generic_user_002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to do the ntrboot hack on my n3dsxl running v11.6. I have an Acekard 2i and a DS Lite so I'm following the guide for "flashing-ntrboot-(nds)". The Acekard 2i is HW81 (confirmed via the Akaio help menu).

I've followed all the instructions, flashed the flashcard, put the files on the 3ds sd card, but hit a problem when I get to booting the 3ds with the magnet in place, holding down x+start+select. Nothing happens! The power and wireless lights come on, black screen, and that's it. If I take the magnet away it has booted as normal. What am I doing wrong?

generic_user_002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Make sure you're holding the buttons before you press power, and keep holding them for a few seconds afterward before releasing.
Hi, thanks for the help. I've tried many combinations! I just tried what you suggested again a few times but still no luck. Just boots as normal into sleep mode..

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, thanks for the help. I've tried many combinations! I just tried what you suggested again a few times but still no luck. Just boots as normal into sleep mode..
That's normal behavior when you don't have a ntrboot flashcart in the slot and use the button combination. It's definitely recognizing the button input otherwise it wouldn't boot until you removed the magnet.
Are you sure it's flashed correctly?

Reactions: Tac 21

generic_user_002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's normal behavior when you don't have a ntrboot flashcart in the slot and use the button combination. It's definitely recognizing the button input otherwise it wouldn't boot until you removed the magnet.
Well not 100% sure - is there a way to verify? The flash process on the ds lite went fine I think.. selected inject ntrboothax, took a minute or so to get to 100% and then I hit ok and ejected it. When I put the flashcart into the 3ds should it show up on the home menu? Because I get nothing, was wondering if bad connection. The acekard still works fine every time of the ds lite.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well not 100% sure - is there a way to verify? The flash process on the ds lite went fine I think.. selected inject ntrboothax, took a minute or so to get to 100% and then I hit ok and ejected it. When I put the flashcart into the 3ds should it show up on the home menu? Because I get nothing, was wondering if bad connection. The acekard still works fine every time of the ds lite.
It won't show up on the home menu anymore after being flashed. Maybe something went wrong with the flashing, but to try again you'd need another DS flashcart in order to boot up the flasher.

generic_user_002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It won't show up on the home menu anymore after being flashed. Maybe something went wrong with the flashing, but to try again you'd need another DS flashcart in order to boot up the flasher.
actually i did try to flash it again. The acekard still keeps working in the NDS after flashing - or so I understand? Mine still works fine using Akaio on the NDS so I tried to reflash with ntrboot - same result as last time, seems to be successful, but still no luck when trying to boot it in the 3ds

generic_user_002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
actually i did try to flash it again. The acekard still keeps working in the NDS after flashing - or so I understand? Mine still works fine using Akaio on the NDS so I tried to reflash with ntrboot - same result as last time, seems to be successful, but still no luck when trying to boot it in the 3ds
just realized that I never did step 5. of section II on the guide https://3ds.guide/flashing-ntrboot-(nds) I was never given this option - has the software changed?

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New 3DS can boot with the magnet in place without issue, only Old 3DS consoles will refuse to boot with the magnet.

just realized that I never did step 5. of section II on the guide https://3ds.guide/flashing-ntrboot-(nds) I was never given this option - has the software changed?
I think that was renamed in later versions of the software, but it's the same thing. I could be incorrect though, I don't have a copy of it on my flashcart to go check.

generic_user_002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well i'm totally stumped then. I read on another thread that sometimes it's hard to make contact with the n3sxl and the acekard - I tried putting a paper shim behind it but no difference. If you look side on between the acekard and a regular game cart the contacts do look a bit higher up on the game cart. Anyone had this issue?

As a test I was thinking I could restore the acekard to it's original state in the ds lite and then see if it shows up on the n3ds home menu, but I think I read that acekard 2i is only supported up to version 4.3 or something, and I'm on 11.6 so that probably wouldn't show up on the home menu anyway I guess?

I should mention that I also attempted a hardmod before trying the ntrboot method, but abandoned it as I had no success. I dumped and patched a nand and re-flashed it to the ds, but I couldn't get it to boot into the CFW boot.firm so I assumed that b9s was not patched successfully. Would this affect the ntrboot at all? I can't believe I didn't read the guide well enough - I didn't realize I could do the ntrboot method, which is why I attmpted the hardmod. :glare:

Bateees

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took almost an hour my first time doing it. After a while you get the hang of it. It's much easier to do on the new 3ds systems because the older models have much stiffer start select buttons and are below the touch screen. What I do is cover the entire area with magnets below the Y and X area. You will need to physically hold all 4 buttons down for at least 6 seconds after the power light comes on. slowly count out loud 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and then move the magnets.

Last edited by Bateees,

Gcentrex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're doing something wrong is all I can think, magnet placement is weird to get right at first but once you're use to it you can do it again easy.

Also Acekard 2i when flashed as ntrboot will retain its rom loading functions on DS/DSi (depending on firmware) systems and also work on 3DS that's running CFW.

No matter the firmware flashed to Acekard 2i it will show on the homemenu it just wont run if loaded official firmware (unless below 4.3 and running the right Acekard 2i firmware)

generic_user_002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're doing something wrong is all I can think, magnet placement is weird to get right at first but once you're use to it you can do it again easy.

Also Acekard 2i when flashed as ntrboot will retain its rom loading functions on DS/DSi (depending on firmware) systems and also work on 3DS that's running CFW.

No matter the firmware flashed to Acekard 2i it will show on the homemenu it just wont run if loaded official firmware (unless below 4.3 and running the right Acekard 2i firmware)

Right, so it should definitely show on the home menu?? Even if on v11.6? What does it show as, and acekard symbol or what? I think this might be the problem, I don't think the 3ds if reading the card. I was looking at this page https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Solving_Acekard_2i_Contact_Issues I think I might try some of these. I've tried shimming behind with paper already but i think the contacts may be too low for the 3ds slot. I'm also going to try what Bateees said and hold for longer

Gcentrex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, so it should definitely show on the home menu?? Even if on v11.6? What does it show as, and acekard symbol or what? I think this might be the problem, I don't think the 3ds if reading the card. I was looking at this page https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Solving_Acekard_2i_Contact_Issues I think I might try some of these. I've tried shimming behind with paper already but i think the contacts may be too low for the 3ds slot. I'm also going to try what Bateees said and hold for longer

Yes it will show on the homemenu no matter what firmware your on it just won't load unless running CFW.

Don't use paper its too thin use something like a metrocard/thick business card/heavy card stock, or try using a large piece of card to push the entire card forward instead I believe their are pictures of it in the DS section.

generic_user_002

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it will show on the homemenu no matter what firmware your on it just won't load unless running CFW.

Don't use paper its too thin use something like a metrocard/thick business card/heavy card stock, or try using a large piece of card to push the entire card forward instead I believe their are pictures of it in the DS section.

Halle-***ing-lujah! :yay3ds:

It was definitely the contact! The contacts on the acekard were too low down in the plastic cartridge. i tried to shim under the PCB to raise them as suggested in the guide but that just raised the middle contacts, without raising the edges. In the end I (bear with me! :wtf::wtf:) took a sharp knife and shaved the housing of the end of the cart down, and then put tape on the opposite side so that when inserted the cart is angled up slightly to raise the contacts. Stuck it in, up pops the AC2 logo on the homescreen! The did the magnets and button hold and boom, into the ntrboot screen.:yay: Macgyver ftw!

Reactions: Gcentrex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol