Hardware Help! New 3ds 10.5 WILL NOT boot with sd card in, but will boot without sd card

ThePanchamBros

Hates the Undertale Fandom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My new 3ds xl will turn on without an sd card inserted, but hen I try to turn it on with an sd card inserted the backlight comes on and nothing happens. I tried to delete homebrew off sd card, but still no luck. :(
Plz help, still have warranty so considering sending it in

Thanks,

ThePanchamBros

ThePanchamBros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, I have NOT tried to downgrade it or run an R4 card, only using basic homebrew thru menuhax (mainly emulators)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

super noob, but how do I do that,as in delete the payloads? and couldn't I just reformat the sd instead of getting another?

If you used Menuhax before, make sure you delete the Menuhax payload files off of the SD card. If not, your SD card is probably screwed and you might want to buy a new one.
super noob, but how do I do that,as in delete the payloads? and couldn't I just reformat the sd instead of getting another?

ThePanchamBros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this same problem, i deleted everything, excluding Nintendo 3DS folder
I delted literally everything, first copied it to laptop, though, then just tried only having "Nintendo 3ds" and "DCMI" on my sd no luck

hoping I don't have to send it in b/c Smash DLC and Fates come out this month and I don't want to wait :(

worst part is I just downloaded Paper Jam onto the sd....great

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think i saw a fix for this, gonna test it right now and if it's really a fix i post a reply here

TerryG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try booting without the card inserted, then insert the card while the system is on and change the home menu theme.

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I got it. Just Move your Nintendo 3DS folder from SD card to PC and boot. It will re-create it and just move back the folder without overwriting anything. It looks like just some files were corrupted. Mine booted fine just now

ThePanchamBros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try booting without the card inserted, then insert the card while the system is on and change the home menu theme.

I will, I don't have my 3ds with me currently

I got it. Just Move your Nintendo 3DS folder from SD card to PC and boot. It will re-create it and just move back the folder without overwriting anything. It looks like just some files were corrupted. Mine booted fine just now
so, take my "Nintendo 3DS" folder out of my sd, then reinsert sd and it will work fine?

ThePanchamBros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
power on without microsd card, put microsd e change the theme.
many suggest that, will try as soon as I get home where my 3ds is

kk I will try ur suggestion and the person below yous suggestion later. thanks for the help

well, I'm happy to see it doesn't appear to be a brick

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Trying this now, My sons 2ds has the same issue, thank you. Will let everyone on if this works. I didn't have this issue with my N3DS but I also didn't go straight from 10.3-10.5 like I did on the 2ds.

May take me a few minutes, have all the Pokémon CIA's on his. Also want to say that the "legit pokemon ORAS and X/Y" cias were working from 10.3-10.5

Last edited by DHall243,

DHall243

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been hearing about this, try formatting your SD card
It'll open with a fresh SD Card, its either 1 Cia's are interfering, or 2 there's an issue with the Nintendo Firmware.
If I eject my SD card and reinsert it, the CIA's will boot fine, so I don't think its that. I think its a screw up on Nintendo's part.

I got it, I had to move some files around on my SD Card to do so, but I got it.

Cia's are working as well. If anyone is interested in how I done it, id gladly share.

Last edited by DHall243,

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
You have a bad menuhax install. You can reset Home Menu without removing anything else on your SD card.

Simply go to your Nintendo 3DS folder and find the following extdata:

SD://Nintendo 3DS/ID0/ID1/extdata/00000000/0000008f/00000000
(ID0 and ID1 being the folder with the really long string of letters and numbers. If you have emunand setup, be sure to you opened the one that corresponds to your sysnand if emunand and sysnand are not linked)

Delete the contents of the 0000000 folder. (note location of this folder will be different depending on your console's region. I only know the location for USA Home Menu).

This will reset Home Menu completely. You'll have to unwrap all the game icons and restore the icon positions/folders they were in. Folders you created will not be lost though. You just have to move non system icons back into them.

Reactions: HugaTheFox

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you have menuhax installed and you update/downgrade the installed payload will no longer match and therefore when it tries to load it crashes the 3DS.
This is the issue 100% of the time when a 3DS will boot without the SD card but not with it. So the fix is as others have mentioned to remove menuhax by inserting the SD after boot and changing the theme. No point in deleting anything off the SD card or format it, you'll just cause data loss.

DHall243

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2DS Black Screen Fix after 10.5 update. May also work on 3DS.
*DO NOT FORMAT OR CHANGE ANY FILES AT THIS TIME*
Insert Your SD Card that is causing the black screen into your PC and back up.
Open SD Card and Continue into "Nintendo 3DS" and First Hex Number folder *My folder name was 74fef61c4eb6fc5597d8f632514f6b5c*
After entering the first Hex folder you will now see you system hex folder, Take note of the name. Double Check to make sure your SD card has been backed up, now format.
Insert the fresh SD card into you 3ds turn it on and let it create the new system folder, turn off the system and eject the card, reinsert your SD into your PC.
Copy your backup to the SD card, make sure to keep a backup, as long as you have this you'll always have your original system if this fails.
Open Your Nintendo 3DS and First Hex folder, you should now have two system folders, your original and the new.
Open the new System Hex Folder and copy the extdata folder, now back up to your original system hex folder and open it.
Paste the extdata folder to your original system hex folder, allow for overwrite, after this is complete back up and delete the New System Hex Folder that was created by the 3DS.

You have a bad menuhax install. You can reset Home Menu without removing anything else on your SD card.

Simply go to your Nintendo 3DS folder and find the following extdata:

SD://Nintendo 3DS/ID0/ID1/extdata/00000000/0000008f/00000000
(ID0 and ID1 being the folder with the really long string of letters and numbers. If you have emunand setup, be sure to you opened the one that corresponds to your sysnand if emunand and sysnand are not linked)

Delete the contents of the 0000000 folder. (note location of this folder will be different depending on your console's region. I only know the location for USA Home Menu).

This will reset Home Menu completely. You'll have to unwrap all the game icons and restore the icon positions/folders they were in. Folders you created will not be lost though. You just have to move non system icons back into them.
.... your way is a lot easier lol

arcticgaming

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sorry to bump this thread but I have the same issue with my new 3dsxl removing the 00000000 folder does not help..
Here is what happens deleting the folder works and I need to unwrap my icons again yes , but whenever I restart my New 3ds xl same thing happens...
Cannot boot with power and start ( to delete folder that way ) just power led and black screen....
Anyone knows what else I can do ? I tried different SDcards , reformatting them , copying content back but nothing helps....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night