Hardware [Help] O3DS shuts down after 10 minutes from full charge, doesn't actually run out of battery?

ZombyEmblem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About 3 days ago, I started using ctr-httpwn so I could access WiFi features and Miiverse without having to update my system. The next two days after that, as I was playing, I noticed that the system was demanding to be plugged in and charged more often than normal. The battery life definitely seemed weirdly short, but I assumed it was a quirk of running ctr or something and didn't worry about it.

Today, however, I was playing the same game as before without ctr, and at one point I looked over and noticed the battery light was red. It took 5-7 seconds for me to reach over and plug the charger in, and very shortly after I looked back again and saw the orange light come on, the system shut off. Obviously this was fishy, so after I charged it back up to full, I did a little testing.

I turned the system back on and left it sitting on the Home Menu-- volume off, brightness on 1, no Power Save mode, no hacks or apps running, WiFi still switched on, charger unplugged. The battery meter in the top corner displayed as being full, and the battery light stayed blue. After eight minutes, however, I looked back and saw the battery light was red and the battery meter was at half. In about 25 seconds, the system shut off completely. All in all, about 9 minutes from full to death. I tried to boot it again without recharging, and when I did, the battery meter displayed at full again. Everything was the same, except this time it only took 4 minutes to die.

I just don't have any idea what's causing this. I've had this O3DS since they were first released and I've never replaced the battery before, but the battery life's been fine every time I've used it until just a couple days ago when I started using ctr. I never saw anything on github about ctr-httpwn causing this, but it never happened before I used ctr, so why the sudden change? Did I screw up somewhere along the way?

For reference, I'm on 10.7 and using OoTHax to run Homebrew (which I first installed several months ago, like January or February), but ctr-httpwn is all I've used it for so far. It hasn't gotten any water damage or any impacts anytime in my recent memory, either. (I haven't opened up the battery case yet to physically inspect it, but I'm planning to do so soon.) I apologize if there's an easy answer to this, but I didn't see any other topics with this specific issue, and nobody else I've talked to has had an answer.

Reactions: zoogie

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Li-ion batteries can suddenly go bad with age.

Anyway, you can try removing the battery and cleaning the contacts with alcohol and/or putting tape over the non-contact end so the connector pins press harder against the 3ds for hopefully a more solid connection. Then recharge of course.

I really think the battery has died of old age though.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: ZombyEmblem

ZombyEmblem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hadn't replied to this because I was going to take a look at the thing before saying anything, but it turns out I don't have the tools to do it right now. But yeah, I think I'll probably end up buying a new battery. Thanks for your help!

Ursus Major

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Did you ever let the 3DS just sit there for longer periods of time without ever charging or discharging it?
Li-Ion batteries hate that. Especially if they're empty.

ZombyEmblem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you ever let the 3DS just sit there for longer periods of time without ever charging or discharging it?
Li-Ion batteries hate that. Especially if they're empty.
Yeah, I... did that kind of a lot. I'd never actually looked up how to properly care for/preserve these kinds of batteries before the day I started this thread, so I never knew about that stuff, but when I looked at a list of things to not do with your battery, it was just... "Ah, yes. I have done these." Especially in the last month or so-- I haven't been playing much at all between beating Kirby Planet Robobot and resuming Fire Emblem Fates just now. So that contributed as well.
Do you need a replacement battery? I can send one for you. I'm not paying shipping, though. xD
Nah, I actually got one (and the screwdriver needed to open up the case), but thank you! I'm still charging the new battery in preparation for testing its lifespan, but I think I can confirm that the old one was trashed, because... Well. I didn't mention this at first, but I noticed a while ago that the battery case seemed to be bending outward, like what was inside was too big. And when I opened it up, lo and behold, the battery itself was swollen! So it seems pretty clear-cut now, although I'll come back for sure if things still aren't working.

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the battery was swollen, it definitely was no good--and good timing to get it out of there before it started leaking or something.

ZombyEmblem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, really! When I noticed it and started looking stuff up, I was afraid I would open up the case and a bunch of nasty gross shit would pop out all over me. Luckily not, though.
Also, I'm testing it again, and it's run an hour on the new battery, and the home menu battery meter hasn't even gone down to 75% yet. So I'm thinking the problem is solved! Thanks for your help, everyone!

Reactions: alpha_noj

Ursus Major

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Get rid of that swollen battery asap!
It could literally burst into flames if the inside comes into contact with oxygen.

ZombyEmblem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... I was going to wait to reply to that until after I'd disposed of it, but then I realized it wouldn't be clear that I'm still alive.
Well, I am! The battery is currently sitting in the sink (in case of fire) but also in a ceramic, relatively fireproof bowl (so whatever ugly chemicals are inside have no chance of going down the drain). I'm looking up places I can dispose of it tomorrow after work. Thanks for warning me, I had it just lying around and I probably would've put it in the trash otherwise.

Ursus Major

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just so you know, Lithium fires can be put out with water, so thats good.
I'm not sure about the explosive power of the battery though.
Never seen one explode irl, but from the videos i saw, i assume it would probably blow the ceramic bowl (and maybe even the sink) to pieces, as it literally explodes.

ZombyEmblem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah! That would have been a problem, then. Good thing I got it to a shop and sorted everything out safely, then. Everything should be fine now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night