Hardware Help removing Lenovo G560 BIOS password.

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a Lenovo G560 with a BIOS password that I do not know of and can't contact the previous owner either to see if they know it, but I am requesting if there is a way to remove it. I just get an error message saying the system is halted after entering the password wrong too many times and that's it other than it also saying I said the wrong answer 3 times and blah blah blah. Is there any way to remove it other than replacing it? I really need it because I can't access all my RAM 8GB (2.93 usable) and also want to use a virtual machine. Thanks!

Update: CMOS battery cannot be removed because it is built into the motherboard. I also can't shorten out the CMOS because I can't find the points to shorten it out. I also can't cut power to it because there is nothing that can cut the power between the battery and the CMOS. Although, I am currently contacting the previous owner for the BIOS password. I might end up buying a new motherboard to replace it.

Last edited by Shadd,

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
google it, you can reset the password by removing/reinserting the CMOS battery, some kind of jumpers etc
Yup try removing the CMOS battery, wait for like half an hour before putting it back. Also remember to remove the battery while doing it (obviously)

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup try removing the CMOS battery, wait for like half an hour before putting it back. Also remember to remove the battery while doing it (obviously)
I can't find the CMOS battery, I have heard about looking behind the keyboard to find it (which is the back of the motherboard) to remove it. Someone found a battery, but it appeared to be part of the MOBO (Short for motherboard).

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
According to Lenovo and everywhere else I have looked it probably can't be done. As Yuyuyup mentioned, there may be some jumpers or contacts you could join or touch but I found nothing specific to your laptop. It may be possible to generate a password with the same checksum but that would require the checksum to be displayed in the first place. It appears that on some older Thinkpad models this checksum is displayed after inputting the wrong password three times. It probably won't but it is worth trying. If it does, you should be able to use a password generator to generate a password from the checksum. One such generator is here :-

http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-ibm-thinkpad-bios-password.html

It's possible there is a tool/tools on something like Hiren's Boot CD that may work, other than that, IDK. You will probably have to replace the board as that is the only solution Lenovo officially provides (that I can find) :-

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/HT103650?LinkTrack=Solr

Last edited by ILuvGames,

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just find the CLRP3 pad and short it. That will reset it and there will be no more password.
Or just use a bios mod. https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-Lenovo-g770-bios-unlock?pid=42719#pid42719
https://www.bios-mods.com/downloads/
Just be careful.
I don't think I can find those points on my laptop to short it out to reset the CMOS memory.
According to Lenovo and everywhere else I have looked it probably can't be done. As Yuyuyup mentioned, there may be some jumpers or contacts you could join or touch but I found nothing specific to your laptop. It may be possible to generate a password with the same checksum but that would require the checksum to be displayed in the first place. It appears that on some older Thinkpad models this checksum is displayed after inputting the wrong password three times. It probably won't but it is worth trying. If it does, you should be able to use a password generator to generate a password from the checksum. One such generator is here :-

http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-ibm-thinkpad-bios-password.html

It's possible there is a tool/tools on something like Hiren's Boot CD that may work, other than that, IDK. You will probably have to replace the board as that is the only solution Lenovo officially provides (that I can find) :-

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/HT103650?LinkTrack=Solr
Don't worry, I am currently trying to contact the guy who sold me the computer to tell me (if he remembers) the BIOS password. If he can't remember then I would have to buy a new one around $50 which is about $10 more than my RAM (which I am fine with).

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Buy what? If you're gonna replace the BIOS chip then maybe try reading the nvram out first.
There's a dumb trick on old thinkpads that lets you override and overwrite the supervisor password by shorting some pins on the flash chip. Don't think it works anymore though.

thinkpadbioslock.png

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy what? If you're gonna replace the BIOS chip then maybe try reading the nvram out first.
There's a dumb trick on old thinkpads that lets you override and overwrite the supervisor password by shorting some pins on the flash chip. Don't think it works anymore though.

View attachment 62798
For some reason on this motherboard there are no pins nor nothing that can reset the motherboard. I think this is why they say we have to replace the motherboard in stores (although this might be false).

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 62798
Many people confuse the Lenovo G560 and Lenovo G560 Thinkpad which are both different. The Lenovo G560 Thinkpad has a Dual-Core Intel Core I3 Processor while this Lenovo G560 laptop has a Dual-Core Intel Pentium P5600 CPU processor. They both might have similar motherboards, but does not necessarily mean that they are exactly alike. I am going to replace the motherboard of the laptop since there is nothing on the internet that shows how to remove it, but it shows that I have to replace it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night