Homebrew HELP PLS I NEED TO PORT DELTARUNE

AMPISSED

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im attempting to port deltarune chapter 1 and 2 to cia/2ds but i dont know where to start pls help cwdjiwfjievji

Last edited by AMPISSED,

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't be easy! If you want it done, you're going to have to put in weeks of just learning basic programming.
So question: do you want to build the game from scratch in its image? or do you want to attempt to port it?

If you want to build it from scratch, @XavyrrVaati has the start of the start started for you with LOVE. AFAIK, that is basically a room walking simulator so far, so you'll have to code interactions with objects, text boxes, and the battle system. For this you need to pick up the Lua programming language, and the LovePotion API. 3ds specific info at https://lovebrew.org/
Although if you're doing this route, just make your own game :)

If you want to port it 1:1 onto the 3ds, know that Toby Fox's games are made with GameMaker: Studio. Do research on this. OpenGMK is an open source project written in Rust that aims to "emulate" GameMaker games. Port the runner to the 3ds and you may have something real good. Rust programs can be compiled for the 3ds with ctru-st.

Good luck with that rabbit hole

AMPISSED

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It won't be easy! If you want it done, you're going to have to put in weeks of just learning basic programming.
So question: do you want to build the game from scratch in its image? or do you want to attempt to port it?

If you want to build it from scratch, @XavyrrVaati has the start of the start started for you with AFAIK, that is basically a room walking simulator so far, so you'll have to code interactions with objects, text boxes, and the battle system. For this you need to pick up the Lua programming language, and the LovePotion API. 3ds specific info at

If you want to port it 1:1 onto the 3ds, know that Toby Fox's games are made with GameMaker: Studio. Do research on this.

is an open source project written in Rust that aims to "emulate" GameMaker games. Port the runner to the 3ds and you may have something real good. Rust programs can be compiled for the 3ds with

thx

Reactions: Conn0r

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
im attempting to port deltarune chapter 1 and 2 to cia/2ds but i dont know where to start pls help cwdjiwfjievji
Ports normally require source code. People have been able to port Game Maker games to different platforms, thanks to the fact the data files are platform agnostic, so you just need to obtain a runner (of the right version) and it should be able to load the data files, but there is a caveat. Game Maker Studio only supports certain platforms and I don't think the 3DS is one of them, so there is little chance of being able to port any GM:S game to the 3DS. Other platforms are possible assuming you can obtain a runner recent enough (as Deltarune uses a more recent version of GM:S)

If you want to build it from scratch, @XavyrrVaati has the start of the start started for you with LOVE. AFAIK, that is basically a room walking simulator so far, so you'll have to code interactions with objects, text boxes, and the battle system. For this you need to pick up the Lua programming language, and the LovePotion API. 3ds specific info at https://lovebrew.org/

If you want to port it 1:1 onto the 3ds, know that Toby Fox's games are made with GameMaker: Studio. Do research on this. OpenGMK is an open source project written in Rust that aims to "emulate" GameMaker games. Port the runner to the 3ds and you may have something real good. Rust programs can be compiled for the 3ds with ctru-st.

But how well does it work and what's the latest version of GM:S supported? People haven't figured out the data file structure of more recent versions fully and Deltarune chapter 2 uses a recent version.
Edit: Ahh, GM8. That's nice, but completely useless for this. GM:S compiles projects into bytecode, which is totally different from GM8 which just includes an encrypted project file in the .exe (which can be easily decompiled back into a fully functional project file), due to that a GM8 runner is completely useless for GM:S games, as it's a totally different runner, it was rewritten from scratch.
The bytecode isn't fully understood, especially in more recent versions, so creating a runner for it would not be an easy task.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

susbaconhairman

I am the official skribbler
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
You will need to learn how to code in C and C++ in the 3DS library, and since I'm pretty sure that game is closed source, your gonna have to make it from scratch. Try taking screenshots of the game, find image and audio dumps, and I guess try to peice it all together.

chazdoesstuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ports normally require source code. People have been able to port Game Maker games to different platforms, thanks to the fact the data files are platform agnostic, so you just need to obtain a runner (of the right version) and it should be able to load the data files, but there is a caveat. Game Maker Studio only supports certain platforms and I don't think the 3DS is one of them, so there is little chance of being able to port any GM:S game to the 3DS. Other platforms are possible assuming you can obtain a runner recent enough (as Deltarune uses a more recent version of GM:S)

But how well does it work and what's the latest version of GM:S supported? People haven't figured out the data file structure of more recent versions fully and Deltarune chapter 2 uses a recent version.
Edit: Ahh, GM8. That's nice, but completely useless for this. GM:S compiles projects into bytecode, which is totally different from GM8 which just includes an encrypted project file in the .exe (which can be easily decompiled back into a fully functional project file), due to that a GM8 runner is completely useless for GM:S games, as it's a totally different runner, it was rewritten from scratch.
The bytecode isn't fully understood, especially in more recent versions, so creating a runner for it would not be an easy task.

Plus I saw an online decomp tool on reddit some time ago so yea, mostly solved that problem

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, the bi-monthly "script kiddie wants to port trendy game to the only device they own" thread.

Porting a game isn't a simple process or something you can just "do" like that, especially without source code available. For something like Deltarune, you'd basically have to rebuild the game from scratch considering the 3DS doesn't support Game Maker.

that's a shitpost
Plus I saw an online decomp tool on reddit some time ago so yea, mostly solved that problem
Game Maker decomps just decompile to like, a GMS project file don't they? That wouldn't be enough to port to 3DS.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Yeah, there are decompilers, they just give you bytecode back though, not the original code. The bytecode is kinda like assembly, it's not very easy to understand, but it's doable. People use the decompilers to make small changes to games, fully reverse engineering a game from that bytecode is a lot more complicated and nobody's done it yet AFAIK.
Ah yes, the bi-monthly "script kiddie wants to port trendy game to the only device they own" thread.

Porting a game isn't a simple process or something you can just "do" like that, especially without source code available. For something like Deltarune, you'd basically have to rebuild the game from scratch considering the 3DS doesn't support Game Maker.

that's a shitpost

Game Maker decomps just decompile to like, a GMS project file don't they? That wouldn't be enough to port to 3DS.
You don't even get a project file. Just loose assets and scripts in bytecode format. You can modify the scripts and replace assets, but it's nowhere near as good as having the original project file.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: CeeDee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.