Hacking Help needed to understand Wii U CFW Installing Guide / Why Do I need to buy a DS Game?

PlasticK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
hi, i bought a used wii u and want to install the latest and greatest custom firmware on it. i am reading a couple of guides since a week and trying to get my grasp on this stuff.

www.reddit.com/r/wiiuhacks recommends wiiu.guide

here on gbatemp i found out kafluke noob guide is recommended.

the kafluke says in his guide: "A Wii U with a firmware no greater than 5.5.2 (5.5.2 is the latest). If you have 5.5.1 firmware then stay where you are at. There is no reason to upgrade to 5.5.2."

may i ask why? what is the benefit of not upgradin to 5.5.2?
i got a 5.5.1 wii u. i already setup a wifi connection and my console already downloaded the system update. no i have turned auto downloads off, but the update files are on my console already. how do i delete them?

and it kind of seems easier to install cfw from 5.5.2 than do all the dns blocking on 5.5.1
i can't block ip adresses with my router because i got cable internet and must use the router from my provider and it doesn't have these options. can i still access the eshop with my 5.5.1 wii u without updating? and is there an easy way to check which games the previous owner bought that i can redownload for free?

and why do you have to actually buy a nintendo ds game from eshop to have the comfort of autobooting into cfw?
i don't really understand that, because on psp, ps3, xbox & 360 you never needed that once you successfully installed a custom firmware.

for switch there is this price guide to find out which game is currently the cheapest on the different region eshops: https://eshop-prices.com/
i would like to know what the cheapest option is to buy a ds game (is it easy to buy from foreign eshops on wii u?)

is there a glossary that briefly explains all the homebrew / custom firmware terms?
it is tiring to not 100% know what they stand for and guess what they mean.
i just watched a youtube video about installing homebrew on wii u and i got a major headache after the guy repeated the word "mocha" 100 times.

thanks to the people who will give me helpful answers. trolls will be ignored.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5.5.1 is much easier to initiate the browserhax entry point (which is what is needed to install HaxChi) when I wrote that section there was no reason to upgrade. I eventually updated mine to 5.5.2 for the reasons you mentioned (no need for NNU Patcher etc) but I already had CBHC and HaxChi. If you update to 5.5.2 before installing HaxChi you're gonna have a hell of a time getting to Homebrew Launcher for the first time to install HaxChi. But it's doable.

As far as your question about buying a game for CFW your logic is a fallacy. Just because you didn't have to buy anything for other system CFWs has absolutely no bearing on what you must do for Wii U. I remember back in the mod chip days of ps1 and Xbox classic you had to spend 30+ dollars on a team xecuter mod chip plus have the skills and materials to solder it in.

If you want 100% reliable HaxChi CFW then you MUST buy a DS game. Period. That's how the exploit works. If you're too cheap to buy a DS game then good luck trying to run browserhax and mocha every time you reboot your Wii u. May the force be with you

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Run NNU patcher
2. Buy DS game
3. Install Haxchi
4. Upgrade to 5.5.2

Don't follow any video tutorial most are out of date.

Haxchi does everything you need and more than worth the price of the DS game.

In terms of working out the cheapest DS game, go to the eshop and look, there aren't that many :P

HyeVltg3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont mean to Hijack (but Ima do it any ways, teehee)

Since we're talking about Installing CFW, I've been using Loadiine GX2 since 5.3.2 and after a long break I just dusted off my WiiU to play again and get an update on the WiiU Hack Scene and see that CFW is finally ready.

I see the flow chart says "Play games off SD > Loadiine_GX2" but "USB? > go Haxchi" can Haxchi not do SD games?! or does it also mean "BUT if you wanna play on USB ExtHDD now, get CFW" ?

Last edited by HyeVltg3,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont mean to Hijack (but Ima do it any ways, teehee)

Since we're talking about Installing CFW, I've been using Loadiine GX2 since 5.3.2 and after a long break I just dusted off my WiiU to play again and get an update on the WiiU Hack Scene and see that CFW is finally ready.

I see the flow chart says "Play games off SD > Loadiine_GX2" but "USB? > go Haxchi" can Haxchi not do SD games?! or does it also mean "BUT if you wanna play on USB ExtHDD now, get CFW" ?
HaxChi is the entry point. If you want to play games off SD you have to use Loadiine GX2. If you want to play your games from USB you need to use WUP Installer GX2. HaxChi really has nothing to do with the loaders. (Unless you're trying to install a game to USB that requires CFW)

Reactions: HyeVltg3

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, i bought a used wii u and want to install the latest and greatest custom firmware on it. i am reading a couple of guides since a week and trying to get my grasp on this stuff.

the kafluke says in his guide: "A Wii U with a firmware no greater than 5.5.2 (5.5.2 is the latest). If you have 5.5.1 firmware then stay where you are at. There is no reason to upgrade to 5.5.2."

i got a 5.5.1 wii u. i already setup a wifi connection and my console already downloaded the system update. no i have turned auto downloads off, but the update files are on my console already. how do i delete them?

and it kind of seems easier to install cfw from 5.5.2 than do all the dns blocking on 5.5.1
i can't block ip adresses with my router because i got cable internet and must use the router from my provider and it doesn't have these options. can i still access the eshop with my 5.5.1 wii u without updating? and is there an easy way to check which games the previous owner bought that i can redownload for free?

and why do you have to actually buy a nintendo ds game from eshop to have the comfort of autobooting into cfw?
i don't really understand that, because on psp, ps3, xbox & 360 you never needed that once you successfully installed a custom firmware.

for switch there is this price guide to find out which game is currently the cheapest on the different region eshops: https://eshop-prices.com/
i would like to know what the cheapest option is to buy a ds game (is it easy to buy from foreign eshops on wii u?)

is there a glossary that briefly explains all the homebrew / custom firmware terms?
i just watched a youtube video about installing homebrew on wii u and i got a major headache after the guy repeated the word "mocha" 100 times.

The web hack to initiate the mod that allows CFW and the installation and running of installed (non-bought) games is much much harder to do under 5.5.2 than 5.5.1

5.5.1 works every time. With 5.5.2 it can take 20+ tries of starting the system, going to the web page/having it fail/unplug/plug back in/restart/try again.

If you still have the linked NintendoID of the previous user tied to a Mii on your Wii U - unless you have their password and can change the email address and password to one that you own and know I wouldn't recommend using their account to try and download anything. If you install CBHC and they delete their account your Wii U turns into a brick if you downloaded the DS game under their account.

You can get a DS game for about $7.50 with tax in the US. That's just the way it works.

You can stay on 5.5.1 and run nnpatch to gain access to the eShop. As bootmonster said do that, buy the game, install Haxchi or CBHC and then upgrade to 5.5.2. Then you can use Haxchi when you want to run Homebrew or run any game with DLC or CBHC to make it turn-key and have it autoboot into CFW.

PlasticK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
i am very impressed and honored by the helpful responses after the unreadable and comprehensive mess i posted. i expected trolling.

i am not too cheap to buy a ds game, i just wanted a technical explanation to understand why. i thought it would make the process easier and nothing else.

so guys i have this problem:

1. my wii u is on 5.5.1 ofw (E)
2. i setup a wifi connection but forgot to use the custom dns ip adresses from here and my wii u downloaded the 5.5.2 update in the background,
but i turned off my wii u when it prompted me to update. i am still on 5.5.1 but the 5.5.2 update files are now stored on my console it seems
3. now i have edited the network settings of my wii u to use the custom dns
4. i clicked on the eshop bag and linked a nintendo id to an eshop account <-- my console allowed me to do that
5. but i can't enter the eshop, i get an error message that it could not connect. when it turn off the custom dns settings, my wii u prompts me to do the update

does NNU patcher even run on ofw wii u consoles? the github page says it's only compatible with firmware 5.3.2
what if i can't connect to eshop even with nnu patcher?

sorry for the noobnes. and i want to make a partial nnand backup only. no 64gb sdcard at hand, only 32gb. i ordered a 64gig sdxc on sale, but it got canceled by the shop.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

on 5.5.1 or lower you dont have to buy a ds vc game but the downside to that is the exploit doesnt always work and sometimes will just cause the system to freeze i personally suggest just going with haxchi which is literally just an icon on your home menu that boots into homebrew

PlasticK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Thanks for the answers, guys.

Another question that I haven't found an answer to:

My used Wii U and its gamepad are heavily scratched. If I decide to sell this unit and buy another one in prettier shape, I have to create a new Nintendo ID / eShop Account and buy a ds game again. Is that correct?
I read the eshop downloads on Wii u are tied to console, not account.

Candre

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, I'm new here and I've been searching about hacking a Wii U. Since I started to search and read some guides and forums about, Some questions came up and I didn't found the answer on internet. So, I'll ask you, since you have a lot more of knowledge than I do.
1- Do I really need to have a CFW (Custom Firmware) to install and play games from USB or Internal Memory? There's no way I can do it without CFW?
2- If I install a Custom Firmware, I can go back to my Original Firmware someday? (I know, why I would do this? But the question still valid)

For now, these are the questions that are "punching" my mind. If I get more, I'll post them here. Thank you!

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm new here and I've been searching about hacking a Wii U. Since I started to search and read some guides and forums about, Some questions came up and I didn't found the answer on internet. So, I'll ask you, since you have a lot more of knowledge than I do.
1- Do I really need to have a CFW (Custom Firmware) to install and play games from USB or Internal Memory? There's no way I can do it without CFW?
2- If I install a Custom Firmware, I can go back to my Original Firmware someday? (I know, why I would do this? But the question still valid)

For now, these are the questions that are "punching" my mind. If I get more, I'll post them here. Thank you!
1. Only custom channels and DLC is when you need CFW. If you're just playing a regular game with no DLC you can do it without CFW. If you want a homebrew channel or some other custom title you will need CFW. If you use Wii U USB Helper as suggested it will tell you if you need CFW before you even download the title.
2. All Wii u hacks are completely reversible. It's easy to "unhack". You shouldn't try and sell a "hacked Wii u with HaxChi". That would require the buyer to use the same NNID that was used to setup HaxChi.

Reactions: Candre

Candre

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1. Only custom channels and DLC is when you need CFW. If you're just playing a regular game with no DLC you can do it without CFW. If you want a homebrew channel or some other custom title you will need CFW. If you use Wii U USB Helper as suggested it will tell you if you need CFW before you even download the title.
2. All Wii u hacks are completely reversible. It's easy to "unhack". You shouldn't try and sell a "hacked Wii u with HaxChi". That would require the buyer to use the same NNID that was used to setup HaxChi.

Thanks for the response man! ^^
3. So, if I don't need CFW to install games, all I need is the exploit (loadiine I guess), the WUP Installer and the games/updates?
4. If I install games and their updates through this method, there's a chance of some problems if my console gets updated? Just by installing games? (My Wii U is already on 5.5.2, but who knows if there's a new update? xD).

I know that loadiine website don't work with 5.5.2, but I can acess the link from WiiU Guide.
I'm sorry if I'm wrong, just trying to know about what I can do, and what I can't.

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant mocha sig patch run games with dlc?
no need for cfw?

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember back in the mod chip days of ps1 and Xbox classic you had to spend 30+ dollars on a team xecuter mod chip plus have the skills and materials to solder it in.

VERY true. Most of the older consoles required a Mod Chip to boot Homebrew. Even though you can flash the Xbox 360 DVD drive to play backups, you still won't be able to run Homebrew/Unsigned Apps. And to install and run Homebrew on xbox 360 required a mod chip for JTAG (Old Method) or RGH/RGH2. You can even buy the chip that enables you to have 2 Nands, One modded and one Stock. I think its an addon mod chip.

I use to mod many xbox 360 consoles with the RGH/Jtag Mod and the DemoN TX Mod Chips back in the day. And a lot of times people came to me with a bricked Xbox 360 because they tried to install the mod chip themselves without any SMD Soldering experience at all, so they paid me to fix their consoles due to user error. And those Mod Chips were not cheap when they first released.

Paying $5 or less for a CFW solution for a console is more then worth it. And on top of that, its the most easiest console to install CFW on. That I can remember anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans