Help on Wiikey Install please!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by punjabirudeboi, May 11, 2007.

May 11, 2007
  1. punjabirudeboi
    OP

Newcomer punjabirudeboi Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi, my dad was soldering the wiikey into the wii (using wires) and had soldered all wires onto the PCB when one of the wires on the small points broke off. Then he accidentally lifted one of the pads [​IMG] What I wanted to know is whether the electrical tracks which run to the IC chip on the wii, are on the surface. I was wondering whether I could scratch away some of the surface plastic and solder straight onto the track.
    What do you think?
    What should I do ?
    Id be very grateful for help.

2. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    You could try that, it wouldn't hurt.

I once lifted a pad on a wii, and simply applied solder back into the hole where the pad was. It worked.

3. pacha69

Member pacha69 GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    i think you can scrach the plastic surface and solder straight onto the track, or you can follow the track and solder straight onto the chip ....

4. punjabirudeboi
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thats too hard because the risk of shorting the circuit with other legs, is too high, thanx anyway tho.

Keep the ideas coming people, theyre a great help!

5. punjabirudeboi
    OP

United Kingdom
    Actually, now I think I'll be getting it proffesionally modded by www.consoleworkshop.co.uk as the guy their has fixed many bodged installs to a high standard. Do you think that a £49 repair including return delivery of the wii is worth it?
    The guy will have to solder 2 wires to the IC chip as I have now lifted 2 pads.
    Is it worth £49 of my dad's hard-earned money?
    Do you guys have any cheaper places?

6. darrrren

Newcomer darrrren Member

United Kingdom
    ebay £25 plus return postage. just search for wiikey.

7. Avenger

Member Avenger GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Soldering to the track will be okay, just be sure to secure it as the tracks are very small and do not hold as well. I usually attempt that prior to the IC. www.consoleworkshop.co.uk does some amazing work from what I have seen, I would send it there if you are uncomfortable, and especially before attempting the IC if you are unsure.

8. Sk3pT!kaL

Newcomer Sk3pT!kaL Member

United States
    I had my step solder it for me and he accidentally removed one of the pads, but he said he scratched away and soldered on the track. I'm pretty sure it will work, if it doesn't you can still sell it on ebay since it should work with normal games, just wont be able to mod it again. (then again your current situation at the moment only lets you play normal games, so you won't really have anything left to lose except for shorting something in the wii [​IMG].)