded my Wii, solely so I could use GCN Action Replay on it (the version that's not even in circulation anymore). Now whenever I put a Wii disc into my system--the particular one I'm using is Super Smash Bros. Brawl--it tells me I have to update my Wii first:

Wii said:
IMPORTANT: If your Wii console includes unauthorized modifications, this update may detect and remove unauthorized content causing immediate or delayed inoperability of your console. Failure to accept this update may also render this and future games unplayable. If you do not wish to accept this update, you can hold down the POWER button for 4 seconds.

I just want to play Brawl, not update my system and potentially brick it. So I'm afraid to click "I Accept" but I'm also afraid to hold down the power button to turn it off because that's supposed to make Brawl (and future games) unplayable on my system.

What do I do? Do I just remove the SD card every time I want to play a game like Brawl? Is there some other solution? =/

D

Deleted_171835

Do you have Priiloader installed?

If so, select 'System Hacks' and then select 'enabled' beside 'Block Disc Updates'.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can download priiloader here. After installing, power on the wii while holding down the reset button to get in the hacking menu. There, enable the 'block online updates' and 'block disk updates' hacks. It is also compatible with 4.3.

I suppose star(t)patch also works on 4.3, but not sure (nor where to download). Perhaps someone else can explain on that.

Priiloader has more features (like booting into a dol...so you could start your favorite USB loader directly instead of going to the menu). But that doesn't make star(t)patch a bad program in any way. I'd just refrain from using both at the same time, as I think they'd conflict with each other.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NEVER install startpatch and priiloader together, it can cause a horrible result! Priiloader is better in general because it can safe you if you have a banner brick or you want to load a dol or a channel if you are turning your wii on. Startpatch can only patch the menu, but priiloader is a program that loads before the system menu and also can patch the menu on the fly!

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
The Rewster said:
Also, I forgot to say, I'm using Wii version 4.3. Is Priiloader or StartPatch incompatible with that version?

Since this is basically the last System Menu version, I don't see what Brawl is missing beside an IOS you forgot to install.

Better run a syscheck first and find out what IOS is missing then install it . Installing StarPatch or Priiloader if you are already using last SM is kinda useless imo, especially since you are not going to use most of their "features" anyway

The Rewster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I've been really busy of late so I've only just now been able to download Priiloader and try it out. (Don't worry, I didn't download StartPatch together with it.)

Alright, so I put it on my SD card (the "apps" folder anyway) and from there installed it on my Homebrew. Then I restarted my Wii and went into the Priiloader program, no problem. Someone on this thread said I had to go into System Hacks to find the option to block the Wii update, but when I went into System Menu Hacks, I got the following error message: "Can't find fat:/apps/priiloader/hacks_hash.ini - Can't find hacks_hash.ini on NAND". Also, in the Priiloader folder I downloaded from the link posted in this thread, I couldn't find any "hacks_hash" file, not even under the "extras" folder.

EDIT:
Okay, so I found a hacks_hash.ini file online and downloaded it. I put it in the exact spot where the error message said (inside the "priiloader" folder inside the "apps" folder on the SD root) and--nothing. It STILL keeps giving me the same "Can't find..." error message, even though it is very plainly there. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Priiloader on my Homebrew. And it continues to pretend hacks_hash is not there.

Seriously, what do I do now? All I want is to be able to play my Wii games again.
frown.gif

The Rewster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, FIX! You're truly living up to your name. Yeah, that got me the raw hacks_hash.ini file, whereas what I downloaded earlier was actually a text file.

So good news, I can finally play my Wii games again.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there