Not open for further replies.

sykeitzstan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I've just recently registered here at GBAtemp.net and I would like to ask a few questions.

I've been wanting to translate a game called "Bokujou Monogatari - Futago no Mura" which is one of the Harvest Moon series.

Here I'm not saying I can do a full translation nor am I saying its simple or easy, in fact, I know it's more complicated than simple.

But I've searched through google and many other sites besides this and have found only those who would redirect me to another site that will either fail to open, outdated, or with no directions on how to at all.

From my previous searches I've come to know that I need some basic Hex Editing knowledge. I won't say I'm an expert, I can't even say I'm an intermediate, but I have hex edited before.

I did search youtube and I did find something about editing Nintendo DS Rom Text, but it did not work as the video showed me. (he simply changed some words in the hex editor)

So now I'm here trying to learn how to translate a japanese Nintendo DS rom to english.

No, I do not know how to read japanese.

No, I do not know how to edit the text inside the Roms.

That is why I'm here, I'm simply going to use google translator to translate the Japanese words.

Just please tell me how to even do that.

I don't care if the english is going to be scribble. Just teach me how to translate it with google translator. Thanks.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the first step is to use a program like DSLazy which can unpack a DS ROM and let you get at the individual files inside it!

It's those resource files which can directly contain the text/graphics (though compression and encoding schemes vary and can be hard to figure out).

sykeitzstan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the fast reply

In fact I have already downloaded DSLazy program and already unpacked the DS rom, the files came with a (dot)bin format. i tried opening it with wordpad, hex editors, and even winrar, didnt seem to at all. is there something that i need to do to those files?

sykeitzstan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i see, if someone can decode it for me, then it'd be great because i plan to only translate it with google translator, oh yeah, my rom that i currently have is patched with a fix if that means anything, thanks for the info anyway.

sykeitzstan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't want to know everything about rom hacking, i just want to know how to get to the file where it contains the text version of the game. i know this is in the rom hacking category but all i want to know is the translation. just the text, nothing more. i have already been through the sites you gave me, they gave me NO directions on how exactly to translate a rom or how to even get to the text of the rom.]

i would understand if they gave me a set of programs that correspond to each other and the files that have been unpacked from the rom, but those sites gave me a list of random programs that a beginner like me cant figure out whats the use of them. its like giving a nintendo ds to a newborn baby.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
sykeitzstan said:
i don't want to know everything about rom hacking, i just want to know how to get to the file where it contains the text version of the game. i know this is in the rom hacking category but all i want to know is the translation. just the text, nothing more. i have already been through the sites you gave me, they gave me NO directions on how exactly to translate a rom or how to even get to the text of the rom.]

i would understand if they gave me a set of programs that correspond to each other and the files that have been unpacked from the rom, but those sites gave me a list of random programs that a beginner like me cant figure out whats the use of them. its like giving a nintendo ds to a newborn baby.
Rom translating = rom hacking. You have to learn everything about rom hacking in order to understand how to translate text in Roms.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Dude, if there was a universal "use this and this and there's the plaintext, stick it into google translate" method, pretty much every game would be translated. They're not because it actually takes learning, and you need to learn a lot before you can do it.

Now do you see why it's not done yet? People like you that want it... don't want it bad enough to spend a few weeks learning ROM hacking first.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the two here has mentioned, you need to learn romhacking before you can do anything.
So either learn or quit, and please... Don't use google translate, cause 50% of what you'll get won't even be correct. What's the point in playing a game you don't even know is correct?

Just be patient and wait for the game to get localized, it'll happen, it's Natsume.

sykeitzstan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm using google translate for a reason, as i do not know much japanese words i can use google translate to translate them to english, even if they are gibberish, they can be reworded to match the scene. use of common sense to compare what was translated to get a better image of that it actually meant to say.

and by the way, i have already read all of the content on the posts regarding rom hacking. neither of them teaches me how to hack a rom rather telling me what i need to hack a rom.

telling me what i need to hack a rom doesn't teach me on how to actually do it.

i'm not planning to "play" the game. i'm trying to "learn" a few basics for translations and for other people who wish to see progress on this rom as its rumored to come to the US in the near 2012.

@rydian

since when did i ask for programs for translation?
what i asked is on how to translate and what do i need to do to get to the part where i can actually see the text. i did not say what program do i need. please read before you post.

@Wiibricker

if thats the case then if you can provide a "better" tutorial than the ones already provided.
a picture contains a thousand words.
a video contains a thousand pictures.

----------------------------------------------------

if you're going to say "if you're willing to learn then you will have to read and understand" then it is people like you that is making learning a much harder experience for new comers.

even if i'm in no place to say this, but in areas where i'm a veteran at, i would tell people this. "if us experienced people who not teach those who want to learn, then who will?"

not every game can be translated is not because its too complex, it is also because of the lack of people working to translate these roms, because of the lack of knowledge given to those who actually want to translate.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can already tell you you won't get anywhere.
You're rude and don't want to learn.

QUOTE said:
since when did i ask for programs for translation?
what i asked is on how to translate and what do i need to do to get to the part where i can actually see the text. i did not say what program do i need. please read before you post.

Oh, then by all means, go translate!
We all know you don't need programs to translate or get text into a game.

You want to hear an easy way out, but there is none.
As for your, "Common sense" routine with Google translate, Google can't do negative sentences correctly, so common sense fails there. It also sucks with Katakana and Kanji.

There is no easy way to romhack, if you don't want to learn, then don't learn.
You can't ask for answers and then give everyone who helps an attitude.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
sykeitzstan said:
i'm using google translate for a reason, as i do not know much japanese words i can use google translate to translate them to english, even if they are gibberish, they can be reworded to match the scene. use of common sense to compare what was translated to get a better image of that it actually meant to say.
Yes, we all know, and you're certainly not the first person who thought of doing that... which is why I pointed out that's NOT the barrier preventing translations, it's the actual hacking.

The tutorials you're looking at on romhacking.net and such that you're dismissing because you think they're not relevant? THEY ARE RELEVANT, and if you ignore them you'll never learn.

Do you know what endian-ness is? Do you know what a nibble is? Do you know what an octet is? Do you know what a magic number is? Do you know the max possible decimal value for two bytes used at once?

Yes, these things matter. You will encounter them, and you will need to know what to do.

We COULD hold your hand and tell you all the steps, but then we'd be doing everything for you except copy-pasting the text into google translate.

We're linking you to the guides because YOU have to follow them. We can't follow them for you, and if there was a shorter and easier way there'd be shorter and easier guides!

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New-guy, you're getting answers from one of our more knowledgeable members, and one of our well-known ROM translators.
If they tell you that you need to learn ROM-hacking first....you do.
If they tell you that translating a game isn't nearly as simple as you think it is....then it isn't.
I've seen translation projects that involve people who actually know Japanese take years to complete.

I think you need to stop and listen to these people a bit.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify, I'm not even the ROM hacker.
tongue.gif

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the re-direct to that other GBAtemp topic that Wiibricker posted is your best bet to begin. It is one of the best starter guides I have seen. It may be a bit technical because that is the way FAST talks, but it is simple enough.

Inori

Trophies
Website
gokusaishiki.wordpress.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

Okay, there must be something wrong with my eyes, because I cannot believe the kind of idiocy I`m seeing here.

You think you can reword gibberish into something that makes sense? Did you even stop to consider that maybe what google translate spurts out isn`t even close to what is being said? If you`re going to reword things to match the scene, you might as well not even bother translating and make up your own story.

Why don`t you try translating this into google translate

?????

or

????

What`s that? The first phrase isn`t even translated? The second phrase is translated with the exact opposite meaning?

And do you even know enough Japanese to distinguish when a conjugation of a ?-verb would be in the potential form or passive form?

You better pray to the plethora of divine entities out there that the game has kanji for specific words. And you better hope that everyone speaks standard Japanese. You also better hope that everyone in the game speaks in polite form, as opposed to slang.

EDIT// Feenie suggests you try Google Translating this "??????". Google translate gives "Winter Events" as the translation. Makes enough sense right? Only that ? means SUMMER

Spenstar

"Leave it to me"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I'm not planning to "play" the game. i'm trying to "learn" a few basics for translations and for other people who wish to see progress on this rom as its rumored to come to the US in the near 2012.
So you call "learning a few basics for translating" copying some text into Google Translate and then copying that back into a file? Anyone can do that.

And as for someone helping you decode the text files so you can "copy" and "paste." It probably won't happen any time soon just because of your attitude so far.

Sorry for being blunt, but its the truth. :/

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now you have opinions from two more well-known ROM translators.

Are you still so confident that your project will be as simple as you initially believed?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Now you have opinions from two more well-known ROM translators.

Are you still so confident that your project will be as simple as you initially believed?
If he had even read that post FAST made, he would've been apologetic even. I have to admit, after reading that post, I realized just how complicated it is, even though I understood most if not all of what was being said.

EDIT: F'ing typos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself