Hacking Help setting up R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition

WIIGAMERZZZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I have just received this through the post and need to set them up before the morning as we are doing our xmas early (don't ask lol).

I have a Nintendo hotspot about 100 meters down the road as well so I am REALLY worried about messing these consoles up (I have 2 Nintendo 3ds's to do)

I don't want to play the original ds games on them they are going to be purely for 3ds roms.

If I get this right the kids are going to explode when they see them as they have no idea we have got them for them if I get it wrong I am going to want to cry as their uncles grandparents and great grandparents have all chipped in so we could afford them.

If some kind hearted sole that knows what they are doing wouldn't mind guiding me through the process I will be eternally greatful.

Sorry they are Nintendo 3DS XL's that have a lower firmware than 4.5.

I can't seem to find a link to download the newest Wood R4 kernel?

Is this the correct file I need to begin with

http://www.r4wood.com/Kernel/e/Wood_R4_v1.62.rar

WIIGAMERZZZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
cheers for that dude

I'm trying to get everything together to do it 2nite

I can't seem to find what it says I need for this step

Step 3. Extract the “Firm(3DS_Card).rar” and Copy “Launcher.dat” file to the ROOT of the SD card (for 3DS). And insert into the SD Card SLOT.

also where it says insert into the sd card slot does this mean insert it into the sd card slot on the 3ds xl (im not sure if it has one haven't had chance to look properly) or insert it into one of the flash cards?

Claw919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hang on, man.

The way you're approaching this is exactly how you end up getting in trouble. You need to read the setup guide (which you already have), and then as you come across a term that you don't understand, Google that and figure out what it is.

Seriously. Get this wrong, and you can pretty easily end up in a situation where you've updated your 3DS, and the card won't work. This is worth a bit of up-front reading. :)

Not trying to preach at you - I've been there myself (different console) and ended up having to wait almost a year until they found an exploit for the update I'd just taken.

So, back to post #7. Are you saying you can't find RAR, or you can't find the launcher.dat after you've extracted?

WIIGAMERZZZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't find the .rar

I'm trying to ask as many questions and read as much as possible now so that I know what I am doing tonight when I sit down to do it.

Claw919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

WIIGAMERZZZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks mate that's what I was looking for

Do I just drop the launcher.dat onto the sd card that is inside the 3ds or do I have to format the card that is inside the 3ds before I drop the launcher.dat onto it?

Really appreciate the help man.

WIIGAMERZZZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't quite understand this part of the tutorial that you have sent me...

Step 7. Remove your SD card (here we use a 4GB SD card) in the 3DS and insert the card into a USB port in your computer, and format the SD card. Download the latest r4i gold 3ds deluxe edition Firmware 2.0 from here. Unzip it and copy Launcher.DAT from the downloaded files onto the root of the 4GB SD card.

Is this saying take the sd card that is included with the 3ds xl out of the console and put it into my laptop, format it and then drop the launcher.dat onto it?

hiron

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't quite understand this part of the tutorial that you have sent me...

Step 7. Remove your SD card (here we use a 4GB SD card) in the 3DS and insert the card into a USB port in your computer, and format the SD card. Download the latest r4i gold 3ds deluxe edition Firmware 2.0 from here. Unzip it and copy Launcher.DAT from the downloaded files onto the root of the 4GB SD card.

Is this saying take the sd card that is included with the 3ds xl out of the console and put it into my laptop, format it and then drop the launcher.dat onto it?

Yes. Its the big SD card which you can find on the side of the XL. Format it and drop the launcher.DAT in there.
Actually I would recommend you use firmware 2.0 instead of 3.0.

Fw3.0 is still beta and wouldnt save or go into profile mode properly often. Fw2.0 is more stable. Only downside is you cant play "Zelda a Link between worlds", but for the rest its the same as Fw2.0.

In short its only:
-Insert black R4i card with Wood setup, start the 3DS setup.
-Format and put the launcher.DAT on the big 4GB SD card, put the SD card back in 3DS.
-Go to settings once you turn on the 3DS and go to "Nintendo DS profile", wait a few sec to bump you back to the 3DS mainscreen.

And your 3DS is ready to play any game you insert.

Dont forget to use the program win32diskimager to put the game on your microsd.

WIIGAMERZZZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks man that's exactly what I needed to know.

Does everybody use the 2.0 version?

My kids will not want to play Zelda so that wouldn't be a prob.

ltra1n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

hiron

Trophies
XP
Country
With 3.0 I get crashes and more often than not cannot get into the "profile". Many people have bugs on 3.0 so I really recommend fw2.0.

WIIGAMERZZZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm gunna give version 2.0 a bash if it seems to be more stable, if I have any problems I wil give 3.0 a go.

They will really never want to play Zelda tho.

WIIGAMERZZZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi again I have now done it to the point where I try and launch the Nintendo profile and it says an error has occurred and needs to restart

then when it restarts it says 'cannot display the software on the sd card

PLEASE HELP

Asiatiki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How did you solve it, wiigamerzzz?

I also bought one for my nephew and I think I have the same problem as you.

When I click on the "Nintendo DS profile", it goes blank (or should I say dark), then a message saying there was an error appears and t restarts itself. But that's as much as I was able to do. No "cannot display the software on the sd card" or anything, the white flash cart is not recognized.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Wut.