Hacking Help needed with an older Wii.

Skyla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Greetings everyone~

I have recently come in a possession of a Wii that hasn't been used in give or take 4 years.
It has 3.2E version installed and from what I am told a WiiKey modchip (Not sure what Firmware version, since I can't find a way where/how to check.

My questions are the following:
1) What will happen if I allow it to update itself?
2) What will happen to the modchip if I update?

Overall, I am mainly wondering how do I proceed, so I will be able to play (newer) games again (be it with the chip or installing homebrew channel), without fearing of bricking the Wii.

I hope my questions aren't too difficult and I look forward to seeing your replies.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If I where you I should firstly hack it with Bannerbomb and install BootMii on boot2 (I guess that's it's a real old Wii)

Back up the NAND and keep that safe.

Then you can use ModMii to update and rehack the Wii ;]

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Greetings everyone~

I have recently come in a possession of a Wii that hasn't been used in give or take 4 years.
It has 3.2E version installed and from what I am told a WiiKey modchip (Not sure what Firmware version, since I can't find a way where/how to check.

Overall, I am mainly wondering how do I proceed, so I will be able to play (newer) games again (be it with the chip or installing homebrew channel), without fearing of bricking the Wii.

I hope my questions aren't too difficult and I look forward to seeing your replies.

There's no "rehack" element to this; his wii was never hacked, it was hardmodded.

It's probably a WiiKey 1.1.9c. Hardmodding is rubbish now, I also chipped mine but rely exclusively on software now. You can use pretty much any hack for that, for old times sake I'd personally Twilight hack it. Definitely install bootmii as boot2 and do a NAND dump, and keep that safe, then it's essentially safe from everything. Installing Bootmii to boot2 means you have a low level operating system before the system menu boots, so regardless of how terribly you manage to banner brick your wii or install corrupt wads or overwrite IOS you can always restore from a NAND dump (easy to do from Bootmii, put in an SD card, click a button, done), and even if you lose it you can generally use anytitledeleter and anyregionchanger to restore your wii to its original condition.

Install DVDX as a stub IOS and the HBC. Restore the trucha bug to IOS36 and Install Hermes cIOS 222 from 37 and 228 from 38 and Waninkoko's cIOS249 from 36. I'm still on 3.2e and I've never had to update it. If you don't want the SD menu which is pretty crap anyway and you can just use Triiforce or something if you really want to run a lot of wads. If you're unfamiliar with this stuff it's worth doing a little googling. Check hackmii.com for their bootmii/HBC/dvdx installer, get the twilight hack if you have Twilight Princess (you're going to need an SD card whichever method you use) and waninkoko's blog (just google his name) for his cIOS. Older mod guides like Softmii etc. can be useful for this as well and make it a breeze if you don't want to put any effort in, but I must say, dedicating time into hacking a wii properly yourself is a really fun and rewarding experience.

After that if you really want disc channel loading from the home menu use CIOSCORP or a Preloader System Menu tweak, but I would personally recommend you get a loader channel like Gamma, which there are plenty of, and if you want Gamecube loading, install MIOS and then Wiigator's GC loader. I also would never refrain from installing Gecko OS. If you want USB loading, GX is pretty good but I'd personally recommend Configurable USB Loader. CIOSCORP BRICKS YOUR WII REALLY EASILY AND TEAM TWIIZERS MADE ALL THEIR SOFTWARE INCOMPATIBLE WITH WIIS WITH CIOSCORP INSTALLED. Preloader's pretty gash too and just increases the boot up time of your wii most of the time. Loaders are best.

If you update it.. you'll still be able to mod it but I just wouldn't. There's no need. You can update specific IOS anyway with DOPMii and cIOS249 on the latest rev will basically work with anything anyway. Your modchip will stop working but it was useless compared to softmodding anyway, it's completely obsolete, so that's a moot point (I don't even think it's possible to play newer games at all with your modchip if the software was on its latest edition, unless it screens and installs specific IOS off the disc).

So basically, I recommend you go get started on that right now. If you have any issues just ask here or PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can use the guide in my sig. It updates a Wii while modding it.
Alternatively you could update through the system menu, then use modmii to hack your Wii. Ofcourse my guide is simpler and mods your Wii just as well, but you should decide for yourself. :)

Oh and don't listen to the guy above me for gods sake. He has no idea what he's talking about:
- DVDX hasn't been used for years. The homebrewchannel is now doing what DVDX did.
- Nobody restores the trucha bug anymore.
- Waninkokos cIOS is outdated.
- CIOSCORP is horrible and will screw up your Wii. Plus you don't need that anyway, since you have a modchip that will still load every game from the disc channel if you want that.
- Bannerbomb is easier than the twilight hack and doesn't require a game.
- Preloader is outdated, newer versions are called Priiloader.
- Your modchip will not be affected by updating or by modding the Wii. I still have a modchip running in my modded 4.3 Wii perfectly fine.

Skyla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
First I'd like to thank all of you for the replies.

From what I can gather, despite being conflicted what to do, it seems I should first use Bannerbomb to install BootMii on boot2, after that do a NAND dump, then move on to installing THC and possibly usb-boot support, if I'll use it.

I've looked around online abit and I'm having troubles finding any guide for Wii's under 3.4 version, so should I first somehow update to that version or just proceed with the 3.2 I have?

Reactions: 1 person

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

From what I can gather, despite being conflicted what to do, it seems I should first use Bannerbomb to install BootMii on boot2, after that do a NAND dump, then move on to installing THC and possibly usb-boot support, if I'll use it.

I've looked around online abit and I'm having troubles finding any guide for Wii's under 3.4 version, so should I first somehow update to that version or just proceed with the 3.2 I have?
Use modmii. It's the safest fastest and most complete way to mod your Wii.

http://gbatemp.net/t...-support-topic/

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Like I said guide in my sig. Works with Wiis from 3.0 onwards. Link: http://gbatemp.net/t250010-legally-modify-any-wii

Otherwise update through the system menus wifi connection and use modmii. I would still recommend my guide. ;)

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings everyone~

There's no "rehack" element to this; his wii was never hacked, it was hardmodded.

It's probably a WiiKey 1.1.9c. Hardmodding is rubbish now, I also chipped mine but rely exclusively on software now. You can use pretty much any hack for that, for old times sake I'd personally Twilight hack it. Definitely install bootmii as boot2 and do a NAND dump, and keep that safe, then it's essentially safe from everything. Installing Bootmii to boot2 means you have a low level operating system before the system menu boots, so regardless of how terribly you manage to banner brick your wii or install corrupt wads or overwrite IOS you can always restore from a NAND dump (easy to do from Bootmii, put in an SD card, click a button, done), and even if you lose it you can generally use anytitledeleter and anyregionchanger to restore your wii to its original condition.

Install DVDX as a stub IOS and the HBC. Restore the trucha bug to IOS36 and Install Hermes cIOS 222 from 37 and 228 from 38 and Waninkoko's cIOS249 from 36. I'm still on 3.2e and I've never had to update it. If you don't want the SD menu which is pretty crap anyway and you can just use Triiforce or something if you really want to run a lot of wads. If you're unfamiliar with this stuff it's worth doing a little googling. Check hackmii.com for their bootmii/HBC/dvdx installer, get the twilight hack if you have Twilight Princess (you're going to need an SD card whichever method you use) and waninkoko's blog (just google his name) for his cIOS. Older mod guides like Softmii etc. can be useful for this as well and make it a breeze if you don't want to put any effort in, but I must say, dedicating time into hacking a wii properly yourself is a really fun and rewarding experience.

After that if you really want disc channel loading from the home menu use CIOSCORP or a Preloader System Menu tweak, but I would personally recommend you get a loader channel like Gamma, which there are plenty of, and if you want Gamecube loading, install MIOS and then Wiigator's GC loader. I also would never refrain from installing Gecko OS. If you want USB loading, GX is pretty good but I'd personally recommend Configurable USB Loader. CIOSCORP BRICKS YOUR WII REALLY EASILY AND TEAM TWIIZERS MADE ALL THEIR SOFTWARE INCOMPATIBLE WITH WIIS WITH CIOSCORP INSTALLED. Preloader's pretty gash too and just increases the boot up time of your wii most of the time. Loaders are best.

If you update it.. you'll still be able to mod it but I just wouldn't. There's no need. You can update specific IOS anyway with DOPMii and cIOS249 on the latest rev will basically work with anything anyway. Your modchip will stop working but it was useless compared to softmodding anyway, it's completely obsolete, so that's a moot point (I don't even think it's possible to play newer games at all with your modchip if the software was on its latest edition, unless it screens and installs specific IOS off the disc).

So basically, I recommend you go get started on that right now. If you have any issues just ask here or PM me and I'll be happy to help.
First of all, it's DARKcorp, and second of all, only morons can make DARKcorp brick their Wii.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Everyone's so inflammatory around here nowadays. I've been off the scene for years but I've hacked 10+ Wiis before you just put in an sd card with an all purpose software that will instantly do all the work for you, and I personally thought it was a huge amount of fun to learn and put in the legwork yourself instead of just dragging over some files and running a batch process.

On a 3.2e Wii all the information I said, regardless of how dated the methodology may be, will give him exactly everything he needs, I have a 3.2e Wii that emulates NAND, runs every game available with SB loading and USB peripherals with all fixes for things like 002 errors etc. just like everyone else in the way I described, so none of the information was inaccurate. I wouldn't have minded if you were just like "This is a dated and slow method, if you want to do it quickly use modmii", but nitpicking that cIOSCORP have changed their name even though all the old cIOSCORP downloads are available and do exactly as described? Come on.

And a bajillion people a day used to fully brick their wii by installing both Preloader and cIOSCORP in the wrong order before Bootmii; there are lots of morons around.

Having Waninkoko's and Hermes IOS installed will allow him to do everything he wants to. Name something that it wouldn't.
The Bootmii installer installs DVDX with the HBC. The HBC isn't doing what DVDX used to; they're installed in parallel.
The reason nobody restores the Trucha bug is because Nintendo patched the ability to do so. He doesn't have that problem because he has an older Wii.

There's literally no reason to be hostile just because my solution is different (or even less efficient/complete) than yours. It's a board for helping people.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DVDX was discontinued nearly 2 years ago when HBC 1.0.7 was released, its purpose (enabling direct hardware access) is indeed performed by the homebrew channel based on tags in the XML file.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Everyone's so inflammatory around here nowadays. I've been off the scene for years but I've hacked 10+ Wiis before you just put in an sd card with an all purpose software that will instantly do all the work for you, and I personally thought it was a huge amount of fun to learn and put in the legwork yourself instead of just dragging over some files and running a batch process.

On a 3.2e Wii all the information I said, regardless of how dated the methodology may be, will give him exactly everything he needs, I have a 3.2e Wii that emulates NAND, runs every game available with SB loading and USB peripherals with all fixes for things like 002 errors etc. just like everyone else in the way I described, so none of the information was inaccurate. I wouldn't have minded if you were just like "This is a dated and slow method, if you want to do it quickly use modmii", but nitpicking that cIOSCORP have changed their name even though all the old cIOSCORP downloads are available and do exactly as described? Come on.

And a bajillion people a day used to fully brick their wii by installing both Preloader and cIOSCORP in the wrong order before Bootmii; there are lots of morons around.

Having Waninkoko's and Hermes IOS installed will allow him to do everything he wants to. Name something that it wouldn't.
The Bootmii installer installs DVDX with the HBC. The HBC isn't doing what DVDX used to; they're installed in parallel.
The reason nobody restores the Trucha bug is because Nintendo patched the ability to do so. He doesn't have that problem because he has an older Wii.

There's literally no reason to be hostile just because my solution is different (or even less efficient/complete) than yours. It's a board for helping people.
Nandsave emulation, proper loading of ios reloading games, removal of controller lag bug, removal of the second usb port lag bug, usage of the latest loaders wich only support d2x cios and hermes cios, fraglist support, Universal return to channel method.

That's just the d2x cios...and in any case mandatory.

With modmii you'll have to option to install various "safety holes".
The "solution' you are presenting is bound to get the OP in trouble.
It's outdated, REALLY outdated and dangerous.
plus it's FULL of false statements because of the outdating.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Nandsave emulation, proper loading of ios reloading games, removal of controller lag bug, removal of the second usb port lag bug, usage of the latest loaders wich only support d2x cios and hermes cios, fraglist support, Universal return to channel method.

I said Waninkoko's and Hermes cIOS, like I did originally. That's not going to stop him from using "loaders wich (sic) only support d2x cios and hermes cios". IOS reloading has been possible since the first USB loaders. The only problem games are a handful like Red Steel and they've always been useable via the alt.dol method, but sure that's useful to have them loaded on demand, but again, that's like 8 games and they're all gash. The controller lag bug only exists in cIOSX rev 20 and 21 with an IOS56 base, I haven't for a moment recommended to use that. The usb port lag bug only exists in cIOSX rev19d2x. Again, I haven't told him to install that. I really doubt most people are really going to need nandsave emulation, and return to channel method saves you what, 5 seconds?

The "solution' you are presenting is bound to get the OP in trouble.
It's outdated, REALLY outdated and dangerous.
plus it's FULL of false statements because of the outdating.

No it won't.
No it isn't.
No it isn't.

This used to be standard practise and everyone did it, it might be dated, but it certainly isn't "bound to get someone in trouble", otherwise the scene wouldn't exist. That's such an overreaction to a complete non-issue. For ages before we even had preloader thousands of people did this with no problem, and with the advent of Bootmii your wii is pretty much unbrickable.

In fact, Nintendo had that lovely "update your boot2" patch that bricked people's wiis, so if you update your Wii legitimately to install modmii you have a bigger chance of bricking (even if it is a ridiculously small chance) it than through installing bootmii first.

Sure, install modmii for a more complete, efficient package, but if you're not interested in nand save emulation etc, which I'm sure applies to the vast majority of people, either method will get you what you want: the ability to play all released games/vc/wiiware. Stop being so dramatic.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Blocking IOS reloading was not introduced until d2x v6. The alt dol method worked for games with 1 or 2 alt-dol's, like Red Steel, but did not work for games like Metroid Prime Trilogy or COD 3 (previously only worked via darkcorp or neek+di or official disc).

Newer wii's can only install bootmii as IOS, not as boot2, so unless you have an infectus and know how to use it, bootmii as IOS normally isn't enough to recover from any kind of brick. Installing priiloader allows you to recover from bricks that don't involve stubbed\uninstalled system menu IOS or system menu, so priiloader is very important.

Even if you can install bootmii as boot2 (i.e. vulnerable boot1), it will not update the version # of boot2 installed. So for example, if u have boot2v2 installed, then u install bootmii as boot2, it's still labelled as v2, and performing an official update will overwrite bootmii as boot2 (which can be reinstalled later) and install boot2v4. Also, nintendo's boot2 update code has been cleaned up, so the only real chance of brick during an official update is to lose power at a critical moment, but make no mistake, installing bootmii as boot2 before an update does not mean it will not get overwritten and updated anyways.

You talk as if users have to update their wii officially before using ModMii, they do not. Anyways, you obviously have your facts mixed up and some are just plain outdated. I have more to say, but I'll end it here, please don't go on a rant, I'm not trying to attack you personally or anything, but your method is inferior to ModMii in more ways than mentioned in this post.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@[member='Alexrose']:

You asked to tell what your setup does'nt do.
I just answered.
MPT is'nt a "gash" game in my book.

Recommending Dop-mii of all apps is DANGEROUS to noobs. You should know.

What's this crap about installing modmii?
Seems you do not even know what it is or does. Shame on you.
How can you even properly discuss this with me?

Why do it the hard way? And have a out of date softmod as the end result?
Why not have the available protections?
AND RECOMMEND THEM?
READ UP, please.

[ :ninja: thank you XFlak!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands