Hardware [HELP] Need to send in a N3DSXL for repair, how screwed am I? (CWF'd)

kingawsume

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Top screen busted, and now it won't even boot, with or without the micro SD (I suspect there's a fault in the ribbon cable causing a short). Attempted to repair, stripped a screw.

Nintendo requires a populated SD slot, but I don't have a spare to use. Is there a way to back-up my CFW to PC, and just send it in that way? Can I just buy a new microSD, stick it in, and send it in that way?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo requires a populated SD slot
When I sent mine in, they explicitly told me to take out the SD card and the stylus. Are you saying that you didn't install Luma to your NAND, such that it wasn't booting without an SD card inserted?

Is there a way to back-up my CFW to PC
b9s is definitely installed to your NAND. If you ever wanted to start over with a fresh SD card, all you would really need is boot.firm (Luma) and boot.3dsx (the Homebrew Launcher), which you can easily download.

Nintendo might not repair your unit if they find CFW installed on it, though.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

kingawsume

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I sent mine in, they explicitly told me to take out the SD card and the stylus. Are you saying that you didn't install Luma to your NAND, such that it wasn't booting without an SD card inserted?
My email says, quote: "If you are sending a Nintendo 3DS Family system, you must include the SD or microSD card, leaving it in the system." And it was booting without an SD inserted, that's how I deleted the few DSiware HB apps I had, but it no longer boots at all, not even into recovery mode. My hope is that Nintendo whacks in a new screen and doesn't look deeper than that. Unless they have a reason to suspect that it's had software tampering, I don't think they'll go looking for any.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My email says, quote: "If you are sending a Nintendo 3DS Family system, you must include the SD or microSD card, leaving it in the system."
Huh. Well, it was a few years ago that I sent mine in. I guess things have changed in the meantime. Noted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple