Hacking [HELP] O3DS on 3.0.0: CFW without browser and no DS flashcart?

D

Deleted-236924

Yeah it will, it will tell you it needs to update to [system version] with a confirmation screen.
I -think- there might be even newer revisions of Smash that come with higher firmware versions but I don't think those have actually been dumped and shared online, so you don't have to worry about downloading one with too high firmware on it.

Reactions: KaduPSE

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah it will, it will tell you it needs to update to [system version] with a confirmation screen.
I -think- there might be even newer revisions of Smash that come with higher firmware versions but I don't think those have actually been dumped and shared online, so you don't have to worry about downloading one with too high firmware on it.
Perfect. So that's it, I'll download Smash and try to use Ninjhax 2.5. That will take me a while because I'm not home, so I'll be downloading using cellular data. But I'll be back to confirm wether or not it worked. Thank you all very much for the replies.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Perfect. So that's it, I'll download Smash and try to use Ninjhax 2.5. That will take me a while because I'm not home, so I'll be downloading using cellular data. But I'll be back to confirm wether or not it worked. Thank you all very much for the replies.
The smash you need (9.2) is id #1670
http://3dsdb.com/
approx. 1.2GB

Last edited by zoogie,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Thanks!
The one I'm currently downloading is got 1.11GB, is there a software that I can run to see if there's an update in the ROM? That would be easier than writing to the Sky3Ds everytime I test a new ROM.
you could checksum it (crc32) and put it in the search bar of that site I linked you.

this is the best actually, CTR "crappy tiny reader"
http://scene.releases.free.fr/index.php?p=tools

Last edited by zoogie,

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
Just get to 4.5 via a game like ben10 (less expensive 4.3 I think will work just as well)

When on 4.5 use mset to load rxtools.

Then use rxtools and injected FBI to install sysupdate.

Use rxtools devmode to go back into system nand and use sysupdate to update to 9.2-20

Your main issue is just getting to 4.5 (or compatible mset firmware) to use mset

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just get to 4.5 via a game like ben10 (less expensive 4.3 I think will work just as well)

When on 4.5 use mset to load rxtools.

Then use rxtools and injected FBI to install sysupdate.

Use rxtools devmode to go back into system nand and use sysupdate to update to 9.2-20

Your main issue is just getting to 4.5 (or compatible mset firmware) to use mset

The problem in my case is that MSET requires a DS flashcard (Because my console doesn't have the browser), and those are generally cheap but not on my country unfortunately.

Last edited by KaduPSE,

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem in my case is that MSET requires a DS flashcard (Because my console doesn't have the browser), and those are generally cheap but not on my country unfortunately.
I'm sure there's a guide here somewhere about starting rxtools via mset but without flashcard.... I might be wrong

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I was reading the tutorial for installing CFW, and it asks me to create a Emunand before installing RxTools, and in order to do that I should scan a QR code from Gateway, but I can only seem to find ones for the N3DS, how do I create an Emunand? Do I need one or I can install directly to Sysnand? Could that be done via HBL on hax 2.5?

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You could also set up rxtools without emunand, and install a browser first. Then continue on with what your guide says.
The guide I was reading seems to be outdated, or designed to be used with older methods. Also, I'm not expert in CFW for the 3Ds. I was under the assumption that RxTools required an Emunand to be installed, isn't that the case? If I install it first, can I later setup an Emunand? And if I make it autoboot from Themehax can I later no longer use Cubic Ninja and change my SD card with a bigger capacity one?

D

Deleted-236924

rxTools can run off sysnand, it's recommended you never use sysnand for anything other than booting up your CFW though so you should get emunand regardless.
If you install rxTools first (it only really sets up files on your SD card and doesn't actually install anything to the 3DS btw), you can create emunand later without any problems.

And yes if you install menuhax you won't need cubic ninja to boot into homebrew launcher anymore. If you want to change to a different SD card, you'll have to create an emunand partition on it, backup emunand from the first SD card and restore it to the emunand partition on the second SD card.

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
rxTools can run off sysnand, it's recommended you never use sysnand for anything other than booting up your CFW though so you should get emunand regardless.
If you install rxTools first (it only really sets up files on your SD card and doesn't actually install anything to the 3DS btw), you can create emunand later without any problems.

And yes if you install menuhax you won't need cubic ninja to boot into homebrew launcher anymore. If you want to change to a different SD card, you'll have to create an emunand partition on it, backup emunand from the first SD card and restore it to the emunand partition on the second SD card.

I have the original SD card of the console, another slow 2GB one, and a 32GB one. I'm currently using the 32GB one with the Sky3DS, which I'll be using to boot Ninjhax until I install themehax, but later would like it to be the SD in the console. So I should: Install Ninjhax on the default SD, install Menuhax, change to the bigger SD with the files from the previous one, boot HBL using themehax, do a Emunand and then finally install rxTools? And rxTools will be booted just like any Homebrew app, unless I use the boot manager, right?

D

Deleted-236924

The 32GB one is a microSD with a microSD-to-SD adapter yeah?

And yeah that should work. rxTools has a few methods for booting via HBL, you can boot it from a .3dsx file or you can directly boot rxTools code.bin from CTRBootManager. I personally just use CTRBootManager to load rxTools code.bin automatically on startup.

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The 32GB one is a microSD with a microSD-to-SD adapter yeah?

And yeah that should work. rxTools has a few methods for booting via HBL, you can boot it from a .3dsx file or you can directly boot rxTools code.bin from CTRBootManager. I personally just use CTRBootManager to load rxTools code.bin automatically on startup.
You've been massively helpful, I can donate via PayPal for you to buy a coffee as a "thanks" ;). Now I feel like I've got an understanding of all this, I believed rxTools would completely rewrite the system upon installed, but it seems that it just boots the system and applies some patches. Is backing up my Nand necessary? And when using the option "Setup a new Emunand" it will create it on the current SD or I'll have to switch to another one?

D

Deleted-236924

Yeah, the patches applied by rxTools (and by any CFW for the matter) are only applied on the fly in memory and everything disappears once you power off.

Backing up nand is not necessary per-se, but highly recommended because it will be your failsafe if you ever mess up sysnand at some point for whatever reason. Of course, if that happens and you brick your 3DS, you would need a hardmod (requires precise soldering) to restore the backup, but it would be the only way to fix it if it bricked like that.

Also it's good to have it because, let's say you accidentally updated sysnand past 9.2, if you have a backup you can restore it, also with a hardmod.

Emunand9Tool asks you to switch to the SD card you want to setup emunand on when you select Complete Emunand Setup I believe. I'm not entirely sure yet if Emunand9Tool wipes the SD card when creating emunand but just to be on the safe side, might as well backup SD card contents before creating emunand.

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, the patches applied by rxTools (and by any CFW for the matter) are only applied on the fly in memory and everything disappears once you power off.

Backing up nand is not necessary per-se, but highly recommended because it will be your failsafe if you ever mess up sysnand at some point for whatever reason. Of course, if that happens and you brick your 3DS, you would need a hardmod (requires precise soldering) to restore the backup, but it would be the only way to fix it if it bricked like that.

Also it's good to have it because, let's say you accidentally updated sysnand past 9.2, if you have a backup you can restore it, also with a hardmod.

Emunand9Tool asks you to switch to the SD card you want to setup emunand on when you select Complete Emunand Setup I believe. I'm not entirely sure yet if Emunand9Tool wipes the SD card when creating emunand but just to be on the safe side, might as well backup SD card contents before creating emunand.
Last question, so the SD I should have inserted when using Emunand9Tool is the one where everything is setup, and when it asks me to switch I put the one I'll be using once everything is done, is that so?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm finally gonna get this NAS racked and powered on tonight, install truenas core, and burn the...